Help Required - Project Scottish Footballs Tragic Tales

Think Bobby McKean of Rangers had a tragic death. Some cracking stories of old St Johnstone players – the goalie who died days before the start of the season etc. 

What are you collecting these stories for though?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/07/2017 at 11:44, AWG86 said:

Hello Folks,

I am looking into some of Scottish footballs more tragic cases of our games fallen heroes.

Did your club have a hero that didn't hit the heights of their potential due to personal battles off the field.  Willie Hamilton springs to mind here described by the late, great Jock Stein as one of the best players he had ever seen.  "People such as wee Jimmy and Baxter each had that special thing they did brilliantly but Willie could do it all. He could match anyone in the game with his speed, stamina and shooting".

Or did your club have a hero with a more tragic tale such as Ian Redford who enjoyed success and then passed with no rhyme nor reason leaving behind more questions than answers?

I apologise if this seems a bit morbid but by looking into these forgotten stories I want to highlight firstly how great these men where,  how the fans looked up to them and what really went wrong?  Why is the changing room mentality still not that much different now to back then.  Why didnt these guys get the support they needed? Just some of the questions that have popped up since looking into some of the cases mentioned. 

Thank you in advance for any comments, 

Willo

Willo.....??

Reminds me of this guy we signed from Dundee Utd, looked like an orphan with rickets and asthma.

Played like one too.

Is that tragic enough?

3 Ex Aberdeen players spring to mind all for different reasons;

Rachid Belabed, punched an Anti terrorism journalist for not being a friend of Islam.

Hicham Zerouali, Died in crash.

David Goodwillie, we know she said no!

On 7/7/2017 at 19:37, LiamDFC said:

Today's greatest living tragedy in Scottish football is that Marcus Haber is allowed to wear gloves in the middle of fucking summer.

Thank you.

Really? That's very Un-Canadian of him.  A proper Canadian would play in shorts and short sleeves in a snowstorm lol

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 15:19, Tartantony said:

2 spring to mind for me and both are Hibees. Riordan and O'Connor. For me, both had the potential to be internationalists for us

Both were internationalists

In one of Thistle's early matches at Firhill in December of 1909, James Main of Hibs accidentally collided with a Thistle player and died of internal injuries aged 23.

Picture of him on the previous page, but Adam Strachan who was at Partick. Terrific little player, but an absolute ned of the highest order. My boy went to school with him for a time, said he was a very good player, but let himself down massively by being a complete and utter ned. 

I think he was in Prison for a time on drug charges? 

Archived