Work colleagues

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

On Milton's second part and the above, it will depend on the industry, but I disagree. There's plenty of reasons for having to skip an email that might not be read for days and going straight to phoning. This afternoon I got told to create something in two hours and needed a hand with a bit of it, if I'd sent an email and respected the person's current workload I just couldn't have got it done. Whilst that's not their problem, if they took the attitude of 'send me an email and I'll reply when I fancy it' like the above, it would be a disaster, and if everyone took that view, the industry would collapse.

Fair enough and I probably should've specified that I really don't have a problem with people using the phone or IM for things that are time sensitive and/or urgent. It's when people IM me to ask if I'm busy, then they ask if they can call me and then they ask for my number. Just call and tell me what you need.

10 hours ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Does anyone have someone in their office that tells everyone the same story and makes the exact same jokes each time someone comes in and expects you (the person on the next desk) to laugh every time you hear it?

Does anyone have someone in their office that tells everyone the same story and makes the exact same jokes each time someone comes in and expects you (the person on the next desk) to laugh every time you hear it?

So my work has sent out the Christmas lunch rota of when each department is allowed to go into the canteen for Christmas lunch. The fine print at the bottom specifies that contractors like myself can come in at 1pm and lick the serving dishes clean of whatever the permanent staff have left behind. Sod that. I have a meeting at 1 so I think I'll be sauntering in at 12 and pretending I'm a permie. Bit difficult to explain why I'm wearing scruffy jeans instead of company uniform but I must have got away with it last year.

Anyway my contract ends next week so I literally couldn't care less.

So my work has sent out the Christmas lunch rota of when each department is allowed to go into the canteen for Christmas lunch. The fine print at the bottom specifies that contractors like myself can come in at 1pm and lick the serving dishes clean of whatever the permanent staff have left behind. Sod that. I have a meeting at 1 so I think I'll be sauntering in at 12 and pretending I'm a permie. Bit difficult to explain why I'm wearing scruffy jeans instead of company uniform but I must have got away with it last year.
Anyway my contract ends next week so I literally couldn't care less.

"So", "permie" and "literally" all in one post. I hope the food is infected with salmonella.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

"So", "permie" and "literally" all in one post. I hope the food is infected with salmonella.

So in other words, you literally hope I die a permie-nant death from food poisoning?

If so, you will be disappointed. Literally all I had was a sandwich.

"Hello  Everyone

Since there are no response from anyone that would like to collect the Money for a Gift for  ******.   ******* will do the collecting. Please come to my Desk and sign Card.

I am not in on THURSDAY 14th so please give money to ******** ******.

A Minimum of $4.00 (dollars) is accepted. The last Collection Date/Time is  Tuesday Dec 19 @NOON.The Gift will be given on Wed. Dec 20 @1:30PM.   Hopefully all goes well."

So not only are you looking for donations for the boss who isn’t mine and who I’m pretty sure earns a lot more than anyone included in the email. But there is a minimum donation of $4 required?? Beat it

11 minutes ago, Torpar said:

"Hello  Everyone

Since there are no response from anyone that would like to collect the Money for a Gift for  ******.   ******* will do the collecting. Please come to my Desk and sign Card.

A Minimum of $4.00 (dollars) is accepted. The last Collection Date/Time is  Tuesday Dec 19 @NOON.The Gift will be given on Wed. Dec 20 @1:30PM.   Hopefully all goes well."

So not only are you looking for donations for the boss who isn’t mine and who I’m pretty sure earns a lot more than anyone included in the email. But there is a minimum donation of $4 required?? Beat it

There is about 30 people work in my department and one of these goes round almost every week for a wedding, engagement, landmark birthday, retirement, family death, new baby etc. I've never seen a minimum amount specified though that is a new low. I refuse to contribute now unless I actually like the person and only for wedding or engagement (not both), new babies (max of 3 per person) or retirements.

When you're just sitting working at your desk and someone walks past and asks "Are you winning?" it always makes me irrationally angry.

No, I'm not winning, I'm doing one bit of work before I move onto the next. If you have nothing of interest to say then just don't bother.

26 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

When you're just sitting working at your desk and someone walks past and asks "Are you winning?" it always makes me irrationally angry.

No, I'm not winning, I'm doing one bit of work before I move onto the next. If you have nothing of interest to say then just don't bother.

"Aye, just sank 3 battleships!"

1 hour ago, Jaggy Snake said:

This a fucking thousand times. Usually the same people who say "cheer up, it might not happen" when you're sat staring at your computer screen first thing in the morning, questioning your very existence.  No, I fucking won't cheer up, I'm not fucking paid to be cheery, f**k off.

2 hours ago, Torpar said:

"Hello  Everyone

Lassie in my work has just spent the last fortnight coming round asking for donations for another lassie that's leaving today.  Minimum 2 circuits per day, has increased more in the last few days.  Much more effort that anyone normally puts in, however the fact that the leaver is her daughter-in-law no doubt has increased her passion for getting a decent collection.

She's actually been really aggressive with it, getting to the point of standing right over folk saying "You got any money yet?".  Mrs Ranter and I both work in this building, but in different parts, and have been working on a plan to drive this lassie daft - any time she arrives at one of our desks demanding money, we send her to the other one of us, saying "Mr/Mrs Ranter will give you it".

In my last job in Scotland, there was one guy, slightly odd but harmless, chubby lad who smoked a lot. He was collecting money to walk the West Highland Way, as usual I donated nothing. He went off on the Friday with everyone's best wishes, see you in a week. I felt quite bad for thinking 'there is no way he's going to manage this' He came back the next week looking rather sheepish and wasn't too keen on making conversation with anyone. Turns he quit after less than a day because he was tired. As far as I know, no one asked for their money back 

Edited by Torpar