8 hours ago, Thehulk said:

Newton game abandoned at 90mins due to icy pitch. Game was 1-1 at the time

Pitch inspected at 9 am and is perfect. Cant guarantee we won't have a subsequent snowstorm but game on,

On 06/12/2017 at 13:15, LeedsPhil said:

Wigtown got a HOME draw in R2 of the Southern Counties FA Challenge Cup, for their one match of the season (unless they progress, of course).

vs Lochmaben at Trammandford Park, 2pm Saturday 20th January.

10th February 2018

SCFA Challenge Cup Round 2 result 

Wigtown & Bladnoch   1   Lochmaben   5

Does anyone know if this a one off match, or an indication that W&B are intending to return to the South of Scotland League next season ?

Edited by Robert James
spelling error

12 minutes ago, Robert James said:

10th February 2018

SCFA Challenge Cup Round 2 result 

Wigtown & Bladnoch   1   Lochmaben   5

Does anyone know if this a one off match, or an indication that W&B are intending to return to the South of Scotland League next season ?

The way I remember it, they were always due to compete in some of the cup competitions this year to keep their memberships ticking over.

3 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Wigtown will be back next season according to there chairman today

Glad to hear.

Just now back home in the NorthEast after an enjoyable full day out to this one, by trains (to Edinburgh then to Lockerbie, all on the bargain Scotrail Club50 £17 return deal) and buses (changing in Dumfries). Stepped out of the house at 6am, to arrive just five minutes before kick-off, but in good time for the minute's silence for the young player from Nithsdale Wanderers.

Wigtown played really well for a side that had just been assembled - as evidenced by a chat with the captain's wife who said that he hadn't previously been attached to Wigtown nor to any other club. The Wigtown teamsheet listed 22 players with registration numbers, not just today's 11 + 2 subs, so that's a positive indication for competing fully next season.

Wigtown took the lead just before the half hour and were looking good. A shame then that they not only conceded an equaliser just before the break but also one in first half stoppage time, to go in 1-2 down - undeserved! Wigtown held their own for half an hour of the second period before conceding three in the last 15 minutes to make the scoreline seem more one-sided than the match actually was. I was particularly impressed by the keeper, who made some sharp saves. He didn't deserve to be picking the ball out of the back of his net five times today.

A pleasant set-up at Blairmount Park, especially when approached on foot from the town centre bus stop via a path through the woods.

I headcounted 42 watching, one of whom was a good pal who had driven up from Leicestershire for this match and who kindly dropped me off at Lockerbie station on his way back, thereby permitting me to get an earlier than planned train and thereby an onward one that went all the way home - I had been expecting the last leg of this trek to have been the 'delights' of a Night Bus.

All the very best for Wigtown's return next season.

Edited by LeedsPhil

• 2 weeks later...

IT has been brought to my attention comments made about me on this site by The Demon ,I would like to make it clear that if you have any more comments to make about me or my family I am sure you know where I stay so I will await your knock on my door to discuss your "rancid" remarks.Ireally hope you are not member of any sosfl club as I have taken this further and I WILL find out who you are .yours most  sincerely  the real Eric Houston ps I await your call

On 11/02/2018 at 00:38, LeedsPhil said:

Just now back home in the NorthEast after an enjoyable full day out to this one, by trains (to Edinburgh then to Lockerbie, all on the bargain Scotrail Club50 £17 return deal) and buses (changing in Dumfries). Stepped out of the house at 6am, to arrive just five minutes before kick-off, but in good time for the minute's silence for the young player from Nithsdale Wanderers.

Wigtown played really well for a side that had just been assembled - as evidenced by a chat with the captain's wife who said that he hadn't previously been attached to Wigtown nor to any other club. The Wigtown teamsheet listed 22 players with registration numbers, not just today's 11 + 2 subs, so that's a positive indication for competing fully next season.

Wigtown took the lead just before the half hour and were looking good. A shame then that they not only conceded an equaliser just before the break but also one in first half stoppage time, to go in 1-2 down - undeserved! Wigtown held their own for half an hour of the second period before conceding three in the last 15 minutes to make the scoreline seem more one-sided than the match actually was. I was particularly impressed by the keeper, who made some sharp saves. He didn't deserve to be picking the ball out of the back of his net five times today.

A pleasant set-up at Blairmount Park, especially when approached on foot from the town centre bus stop via a path through the woods.

I headcounted 42 watching, one of whom was a good pal who had driven up from Leicestershire for this match and who kindly dropped me off at Lockerbie station on his way back, thereby permitting me to get an earlier than planned train and thereby an onward one that went all the way home - I had been expecting the last leg of this trek to have been the 'delights' of a Night Bus.

All the very best for Wigtown's return next season.

Good news for next season.

Also I notice that Wigtown has retained its SFA licence despite taking a year out. So its back to the Scottish FA Cup in 2018/19. Newton Stewart now have an entry licence. Are any other non-licensed SoSL clubs preparing to follow suit (eg Heston, Bonnyton, etc) ?

8 hours ago, Robert James said:

Good news for next season.

Also I notice that Wigtown has retained its SFA licence despite taking a year out. So its back to the Scottish FA Cup in 2018/19. Newton Stewart now have an entry licence. Are any other non-licensed SoSL clubs preparing to follow suit (eg Heston, Bonnyton, etc) ?

Not too sure on the whole licence/ LL thing (don't think the SFA are either!) but surely if Heston keeps playing at Palmerston the ground issue is taken care off. The rest ie manager coaches, physio and admin are if not easier certainly less expensive. Bonnyton still has a fair bit to go as do Mids.

The rest are still a long and expensive step away IMO. Final issue is practicality and desire.

15 hours ago, info said:

Not too sure on the whole licence/ LL thing (don't think the SFA are either!) but surely if Heston keeps playing at Palmerston the ground issue is taken care off. The rest ie manager coaches, physio and admin are if not easier certainly less expensive. Bonnyton still has a fair bit to go as do Mids.

The rest are still a long and expensive step away IMO. Final issue is practicality and desire.

Helpful response thanks.....andI  look forward to seeing Wigtown back in action 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 30/03/2018 at 22:26, Robert James said:

But have Wigtown actually re-applied ? Apparently  the SoSL deadline is tomorrow (?)

I was wrong about the SoSL deadline for new applicants. It is apparently the 30th April.

Has anyone heard if there are any new applicants, and  are any clubs leaving the SoSL ? Has Wigtown confirmed that it is rejoining the league for 2018/19 ? 

Congratulations to Threave on being champions.

Edited by Robert James

33 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I was wrong about the SoSL deadline for new applicants. It is apparently the 30th April.

Has anyone heard if there are any new applicants, and  are any clubs leaving the SoSL ? Has Wigtown confirmed that it is rejoining the league for 2018/19 ? 

Congratulations to Threave on being champions.

Other than Wigtown there doesn't seem to be anyone else rumoured. Kello Rovers rumour earlier in the year was shut down pretty quick.

If there's going to be a truly new addition it's likely to be another Bonnyton Thistle, who if I remember correctly slipped under the rumour radar last year before they were announced as joining.

With Wigtown's return likely to take the league to 16 clubs next year, i'm not sure the SoS are in a recruiting spree in case they get too big for a single division.

15 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Other than Wigtown there doesn't seem to be anyone else rumoured. Kello Rovers rumour earlier in the year was shut down pretty quick.

If there's going to be a truly new addition it's likely to be another Bonnyton Thistle, who if I remember correctly slipped under the rumour radar last year before they were announced as joining.

With Wigtown's return likely to take the league to 16 clubs next year, i'm not sure the SoS are in a recruiting spree in case they get too big for a single division.

Helpful thanks

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Helpful thanks

I had a look to see when Bonnyton popped up as applying. They, Annan & Stranraer reserves weren't mentioned until the end of May. So a bit like what we've seen with the EoS taking a few weeks to accept applications, it will probably the same with the SoS.

Just been on Junior League Pie and Bovril. Somebody on there suggesting that Wigtown, Creetown and Lochmaben won't be competing next season. Hope there is no basis to this, anybody heard anything substantial?

31 minutes ago, left half said:

Just been on Junior League Pie and Bovril. Somebody on there suggesting that Wigtown, Creetown and Lochmaben won't be competing next season. Hope there is no basis to this, anybody heard anything substantial?

Not heard any whispers about this.

There is a rumour however that the SoSL has been talking to the EoS.  Anyone else heard this ?

Either way, rumours can be very misleading, especially at present when the wind of change is blowing strongly.