A-League 2017/18

Eednud

Although the new A-League season doesn't start until the first week of October the fixtures were released yesterday. The opening weekend sees a repeat of last season's Grand Final but Sydney have to travel to Victory. Other 1st round games are MelC v Brisbane Roar, Mariners v Jets, Phoenix v Adelaide Utd and WSW v Glory. Victory has possibly the toughest opening as Round 2 they have the derby game against MelC then the week after travel to Adelaide. Adelaide United didn't end up getting Battigol as coach but have hired Marco Kurz who was a non-playing sub in the 96/97 UEFA Cup Final when Schalke beat Inter Milan and was also in the Borussia Dortmund squad that won the Bundesliga in 94/95 although he only played 4 games. Not overly excited about the appointment but time will tell.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always found it amazing how similar the format MLS and A-League are.
Only leagues to determine champions through playoffs.

Having a Finals play-off series has a long history in Australian football codes with Aussie Rules starting a system in the 1890's and the NSW Rugby League in 1908. NSW had play-offs in State League (now NPL) football, the proper version, from the 1950's and possibly earlier.

Ffa Cup draw ws today Glory got a NPL team _20170629_140905.JPG

Re fixtures; We start the season on the road for the first two weeks, WSW then CCM, finally getting a home game on the 22nd October. On the flip side we have 5 home games in the last 7 in the lead up to the finals

Are we finally gonna see another expansion team the season after next? I liked the addition of Melbourne Heart (up until Manchester City Colonized them) and disliked WSW, hoping to see a team from a town or city not yet represented in the A-League. Hobart in Tasmania maybe?

Hobart would be unsustainable, not enough interest. If they expand would probably be Wollongong or Canberra (although Canberra have had a few failed NSL teams in the past). One thing we don't need is another fucking Sydney or Melbourne team

A Brisbane Derby would be cool, there's talk of a Fremantle team trying but I don't think we have the population nor interest to sustain two teams in WA

Same with talk about Adelaide City. No room for 2 clubs here. No doubt the FFA will take the easy option of another Sydney, if not Wollongong club, for one of the spots.

If they are going for another NSW or VIC team my votes Wollongong, the Melb and Syd teams already bore the shit out of me. I watched the Wollongong v Sydney FFA cup last season and was impressed with Wollongongs support

Considering limited population in Australia, they should think more globally. Singapore? Geographically it can't be worse for Sydney team than going to Perth.

A season or two before Perth Glory entered the old NSL a Perth team and a Darwin team joined the S-League finishing 1st and 2nd respectively. Think both sides only lasted 1 season before being disbanded. Flying time from Sydney to Singapore is a bit over 8 hours against just over 3 hours to Wellington. Perth-Singapore is over 5 hours and Perth-Auckland 6 hours, takes longer to get to Wellington as no direct flights.

Considering limited population in Australia, they should think more globally. Singapore? Geographically it can't be worse for Sydney team than going to Perth.

Can't be worse for a Sydney team? That's a short domestic flight compared to Perth to Wellington. Oh and f**k Sydney

• 4 weeks later...

FFA Cup proper gets going with first games of what they call the Round of 32. No A-League clubs in action until next week. TV game is listed as South Melbourne v Edgeworth Eagles from NNSW, all Sydney derby with Hills United (level 3) at home to Hakoah Sydney City East, also in Sydney Bankstown Berries (level 3) are at home to Metro Stars from Adelaide and in Perth Sorrento FC meet Canberra Olympic. No idea what to expect so will tip H, A, A, H.

Another batch of FFA ties tonight with 4 A-League teams in action. Main TV game is Heidelberg United v Perth Glory. Melbourne City travel to Brisbane to face Peninsula Power (Level 3) at a ground called Dolphin Park. Western Sydney Wanderers at home to Wellington Phoenix, with home being Campbelltown. The other tie is in Tasmania between Olympia FC Warriors and Apia Leichhardt Tigers in Glenorchy a suburb of Hobart. Would be good to see Mel C get done. Never like Heidelberg in old NSL days so Glory win will be OK.

3 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

I've a contact visiting Australia atm, she managed to get me a signed Mariners jersey from the Kappa years. Will go nicely with the Jets top I already have (and two Sydney FC tops, come to think of it);

Just so happens the Mariners and Sydney are in FFA Cup action tonight. Mariners in the main TV game away to Blacktown City and Sydney FC travelling all the way to the NT to face Darwin Rovers. The other 2 ties are all NPL sides, Gold Coast City v Western Knights (Level 3) and Moreton Bay United v Broadmeadow Magic. Last night Heidelberg United became the 4th non-league side to defeat an A-League team with a 1-0 victory over Perth Glory and they could easily have scored a few more. There is a possibility of another upset tonight as Blacktown City are currently top of the top division of the NSW NPL. Darwin Rovers were previously called Shamrock RoversDarwin and played in last season's FFA Cup.

Archived