Best Boozer

1 hour ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I would have thought it was the Guildford Arms, which is a better one imho.

I like the Guildford too, but I did have a bad experience with an utter c**t of a barman who refused to serve me a pint right on the stroke of 11pm. That's about 20 years ago now, but it's funny how you never forget these things.

I would say that they serve better food in the Cafe Royal.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to be the planet bar but sadly a pub no more. It's a recording studio now. Had many a good day/ night in there. If I'm in city centre it's the usual shouts of trades bar or Phoenix. Invergowrie inn is a decent boozer as well and dece meals. My locals now that I like are Charlie bar just a basic pub but good pint of tennents. Birkie inn. Good meals and the bar is good with pool table and jukebox. Locals are all sound as well.

I like the Guildford too, but I did have a bad experience with an utter c**t of a barman who refused to serve me a pint right on the stroke of 11pm. That's about 20 years ago now, but it's funny how you never forget these things.
I would say that they serve better food in the Cafe Royal.

It is funny how you never forget bad service, I didn't get served once at the pub closest to me on grounds that I had had enough, the bar maid actually spoke and looked at me like I was a piece of shit and I made a scene and said I would never go back and that was about 3 years ago now.

Quite like the Blue Blazer in Edinburgh. Decent rotation of draft ales. Quite small, but seems to avoid the worst of the people in Edinburgh, despite its location.

In Glasgow I drink in the Sparkle Horse, which is good in its own way, a West End style with no frills.

3 minutes ago, gc_smfc said:

Quite like the Blue Blazer in Edinburgh. Decent rotation of draft ales. Quite small, but seems to avoid the worst of the people in Edinburgh, despite its location.

In Glasgow I drink in the Sparkle Horse, which is good in its own way, a West End style with no frills.

I've never been in it since it changed its name (mostly because of its awful name) but I once saw a man pish himself in the Dowanhill and carry on drinking like nothing had happened. 

I've never been in it since it changed its name (mostly because of its awful name) but I once saw a man pish himself in the Dowanhill and carry on drinking like nothing had happened. 

Were you looking at a mirror at the time?

For some reason in Edinburgh if I'm up town I'll always make a dash to Teuchters and I'm not really sure why as it's pretty dark and small, I just like it. Plus above the urinals is a map of all the best pubs in Edinburgh so I'm trying to work my way around them, think I'm on 30/120 or something like that. Half of them I've never even heard of.

For some reason in Edinburgh if I'm up town I'll always make a dash to Teuchters and I'm not really sure why as it's pretty dark and small, I just like it. Plus above the urinals is a map of all the best pubs in Edinburgh so I'm trying to work my way around them, think I'm on 30/120 or something like that. Half of them I've never even heard of.

Are you talking about the Teuchters on William street near the west end? I used to meet my gf there after work when she was about there, the one in Leith is better though.

Have you not embarrassed yourself by suggesting some jake magnet Wetherspoons yet? 

I honestly don't like Spoons that much, sometimes it's just convenient though.

Doesn't really surprise me. I'd imagine it would have been similar to the pubs along Dumbarton Road towards the Clyde Tunnel.

The name is a strange one, must be down to their collection of horse tat.

The food is decent enough as well.

Bottle of Budvar is £3.50 and I think a pint of St. Mungos is around £4. Which is pretty much average of Glasgow now.

Any favourite pubs in Aberdeen? Will be going there for a weekend at the end of March.

Not drank in Aberdeen for years, aside from a quick pint or two on the way to Pittodrie, but I always liked The Moorings when I was younger. That may have as much to do with their lax ID policy as anything else though.

11 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Ship Inn in Elie today. Not the worst view in the world.

fe784fde9099cb8760581eacbf6957bd.jpg

I can remember that before it was posh. Still had the view though. I like how you had to cross a road and still be in part of the pub. Can't be many others like it.

22 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

That's a Sainsbury's.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's Jenner's.

My mistake, its further along. The pub is called Tiles.

4 hours ago, throbber said:

It is funny how you never forget bad service,

I boycotted Uisge Beatha on Woodlands Road for about 5 years because of total c*nt staff. It's now called Dram! (dear oh dear), and I maintain my boycott.

It was a shame, as although Uisge's was always a bit full of tossers, Dr Paul's pub quizzes were decent those days. I remember fondly the outrage shown by some Americans who stormed from the pub as they found the joke round to be in poor taste. If memory serves someone had this protracted joke that involved a swastika-shaped crucifix being needed to crucify some deformed person, and with that they had had enough. The woman told everyone that they should be ashamed of themselves.

Archived