Can anyone recommend a nice pair of steel toed boots that don't make your feet smell like baked shite mixed with macaroni and cheese? I've had a pair of boots for a few years, they are still in great nick and they are comfortable. I only ever had to wear them for an hour or two at a time though and now I'm required to wear them for upwards of 12hrs a day. I don't have smelly feet generally but I have to admit when I take these bad boys off it makes your eyes water. When I come home from work I am being treated like an ebola victim. I have been reduced to taking them off at the door and attacking my feet with some wet wipes before immediately jumping in the shower. Can anyone recommend a pair of breathable and comfy boots that will perhaps not make my feet stink to high heaven? If they look smart it's a bonus.

You'd be better buying a pair of insoles that will absorb the sweat from your feet and reduce friction. I doubt there's a pair of steel toe caps that will prevent that on it's own.

I just stopped wearing them full-stop but maybe you don't have that option. The insoles have helped me no end. Lambswool ones I bought.

Used to wear Doc Marten ones that were ok and looked smart. But you can get ones more like trainers now that probably breathe better that you might get away with, if they're black say.

1 hour ago, The Equalizer said:

Can anyone recommend a nice pair of steel toed boots that don't make your feet smell like baked shite mixed with macaroni and cheese? I've had a pair of boots for a few years, they are still in great nick and they are comfortable. I only ever had to wear them for an hour or two at a time though and now I'm required to wear them for upwards of 12hrs a day. I don't have smelly feet generally but I have to admit when I take these bad boys off it makes your eyes water. When I come home from work I am being treated like an ebola victim. I have been reduced to taking them off at the door and attacking my feet with some wet wipes before immediately jumping in the shower. Can anyone recommend a pair of breathable and comfy boots that will perhaps not make my feet stink to high heaven? If they look smart it's a bonus.

Do you think you could send me the old boots when you get new ones? I would love to give them a sniff.

I never thought of the insole solution. Think I'll give that a go before I shell out money on another pair. Cheers P&B.

Throbber you could get some used Japanese knickers much cheaper than paying the postage on my smelly boots.

I never thought of the insole solution. Think I'll give that a go before I shell out money on another pair. Cheers P&B.

Throbber you could get some used Japanese knickers much cheaper than paying the postage on my smelly boots.

The insoles I bought were in a blue packaging and lambswool. Can't mind the brand name but I'd look out for them. You can cut them to fit your shoe size too. If you're a 13 shoe size then you've hit the jackpot as that's the default size of them.

Forgot to add that I chucked my steel toe caps out the other week. Gave them a sniff beforehand and they genuinely stank of fish [emoji23] How bad is that?

1 hour ago, Johnny Däpp said:

Would you consider a trainer style boot? I have had Uvex and Caterpillar boots before and they're decent, but the Timberlands I have just now are great. Comfortable and breathable. I use arco for mines, worth a look on their website or their shops in Glasgow or Linlithgow 

I'm in Canada right now so I would have to order from their website. I will look at the more popular brands so I don't have to pay exorbitant shipping charges.

50 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

The insoles I bought were in a blue packaging and lambswool. Can't mind the brand name but I'd look out for them. You can cut them to fit your shoe size too. If you're a 13 shoe size then you've hit the jackpot as that's the default size of them.

Forgot to add that I chucked my steel toe caps out the other week. Gave them a sniff beforehand and they genuinely stank of fish emoji23.png How bad is that?

Nice to know it's not just me!

Goliath boots are quite good. I get them at work and they are comfortable. I'm on my feet for most of my 12 hour shift as well. They tried fobbing us off with cheap Cofra boots but they are horrendous.

Forgot to add that I chucked my steel toe caps out the other week. Gave them a sniff beforehand and they genuinely stank of fish [emoji23] How bad is that?

A number of insoles only have size 11(had to order online to get a size 13)now as the largest size I'm shops. An other way to help is a foot deodorant.

11 hours ago, The Equalizer said:

Dickies do decent steel toe cap boots both in leather and a breathable textile. 

My advice would be to wear cotton socks as this soaks up the sweat from your feet and keeps them dry. 

I used to wear woolen socks with mine and ended up with trench foot!

ETA - Wear different shoes/trainers as well as socks to and from work. Leave the boots in the drying room to dry and air.

Have worn steel toecap boots all my working life and that's 35 years or about, all different makes, designs and quality and I cannot remember any of them smelling awful at any stage and I have worked in agriculture for many of these years

Timberlands. Last for ages, breathable they have light versions which have a couple breathable bits on them and they're comfy. Well worth the money if your in them 12 hours a day and you'll get them in Canada no probs my last couple pairs have been brought back from trips to the US.
If they stink wrap a bar of soap in tissue and leave it in over the weekend and regularly change insoles

Archived