Sign in to follow this  
theGOAT

Should we get rid of diddy teams like St Johnstone and Hamilton to improve the Scottish game?

20 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Glad to see no mention of the number of teams Glesga or Embra are allowed under your system?

I bet in your head they can have what they like and the rest of Scottish Football should just roll over and play oldco, sorry (dead).

Ps... you forgot the highlands & borders or are they not allowed to play football in your mind, perhaps shinty or rugby?

f**k right off ya tit......

I didn't forget Glasgow, Edinburgh or the Highlands and Borders.  I simply quoted some examples of where mergers might be practical.  It was not meant to be exclusive hence the etc etc.

I deduce you are in favour of the status quo.

This. The chances of a Scottish team making the Europa League groups from the Qualifiers are virtually nil once the new changes come in next season. I've ko idea why people get so hung up on it.

What changes?

What changes?

Its not been made completely clear, I don't think. Last I looked I thought that only 13 qualifying spots will be available from the Qualifiers, down from 22. Three of the teams from the Qualifiers will be from the Champions League Qualifiers (most likely the champions from Austria/Greece/Denmark). The "big guns" will come in from the second qualifying round instead of later on (sixth placed team from the top four nations), meaning a tie against Manchester United could be Aberdeens first tie in Europe next season...

The seedings been weighted towards former champions too, so teams like us, Hibs and Hearts will have a disadvantage of seeding against the likes of Red Star Belgrade

So in summary, 13 qualifying spaces, and we're competing against four top six sides from the big four leagues, and three champions of their respective leagues, along with the current batch of teams we struggle to qualify past. We'll be lucky to make it past the second round.

It's amazing: almost like UEFA are trying to completely remove the possibility of teams from wee countries qualifying at all.
I don't know why any of you entertain an interest in European football at all; it's utterly bent.

It's amazing: almost like UEFA are trying to completely remove the possibility of teams from wee countries qualifying at all.
I don't know why any of you entertain an interest in European football at all; it's utterly bent.

This is exactly right. EUFA want the EL like the CL. Same big teams year after year, same big name players, same marketing, big sponsors. They killed the European Cup in pursuit of money. The CL is now utterly boring. Last 4 Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus - yawn.

This is exactly right. EUFA want the EL like the CL. Same big teams year after year, same big name players, same marketing, big sponsors. They killed the European Cup in pursuit of money. The CL is now utterly boring. Last 4 Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus - yawn.

Given that we follow a league where two clubs have won all the titles since the '80s I don't think we're in the best position to cast the first stone on this.

NB
I'm not trying to say that I'm like Jesus Christ here, that's for others to say

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Given that we follow a league where two clubs have won all the titles since the '80s I don't think we're in the best position to cast the first stone on this.

NB
I'm not trying to say that I'm like Jesus Christ here, that's for others to say

Often when I read your posts I think 'Jesus Christ'.*

*Not really, I think you're an excellent poster and you'd be welcome to marry my sister any day

Often when I read your posts I think 'Jesus Christ'.*

*Not really, I think you're an excellent poster and you'd be welcome to marry my sister any day

That's surely up to your sister

And my wife

They're stuck between having a competition for the best teams in Europe or having a competition for teams from all over Europe.

Given that the talent has been further concentrated in the biggest financial markets it's impossible to achieve both without compromising either

We have multiple examples every season on here from people who would love nothing more than making the Scottish Premiership a closed shop with only the 12 best supported teams in the country allowed to compete.

What a time to be alive etc

58 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They're stuck between having a competition for the best teams in Europe or having a competition for teams from all over Europe.

Given that the talent has been further concentrated in the biggest financial markets it's impossible to achieve both without compromising either

Guess what? They have two competitions! They can do both!

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We have multiple examples every season on here from people who would love nothing more than making the Scottish Premiership a closed shop with only the 12 best supported teams in the country allowed to compete.

What a time to be alive etc

So what - they're wrong too.

So what - they're wrong too.

Simply pointing out that some fans are just as guilty of what you are criticising UEFA for.

Closed shops are what some people want unfortunately.

'Give people what they need. Not what they want'.

they have two competitions they could do both

I can see your point

Dropping champions league failures into the Europa league is like putting the teams that don't quite make the top 6 into the semifinals of the challenge cup

But more pertinently

As a Falkirk fan do you feel that the existence of Stenhousemuir and the shire is really holding your club back?

Or do you, like me, think that the "too many clubs" argument is utter codswallup

I've been saying for years that European football is a closed shop, especially the "champions" league. "champions" my arse! Mind you there are plenty fans of the bigot brothers that would be happy with a 2 team "Premiership" (I fucking HATE that name) cup and league cup TBF.

I agree that there are some clubs that seem to stagnate or lack ambition in Scotland in the SPFL, but that's true of probably every country's leagues. Pretty sure there are teams in the PL in England that just exist to stay in that division and have no real ambition beyond that, no doubt in Spain, France, Germany etc.

I think there is room for a serious discussion here (there might already have been, I'm not trawling through all 5 pages to find out) about the raison d'etre for many clubs worldwide, are they there for the supporters, for the owners, for the "jollies" or to compete, win improve, rinse and repeat?

Onyway it's time for ma dinner loonies and quinies, be intrigued to see if this has all been a big fishing exercise that's got me biting or if there's any quality discourse to be had.

I can see your point

Dropping champions league failures into the Europa league is like putting the teams that don't quite make the top 6 into the semifinals of the challenge cup

But more pertinently

As a Falkirk fan do you feel that the existence of Stenhousemuir and the shire is really holding your club back?

Or do you, like me, think that the "too many clubs" argument is utter codswallup

I'm with you on that one.
I hope you guys get La Budge telt on that matter.

I'm with you on that one.
I hope you guys get La Budge telt on that matter.

In fairness she wasn't talking about the existence of the straw weight clubs just their involvement in the administration of the top league

Which given that the SPL and SFL were separate entities for years is hardly the most radical or controversial stance.

10 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I can see your point

But more pertinently

What exactly is the argument for there being too many clubs anyway? I've never quite got this one.

10 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

What exactly is the argument for there being too many clubs anyway? I've never quite got this one.

Its something about East Stirlingshire/Stenhousemuir steal fans from Falkirk and with these extra fans they'd be a bigger club and therefore better (because bigger clubs are always better than smaller ones, everyone knows that) so by having less clubs we'd have more big clubs, which would be better.  It's not a very good argument. 

Oh, and England has 92 league clubs to our 42, which is of course relevant because reasons. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow