Cotter shettleston

Js1982

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more with you mate. I am note belittling the amateurs in anyway either just like the juniors some a considerably better than others but like you say some take it as if there's something to win out the game when in fact it is merely a training exercise for most.

Totally agree , before our first ever game in the clubs history in the senior Scottish cup v Linlithgow we played up at glasgow green midweek against drumchapel United / ams ( unsure which one but the best one ) .

They turned up like it was their cup final and beat us soundly by 3 or 4 goals I think it was , we had a shadow team out and used loads of Subs and to be honest all our guys had one eye on the huge game on the Saturday ; drumchapel were excellent that night though without a doubt , however you couldn't help but wonder if it was a competitive game in the senior cup then it would have been so much different , what was a kick about ahead of a huge game for the junior side was viewed the exact opposite by the amateur team who were hell bent in winning that night , granted - nobody plays to lose In a friendly but conversely winning isn't the be all and end all .

Totally agree , before our first ever game in the clubs history in the senior Scottish cup v Linlithgow we played up at glasgow green midweek against drumchapel United / ams ( unsure which one but the best one ) .

They turned up like it was their cup final and beat us soundly by 3 or 4 goals I think it was , we had a shadow team out and used loads of Subs and to be honest all our guys had one eye on the huge game on the Saturday ; drumchapel were excellent that night though without a doubt , however you couldn't help but wonder if it was a competitive game in the senior cup then it would have been so much different , what was a kick about ahead of a huge game for the junior side was viewed the exact opposite by the amateur team who were hell bent in winning that night , granted - nobody plays to lose In a friendly but conversely winning isn't the be all and end all .

Again could agree more mate. We've had it a few times over the past few years with amateur teams turning up like it's a cup final. Sometimes that then leads to over zealous tackles that can lead to injury and in reality no team wants to lose players to injury in a friendly, juniors or amateurs. What I will say having played against Colville Park and also seen on a few occasions they are an excellent outfit with some excellent players. I would say they are a cut above the rest for the most part within this particular debate.

Again could agree more mate. We've had it a few times over the past few years with amateur teams turning up like it's a cup final. Sometimes that then leads to over zealous tackles that can lead to injury and in reality no team wants to lose players to injury in a friendly, juniors or amateurs. What I will say having played against Colville Park and also seen on a few occasions they are an excellent outfit with some excellent players. I would say they are a cut above the rest for the most part within this particular debate.

Have never saw colville park but I can imagine that they're pretty much comparable to the drumchapel team I was talking about ; that drumchapel team had players who were ex Rangers /celtic youth players but I got the impression they played more with their pals rather than pushing themselves to go further up in terms of level of football , for every colville and drumchapel though who do things correct there are dozens of amateur teams players who will go out and get wrecked on Friday nights and miss training regularly etc etc ; two things that are very rare in junior football regardless of the level of junior .

We played Wellhouse in a friendly a few seasons back and they came treating it like the world cup final , some of the tackles were outrageous on the night , and one guy challenged our winger to a fight , finally after the umpteenth leg breaking challenge our manager had enough and told the ref to bring the game to an end with bout 20 mins to go , never again !
Some of these guys have bigger chips on there shoulders than harry ramsdens !

Have never saw colville park but I can imagine that they're pretty much comparable to the drumchapel team I was talking about ; that drumchapel team had players who were ex Rangers /celtic youth players but I got the impression they played more with their pals rather than pushing themselves to go further up in terms of level of football , for every colville and drumchapel though who do things correct there are dozens of amateur teams players who will go out and get wrecked on Friday nights and miss training regularly etc etc ; two things that are very rare in junior football regardless of the level of junior .

Yeah that's the impression most people get about guys going out and it probably does happen at both levels but maybe tolerated by more teams in the amateur level than the juniors. I think the biggest factor at both levels is money. Most players will always follow the coin at every level.

34 minutes ago, Michael Kennedy said:

Cheers mate.

I suppose it's all about opinions, we will never know. 

All the best to Cotter and Keith, I'm sure they will both find a route back in to football.

Crazy decision, Shettleston FC will suffer more then anyone.

Cheers michael....the thing is the juniors have always signed amatuer players every year.so that tells u there is plenty talent out there n yes junior football is that bit more quicker n frantic.n have stronger refs.but most of colville could play top level junior..

We played Wellhouse in a friendly a few seasons back and they came treating it like the world cup final , some of the tackles were outrageous on the night , and one guy challenged our winger to a fight , finally after the umpteenth leg breaking challenge our manager had enough and told the ref to bring the game to an end with bout 20 mins to go , never again !
Some of these guys have bigger chips on there shoulders than harry ramsdens !

Last paragraph made me laugh there .

Colville Park got beat 1-0 by Girvan last season in the Scottish Cup, from digging about this is a selection of who was in their squad over the course of the year:
A bit of guessing with who the players are in terms of previous clubs in my own records but hopefully fairly accurate..
Bradley, Jamie (35) ex Greenock Juniors
Bradshaw, Kieran (29) ex Thorniewood
Burden, Stephen (29) ex Dumbarton*, just signed for Largs
Clearie, Alex (33) ex Lok, Maryhill, Albion Rovers
Craig, Chris (28) ex Rangers*, Dumbarton, Alloa, Airdrie, Kilbirnie, Peasy, Blantyre
Fotheringham, Kevin (28) ex Stirling Albion*, Oakley, Queen's Park
Greenlees, Steven (27) ex Stenny*, Albion Rovers*, Glenafton, Hurlford
McCallum, Owen (21) Not aware of any Junipr.Senior past - was with Campsie Minerva last season
McDevitt, Steven (32) ex Cumbernauld U and Vale of Clyde
McKay, Dave (32) ex Clyde
McLean, Darren (26) ex Morton*, Meadow, Kilbirnie, Peasy, Blantyre, Pollok (plus played a competitive trial for Ayr vs East Fife in 2010-11)
Marshall, Kenny (26) ex Shettleston & Yoker
Miller, Darren (20) ex Albion Rovers, Meadow, Queens Park, Dumbarton*, Kilbirnie, Clyde
Miller, James (26) ex Stenhousemuir*, Carluke, Blantyre
Mulvay, James (33) don't think he's been Junior / senior
Pearce, Lance (25) ex Partick* and Dalry
Thompson, Lee (30) ex Albion Rovers, Troon, Bellshill and Larkhall -with Kilbirnie last season too?
Tierney, Garry (31) ex Hearts, Airdrie, Forfar
Ward, Ryan (32) ex Kilbirnie, Dalry and Pollok
* = never played 1st team at Senior level

Definitely don't remember Lee Thompson playing any games for us last season . Saying that we had a few trislists after Swift left & Bradley came in so I'm ready to be proved wrong

13 hours ago, fan of the juniors said:

Definitely don't remember Lee Thompson playing any games for us last season . Saying that we had a few trislists after Swift left & Bradley came in so I'm ready to be proved wrong

On the bench vs Lok in Jan:

33bfyfp.png

15 hours ago, theshed said:

This is a false argument. I watched that Drumchapel team you are talking about and they competed against Super Premier Teams all the time, multiple times during a season and they more than competed. In a one off game, you would maybe have a point but if you continually beat/compete with a certain level over a high amount of games it's not a fluke or simply down to a certain group of players not trying as hard as the other. The juniors will know within 10 mins of playing an amateur team whether they are in a game or not and after that it comes down to professional pride, if they aren't able to raise their game by wanting to ensure they don't lose to a team from a level below them then I would say they don't have the right attitude for your club. They should be embarrassed to lose to a so called inferior team from an inferior level.

The notion that bad tackles are exclusive to amateur football is a nonsense as well. Some of the tackles you see in junior football at times are a disgrace and I remember playing 21s years ago and being threatened with my leg being broken because were were horsing them at the time and they couldn't take it.

Ashfield lost 4-0 to a Sunday amateur team from Drumchapel just last week as well. What an embarrassment that is, guys there likely being paid 40/50 quid a week being destroyed by a Sunday Amateur Team that has just started up this season.

This is a false argument. I watched that Drumchapel team you are talking about and they competed against Super Premier Teams all the time, multiple times during a season and they more than competed. In a one off game, you would maybe have a point but if you continually beat/compete with a certain level over a high amount of games it's not a fluke or simply down to a certain group of players not trying as hard as the other. The juniors will know within 10 mins of playing an amateur team whether they are in a game or not and after that it comes down to professional pride, if they aren't able to raise their game by wanting to ensure they don't lose to a team from a level below them then I would say they don't have the right attitude for your club. They should be embarrassed to lose to a so called inferior team from an inferior level.
The notion that bad tackles are exclusive to amateur football is a nonsense as well. Some of the tackles you see in junior football at times are a disgrace and I remember playing 21s years ago and being threatened with my leg being broken because were were horsing them at the time and they couldn't take it.
Ashfield lost 4-0 to a Sunday amateur team from Drumchapel just last week as well. What an embarrassment that is, guys there likely being paid 40/50 quid a week being destroyed by a Sunday Amateur Team that has just started up this season.

I remember playing against Drumchapel United numerous times and at that point they provided quite a few players for the Scottish Amateur team. They had a good team, Michael Kennedy being one if them. They would've played quite a few junior teams, and beat them, in fact some Junior teams organised friendlies against them as they knew it would be a pretty even contest.

Pollok certainly played and lost to Drumchapel Utd in friendlies. The match linked below from 2011 was a 4-2 win for them.

Davie Brown filmed 4 of the games and unfortunately I couldn't say for sure these are all against DUAFC as he has labelled one or two 'Drumchapel AFC' - I don't think these as labelled were against Drumchapel Amateurs but not sure 100% either way.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pollok+drumchapel

6 hours ago, auldgeezer said:

I remember playing against Drumchapel United numerous times and at that point they provided quite a few players for the Scottish Amateur team. They had a good team, Michael Kennedy being one if them. They would've played quite a few junior teams, and beat them, in fact some Junior teams organised friendlies against them as they knew it would be a pretty even contest.

Cheers mate, that seems like a very long time ago now lol 

People complaining about ammy teams treating friendlies against junior teams as world cup finals is that not what they would want or am i missing something?
Surely the fringe players getting a run out against players giving everything is better than playing against other junior players who are treating it as a friendly

It was me that asked shug in..its not about controling shug i dont need to do that .me n shug have had loads of battles with each other over years.n everyone that knows me knows i am not a yes man so there was always gonny be battles.but .unfortunatly we never got the chance to battle cos shug pulled out after 1 week.n after thst.the writing was on the wall.but everyday a school day

13 hours ago, cotter said:

It was me that asked shug in..its not about controling shug i dont need to do that .me n shug have had loads of battles with each other over years.n everyone that knows me knows i am not a yes man so there was always gonny be battles.but .unfortunatly we never got the chance to battle cos shug pulled out after 1 week.n after thst.the writing was on the wall.but everyday a school day

Out of curiosity? Asked him in as what?The way I'm reading it is that you and Keith were co manager was he asked as a no 2 ?

23 hours ago, Colin6 said:

People complaining about ammy teams treating friendlies against junior teams as world cup finals is that not what they would want or am i missing something?
Surely the fringe players getting a run out against players giving everything is better than playing against other junior players who are treating it as a friendly

That's the plus point of playing them, you know you'll definitely get a game out of it.

The issue I think folk were talking about is when the odd ammy team subsequently treat it as some kind of evidence that they're on a par with a side they've beaten, when in reality what they've beaten is a patchwork side that would never be starting a competitive game made up of a few first-teamers, youth/fringe players and trialists, more than likely playing in an experimental formation.

It's not confined to the amateurs either - some junior sides will get a result against an SPFL team in a bounce game and think they're SPFL standard.

They're not.

Archived