Seems that the SoSFL will be a 15 team league this season with Wigtown having withdrawn from all competitions for the 2017/18 season!

Sad times to see another team going down the pipes (especially one that has been so important to me)

Somone had to take a hit playerwise with another team (Stranraer) coming in and drawing players from a lightly populated area,

Not enough Maahars players at the moment to keep 3 decent sides going. Wigtown like Newton Stewart have also had th big expense of club liscencing to contend with. 

Hope a year off will allow them to regroup. SFA could cause a problem if they are unable to field a team in the Scottish Cup.

Hope Hampden dos,nt get over officious after bending over backwards to allow certain CB teams into the Cup,

This comes as a real shock to me... Wigtown have been pretty successful recently - league champions in 2014-15, third the following season, runner-up in the season just ended... so to go to the wall, whether temporary or permanently, is really surprising. Only got licensed recently too.

Seem to have withdrawn from today's Scottish Cup draw at the last minute and while that's probably better than scratching I imagine they could still face sanctions.

As regards Stranraer - are they recruiting new players, or just using U20s who already played Development League midweek? Also didn't Fleet Star folding free-up some players?

Also, mentioning Fleet - will Wigtown have to put a "scratch XI" together to play in Southern Counties Cup R2 come January?

2 hours ago, theProdigy said:

Seems that the SoSFL will be a 15 team league this season with Wigtown having withdrawn from all competitions for the 2017/18 season!

Sad times to see another team going down the pipes (especially one that has been so important to me)

You were the heart and sole of that club Martin. I have been speaking to a couple of last seasons players and majority of them left as u were no longer at the club. i imagine that when u return from the states the players will return. 

All the best mate, 

Ivan. 

It takes a bit of understanding  but the Maahars catchement area which takes in Newton Stewart Wigtown Creetown has a TOTAL  population off under 30000 with the big majority retired and over football age. So at certain times in the cycle the are not enough good local players to go round. all three teams have at on time or other filled up their team with Stranraer players and naturally when a team comes in from there a lot of these players fancy playing for their home side.

Re development league the distances  travelling and training in previous years put a lot of Stranraer boys off so they played in the South.Wigtown relied almost exclusivly on these boys last season so when they started drifting away they landed with this problem.

Hard to keep up with the South rules nowadays but in days gone by having to play in the Challenge cup was an urban myth to keep Stranraer QoS and Annan playing in it!   

Perhaps also related to the champion being forced to go up, against the wishes of those who want to just enjoy playing their football locally. Anti incentive to success, so no point bothering. 

The EoSFL is more likely to have a Licensed champion this season though, so there should be the opportunity to 'do an HFL' by accidentally-on-purpose losing an unwanted pyramid playoff.

Really???
What a shock. A successful side for past few years. After throwing the league last year the players jump ship now. These people who say they didn't throw the league last season want their head looked at.
St Cuthberts will be next club to go down this root when Mr Frazer starts losing the players they signed when they find out what he is like.

4 hours ago, info said:

It takes a bit of understanding  but the Maahars catchement area which takes in Newton Stewart Wigtown Creetown has a TOTAL  population off under 30000 with the big majority retired and over football age. So at certain times in the cycle the are not enough good local players to go round. all three teams have at on time or other filled up their team with Stranraer players and naturally when a team comes in from there a lot of these players fancy playing for their home side.

Re development league the distances  travelling and training in previous years put a lot of Stranraer boys off so they played in the South.Wigtown relied almost exclusivly on these boys last season so when they started drifting away they landed with this problem.

Hard to keep up with the South rules nowadays but in days gone by having to play in the Challenge cup was an urban myth to keep Stranraer QoS and Annan playing in it!   

As you say not much of a population to keep 3 sides going on for local players. Always sad to see a club go, hopefully they will comeback.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Highlights the absurdity of this league being treated as the Pyramid feeder for the West of Scotland.

Can you no read!!! 

The guy is gutted he's put his heart and soul into the club probably worked his Bollox off!! 

3 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

Perhaps also related to the champion being forced to go up, against the wishes of those who want to just enjoy playing their football locally. Anti incentive to success, so no point bothering. 

The EoSFL is more likely to have a Licensed champion this season though, so there should be the opportunity to 'do an HFL' by accidentally-on-purpose losing an unwanted pyramid playoff.

I wouldn't imagine this helps clubs down that way who probably just want to play local as you say. Players are maybe more likely to join a non licensed side or Stranraer reserves so they don't have to go up.

Edited by cowdenbeath

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Can you no read!!! 

The guy is gutted he's put his heart and soul into the club probably worked his Bollox off!! 

I'm sure he has, but what has that got to do with what I posted? :huh:

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

This comes as a real shock to me... Wigtown have been pretty successful recently - league champions in 2014-15, third the following season, runner-up in the season just ended... so to go to the wall, whether temporary or permanently, is really surprising. Only got licensed recently too.

Seem to have withdrawn from today's Scottish Cup draw at the last minute and while that's probably better than scratching I imagine they could still face sanctions.

As regards Stranraer - are they recruiting new players, or just using U20s who already played Development League midweek? Also didn't Fleet Star folding free-up some players?

Also, mentioning Fleet - will Wigtown have to put a "scratch XI" together to play in Southern Counties Cup R2 come January?

Have just found out South Cup rules state "Participation in the Challenge Cup shall be mandatory for all clubs in membership of the Southern Counties FA". so Wigtown and the Southern Counties will have to deal with that.

In my defence I am sure that sentence has been added recently melud!  

1 hour ago, info said:

Have just found out South Cup rules state "Participation in the Challenge Cup shall be mandatory for all clubs in membership of the Southern Counties FA". so Wigtown and the Southern Counties will have to deal with that.

In my defence I am sure that sentence has been added recently melud!  

Fleet Star had to cobble together a scratch team last season which made me think of it - only lost 2-1 at Heston.

Wigtown bye to R2 this season.