2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The SFA are not interested in the flaws and problems faced by clubs. They have their "Pyramid" as far as they are concerned.

This is it in a nutshell. As far as the SFA is concerned there is a fully functioning pyramid, they are not looking at any changes. Stewart Reagan has already been paid his bonus for implementing the pyramid

19 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Some people were trying to explain that to you years ago. The SFA had to create the appearance of a pyramid to keep UEFA happy on club licensing, but had no interest in forming a genuine one any more than the SJFA ever did. Looks like Wigtown have paid the penalty by having a surprisingly good season and not being able to contemplate actually winning the championship, because of the bizarre forced progression angle, which isn't a feature in most European countries as far as I'm aware.

Not sure why they had to explain it to me, I have always thought this.

It's quite a disservice to the SoSFL if being honest.  We're hampered by being a small populated area within the 2nd largest county in Scotland.  Ideally, there would be an SOS West League, but even that would bring its issues.  We're also hampered by Newton Stewart and Wigtownshire Rugby Clubs who attract a lot of promising footballers.

I'm sure Wigtown will be back, and many will hope that's the case. 

Who knows what the future holds? But, while the pyramid system is a short term success in my eyes, it has plenty of flaws and needs to adapt to the Geography of Scotland and it's inhabitants.  Will it happen. I doubt it.  

On 14/07/2017 at 17:28, left half said:

Holding a book festival for a few days does not equate to running a football club 12 months a year.

I need to ask, have you been to Wigtown ? It is nearly 60 miles from Dumfries,, has no industry and has a population of less than 1,000. I think the club has achieved massively in the SOS League in the past few years. Why are people hell bent on insisting that they must have ambition and move into the LOL. Do turkeys vote for Christmas ? Such a move would threaten the very existence of the club.

calm down. yes, I have been to Wigtown. I am aware of what sort of place it is, and like it a lot.

If a village team can challenge at the top of the Bundesliga (Hoffenheim) then I fail to see why it is so utterly beynd the wit of anyone to get a team like Wigtown competing at national level.

I did make suggestions in my first post as to how this could happen over time (I accept it wont happen overnight and shouldnt happen until there is a proper infrastructure in place).

Once it is fixed though then clubs should be in the pyramid to progress. If there is no intent to progress then why bother?

anyway, as I have said already, I hope the club will be back fitter and stronger for next season.

19 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

If a village team can challenge at the top of the Bundesliga (Hoffenheim) then I fail to see why it is so utterly beynd the wit of anyone to get a team like Wigtown competing at national level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietmar_Hopp

Completely agree if Wigtown gets one of these. What a ludicrous comparison.

Sorry, you ain't getting this my friend. The town is remote, very small and is in an area where the demographics point to an ageing population with many youngsters leaving the area. Someone asked what the point is....like junior clubs, SOS clubb almost without exception have very close links with their community and there is a pride associated with playing for your home town

I do not understand those who are hell bent on pushing clubs to a point where they are not financially viable.

Hoffenheim may have originated in a German village (pop 3500) but that village is less than a mile away from a town of 12,000 (where they now play anyway!) and are 20 miles away from Mannheim, pop 300,000. That said, Gretna showed what can happen with a bit of money (for good or bad) when spent on a smalltown team (and I guess Tarff Rovers in the SoS going back a bit) but if I were going to invest in a team from the SW, Stranraer would be the most obvious one as an established name, on an A road and railway line, stadium in place etc.. An issue facing any club in rural Scotland is getting punters out the pub and through the gate. Or keeping guys out the pub and playing for longer which is also an issue in terms of recruitment.

Gretna and Tarff are good examples of how not to financially sustain football clubs. The money was available over a relatively short term but there was no business plans in place for income generation to ensure robust funding streams were in place. Tarff were founded in 1873 and had the plug pulled eventually due to financial and other issues. I suspect Gretna have onl

y risen Phoenix style because they are much closer to populated centres and better road networks.

9 hours ago, left half said:

Gretna and Tarff are good examples of how not to financially sustain football clubs. The money was available over a relatively short term but there was no business plans in place for income generation to ensure robust funding streams were in place. Tarff were founded in 1873 and had the plug pulled eventually due to financial and other issues. I suspect Gretna have only risen Phoenix style because they are much closer to populated centres and better road networks.

It's about time Tarff made a comeback

Only thing that annoys me is teams can "Come and go" at pyramid level. If a team has to fold however the circumstances within a professional set up, they should not be allowed straight back in. Surely there are pub leagues or amateur leagues if they return.
I freely admit my views on a team going into administration is they should be ejected from the league structure so I am fairly hard-core.

Only thing that annoys me is teams can "Come and go" at pyramid level. If a team has to fold however the circumstances within a professional set up, they should not be allowed straight back in. Surely there are pub leagues or amateur leagues if they return.
I freely admit my views on a team going into administration is they should be ejected from the league structure so I am fairly hard-core.

Teams should be able to rejoin at the lowest level if there is space for them. Unfortunately with the juniors and amateurs outside the pyramid, tier 6 is the lowest level.

On 16 June 2017 at 11:51, Aguerooooo said:

1 Wigtown

2 Threave

3 Bonnyton

4 Lochar

5 Mids

6 Newton Stuart

7 Uppers

8 Annan

9 Heston

10 Abbey Vale

11 St Cuthberts

12 Creetown

13 Stranraer

14 Nithsdale

15 Lochmaben

16 YM

21 minutes ago, Bigstuff said:

I am amazed that the Wigtown demise has not been in the local press or have they not been dealt with yet for their failure to fulfill their league fixtures

There was a South of Scotland meeting this week to discuss and deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...