The right to vote

Lassie at work thinks people should be IQ tested before they're allowed to vote - what does this make her?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This poll needs the ability to choose multiple options. I can think of a couple of posters who'd be torn between choosing 'fascist' or 'good guy', for example.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe a person's vote should be automatically cast on their behalf based on the answers given in an online questionnaire covering all aspects of politics and attitudes to  life in general and analysed by a computer algorithm.

The Tories would probably then have about 400 seats.

Lassie at work thinks people should be IQ tested before they're allowed to vote - what does this make her?

Not sure. I can get where she's coming from, but how many people make a truly informed choice before voting? How many people read all the manifestos? I know I don't.

Even if you did read them all and then back the winner, what's the odds that some of the things you voted for won't ever happen?

If she's not rideable and you have no pics then I'm losing interest.

54 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Do we not get a vote on this?

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Not sure. I can get where she's coming from, but how many people make a truly informed choice before voting? How many people read all the manifestos? I know I don't.

Even if you did read them all and then back the winner, what's the odds that some of the things you voted for won't ever happen?

If she's not rideable and you have no pics then I'm losing interest.

Trust me - posting pics wouldn't be doing anyone any favours.

Votes should be proportional to the amount of time you, likely, have left to be affected by the outcome of the election....

People in their twenties get 5 votes, thirties 4 votes and so on....

The Tories would never govern again.

8 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

With IQ tests, there's a direct correlation between how much someone likes them and how good they are at them.

Based on my results I must really, really hate them.  :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2017 at 23:21, Shades75 said:

Votes should be proportional to the amount of time you, likely, have left to be affected by the outcome of the election....

People in their twenties get 5 votes, thirties 4 votes and so on....

The Tories would never govern again.

I don't think you've thought that through as it would mean that 30 year old people in bits of west central Scotland would get the same representation as 50 year old people in Surrey.

Did she say what the pass mark would be?

There already has been legislation to prevent people with genuine profound learning disabilities from voting

Under the 1918 Representation of the People Act, you cannot register as an elector if you are “an idiot; a lunatic… [or] an imbecile who is not compos mentis” – 

IQ scores will be used as a diagnostic tool in diagnosing learning disabilities so , in a way, this is already in place but it only affects a tiny proportion of the population.

Normally however when people say stuff like this they're insinuating that the cut off should be a lot higher which would involve disenfranchising large swathes of the population

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

My Grandma missed out on an election under that rule.

But "simply having a cock" wasn't enough to get you a vote before 1918 which is what I was getting at.

Yeah, I know. Just a bit of good old fashioned pedantry.

An IQ test would still be easier than reading all the party manifestos from start to finish, doing a critical appraisal of all of them and then casting your vote accordingly.

What if the first question on the IQ test was "Would you ever vote Tory?"

An IQ test would still be easier than reading all the party manifestos from start to finish, doing a critical appraisal of all of them and then casting your vote accordingly.

What if the first question on the IQ test was "Would you ever vote Tory?"

Saves time. Any c**t that says aye doesn't get to vote. Sorted.

Archived