1 minute ago, Sooky said:

Going to be dull and post something serious...

It's obviously a very good thing and it serves its purpose well and stems from the 1969 Stonewall riots - which I guess served as the catalyst of the gay liberation movement.

We're lucky enough to live in one of the most tolerant places in the world, especially with regards to LGBT acceptance. Pride around the world however serves as a way to tackle blatant discrimination in many countries where LGBT people are second class citizens. Especially in places such as Eastern Europe where Pride marches are often allowed, but subjected to intimidation and violence. Even in the U.K., where equality under the law is mostly recognised (with a few exceptions) Pride still serves to tackle societal issues and, perhaps more importantly, serves as a space for LGBT people to feel comfortable.

Our society has come on leaps and bounds even in the past decade, but issues still exist. Whilst I've had a generally accepting family and friends and regard myself to be fairly lucky, I know plenty who haven't been as fortunate. It's little, but meaningful, things that can have barriers though. For example, in the past I've never felt particularly comfortable holding the hand of my ex partners in public. I'd have absolutely no qualms about doing so during Pride. It's small things like this that heterosexual couples have never had to be concerned about.

So, yes, a good thing.

Amen.

I've been to Manchester Pride a few times over the years. Superbly organised every time I've been.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sooky said:

Going to be dull and post something serious...

It's obviously a very good thing and it serves its purpose well and stems from the 1969 Stonewall riots - which I guess served as the catalyst of the gay liberation movement.

We're lucky enough to live in one of the most tolerant places in the world, especially with regards to LGBT acceptance. Pride around the world however serves as a way to tackle blatant discrimination in many countries where LGBT people are second class citizens. Especially in places such as Eastern Europe where Pride marches are often allowed, but subjected to intimidation and violence. Even in the U.K., where equality under the law is mostly recognised (with a few exceptions) Pride still serves to tackle societal issues and, perhaps more importantly, serves as a space for LGBT people to feel comfortable.

Our society has come on leaps and bounds even in the past decade, but issues still exist. Whilst I've had a generally accepting family and friends and regard myself to be fairly lucky, I know plenty who haven't been as fortunate. It's little, but meaningful, things that can have barriers though. For example, in the past I've never felt particularly comfortable holding the hand of my ex partners in public. I'd have absolutely no qualms about doing so during Pride. It's small things like this that heterosexual couples have never had to be concerned about.

So, yes, a good thing.

You're right - I've seen it happen and although it's a little thing it's sad to see. We were out one night with the bro-in-law and his boyfriend at the time and the four of us were walking back to the car - heard voices of people approaching round the corner and the two of them dropped each other's hands like they were electrified.

Re Pride: never actually been to one, but I'd take it over an orange walk any day of the week.

Publicly holding hands with my ex partner was something I was never comfortable with. No I shouldn't have cared and it wasn't fair for him but when any public displays of affection are met with stares and muttered comments it puts you off.

I'm aware how fortunate I am to live where and when I do and acceptance of homosexuality is very much the view in the mainstream. However, casual homophobia is still very much a thing unfortunately with reactions like I have mentioned above. Pride festivals give LGBT+ couples and people a place where they can be themselves and show affection that they would otherwise feel wary of doing so.

For all their failings, Pride festivals are vital.

20 hours ago, ICTChris said:

WHAT ABOUT STRAIGHT PRIDE EH shouts your drunken uncle as everyone looks at the floor and wishes he'd finally move to Benidorm like he keeps saying he's going to.

Benidorm has quite a lively gay scene. Also a bit of a Mecca for cross-dressers...  

We had a pride march in Alloa earlier this year, from which I learned the phrase "we're here, we're queer, we're not going shopping".

Stuck to their word too, the tight b*****ds  :angry:

14 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Publicly holding hands with my ex partner was something I was never comfortable with. No I shouldn't have cared and it wasn't fair for him but when any public displays of affection are met with stares and muttered comments it puts you off.

I'm aware how fortunate I am to live where and when I do and acceptance of homosexuality is very much the view in the mainstream. However, casual homophobia is still very much a thing unfortunately with reactions like I have mentioned above. Pride festivals give LGBT+ couples and people a place where they can be themselves and show affection that they would otherwise feel wary of doing so.

For all their failings, Pride festivals are vital.

Not so much been to a pride event as happened upon whatever was happening in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago. My mate and I got a bit of a feeling that some of the people there were those middle class "cause supporting" types and that in today's world it's s "nice' or easy cause to support. I'm not sureif there is some truth in that or not - could be well off the mark. But what you describe above is also very true and so I completely understand their value even if I also felt some folk were maybe trying too hard at having fun. 

Felt obligatory that on our way back to the station there was an obligatory uncle knobhead, pished and an arsehole, getting lifted for making a c**t of himself in the middle of the crowd outside Planet (I think). 

Not so much been to a pride event as happened upon whatever was happening in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago. My mate and I got a bit of a feeling that some of the people there were those middle class "cause supporting" types and that in today's world it's s "nice' or easy cause to support. I'm not sureif there is some truth in that or not - could be well off the mark. But what you describe above is also very true and so I completely understand their value even if I also felt some folk were maybe trying too hard at having fun.

There's a plethora of research been done on how 'gay space' is being usurped by straight people as 'alternative space'. For example straight people going to gay clubs because they aren't mainstream ergo they are good. This totally defeats the purpose of why gay people, still, need a space where we can feel comfortable, safe and free to be who we are. As unfortunately despite what you may be told the situations that Sooky and I have both described are still rife. Subconscious hetronomativity, to give it its proper title, is still a problem.

I'm agreeing with your statement even if it doesn't come across that way.

I'd just like to say that I find the word hetronomativity deeply offensive, and would like P+B to find me a safe place before I cry.

P.S. After googling the word I can't think of an older one that conveys the meaning better, so I apologise for teasing.

I like London Pride and Pride London so it's a win-win.  Wycombe has an active LGBT community and a group of us have had a gay day out for the past 3 years and I look forward to next Saturday.

Wycombe also has its inaugural Pride day in August: https://www.facebook.com/events/420284928328175/ and I'll certainly be attending with 2 of my teens.

22 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Subconscious hetronomativity, to give it its proper title, is still a problem.

I'm not really sure what this means, but I'd like to find out. I'm not sure the term "normality" is particularly valuable for most things in life, but the available research suggests that around 95% of people are heterosexual.

I'm not really sure what this means, but I'd like to find out. I'm not sure the term "normality" is particularly valuable for most things in life, but the available research suggests that around 95% of people are heterosexual.

The guesses for the gay population I've seen are usually between 5-15% which is probably about right.

Heteronomativety is the idea that a boy becomes a man, is masculine will be with women. What I'm saying is that people saying two guys holding hands doesn't fit into that narrative and therefore doesn't sit easily with many people. Hence the stares and the comments that we've mentioned. Fortunately open abuse is getting rarer but due to these ideals that people form, through family, education, era they grew up etc, people still can't see gay couples as 'normal'. Hence why Pride festivals, gay clubs and gay districts exist these are 'homonormative' places, that in an ideal world would not need to exist but they still do.

Archived