Cotter shettleston

Js1982

We played Glenafton during the season, We both had a squad of around 20. I used the exercise to give everyone a game as did Southy. The players on the park at any given time would have been players that play regularly and some who haven't. 

It was a very competitive game both sides played some great football. We competed through the whole game.

Now I'm not for one minute saying would would win the junior Scottish or the top league in junior football. But it was an excellent game with a very high standard of football played. 

When we play junior teams I don't approach as if I play my strongest team or it's a must win. I use to give everyone an opportunity to get some game time as we have a large squad. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Onceaplayer said:

Out of curiosity? Asked him in as what?The way I'm reading it is that you and Keith were co manager was he asked as a no 2 ?

To come in as part of managment team

It's not whatever it's the truth, you think me beating a junior teams makes my season. 
Every friendly we play no matter the opposition is aimed at giving the squad a game 

Yawn . Your team are a good amateur team end of . GIVE us peace. How much are your players on ?

37 minutes ago, supersub11 said:

Must surely be favourites to get relegated this season now?

There is no automatic relegation this season. The worst they can have is a play-off v the 4th placed team in one of the District Leagues.

14 hours ago, fan of the juniors said:

Shettleston cancelling pre season games left right & centre . Shambles of a club

I take it you know the reason as to why the pre season friendlies were cancelled that makes them a "shambles of a club"?

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:18, Hillonearth said:

That's the plus point of playing them, you know you'll definitely get a game out of it.

The issue I think folk were talking about is when the odd ammy team subsequently treat it as some kind of evidence that they're on a par with a side they've beaten, when in reality what they've beaten is a patchwork side that would never be starting a competitive game made up of a few first-teamers, youth/fringe players and trialists, more than likely playing in an experimental formation.

It's not confined to the amateurs either - some junior sides will get a result against an SPFL team in a bounce game and think they're SPFL standard.

They're not.

All about opinions but I believe there are a lot of amateur teams if they stepped up could compete with no problem at all. I saw Ek Thistle last night pump St Ants and the team they had playing was the exact same team who competed in the Central Scottish Amateur league as Ek Amateurs last year and finished some way behind Colville for instance. It will be interesting to see how they get on this year and will show if an amateur team could compete in the junior ranks.

Looking at the situation at Shettleston it just goes to show why so many coaches probably like Michael Kennedy refuse to go junior because there are too many clubs run like pub teams. They're are plenty amateur clubs that are run to a much higher standard than the majority of junior clubs.

All about opinions but I believe there are a lot of amateur teams if they stepped up could compete with no problem at all. I saw Ek Thistle last night pump St Ants and the team they had playing was the exact same team who competed in the Central Scottish Amateur league as Ek Amateurs last year and finished some way behind Colville for instance. It will be interesting to see how they get on this year and will show if an amateur team could compete in the junior ranks. Looking at the situation at Shettleston it just goes to show why so many coaches probably like Michael Kennedy refuse to go junior because there are too many clubs run like pub teams. They're are plenty amateur clubs that are run to a much higher standard than the majority of junior clubs. 

You do realise ants finished second bottom of the bottom league last year and a rebuilding still.  

Also how can you use a club like shettleston as an example ffs as a reason why amateur managers don't try junior. The reality is the vast majority of junior clubs give managers a good fair crack at it, the main difference being if you ain't doing it on the park or any sign of improvement in the juniors you will probably get the boot whereas the majority of amateur teams you can just carry on without the pressure of the sack.

Absolute lot of rubbish the last part really is. Plenty of amateur teams run better than majority of junior team, aye right you are ffs amateur leagues and clubs are folding ceasing to exist on a massive massive scale, the juniors aren't! So can't be that poorly run and certainly don't struggle to find players unlike many amateur sides some of the most famous from yesteryear are no longer about .

3 minutes ago, rednblack said:

You do realise ants finished second bottom of the bottom league last year and a rebuilding still.

Also how can you use a club like shettleston as an example ffs as a reason why amateur managers don't try junior. The reality is the vast majority of junior clubs give managers a good fair crack at it, the main difference being if you ain't doing it on the park or any sign of improvement in the juniors you will probably get the boot whereas the majority of amateur teams you can just carry on without the pressure of the sack.

You do realise I'm not saying I'd expect amateur teams to compete with the super premier division but there is definitely amateur teams who if put in the junior ranks who would compete up the divisions. Some of the signings I see junior clubs make are laughable and guys who can't even get a game with average amateur sides.

Archived