Comfort zone of Scotland

Greg Stewart is the latest player to cry back to the comfort of the Spl having failed miserably to make any impact whatsoever down south. Does my head in when guys like this give up so easily coz that's exactly what they are doing when they come back. They should try and at least make a go of it with another club down their rather than come back here. Our reputation must be so shoddy atm down south and the list of players like Stewart is endless. Coll Donaldson, Scougall, Fyvie, Hendrie to name but a few have been spectacular recent fails. Even Stevie May wants back already. Christ Nicky Clark managed to last a whole 2 games down there. Come back when you are in your 30s and have done the business down south, not when you are still young and in your peak. By coming back all you are doing is damaging our reputation up here and ensuring future transfer fees will be affected. Well done to Robertson who has been the exception to the rule of late. Rant over

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What a very odd post.  Are you trying to compare Scottish (poor, no investment) and English football? 

Why should he stay "down south"? Drop down a league to League 1 or League 2 and wallow there until he's 30?  

Maybe he's got a bit of ambition and sees that coming back up here (not crying either) is the best move career wise.

Donaldson and Clark are shite btw, and May did have a bad injury.  Fyvie has an FA Cup medal as someone pointed out on another thread.

I think dropping down a level and making an impact is better than coming back here having done absolutely nothing as so many do. Ryan Fraser stuck it out and dropped down when he needed to and has reaped the rewards for his perseverance. Too many Scots are weak willed and rather than giving it a proper go down south will come back up here to a much easier standard for them. If I moved somewhere and failed to do anything of note then came back to where I was I would view myself as a massive failure. I would hate that feeling.

The reason they're coming back is simply cause they're not good enough to play down there.

If they had offers from other English clubs they'd be taking them.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

The reason they're coming back is simply cause they're not good enough to play down there.

If they had offers from other English clubs they'd be taking them.

Was just going to type this.  If they're good enough they survive south of the border.

Dare I say it, a few ex-ICT'ers fall into this category.  Messrs Shinnie, Rooney and McKay spring to mind.

It's a good point.

It's down to character as much as it is footballing ability. Darren Fletcher is a prime example, during his formative years with Manchester United he struggled with winning over the United fans. When United had a bad result or they conceded, Fletcher was usually the easy target by the fans. But did Fletcher wilt? Did he lower his head and make the abuse affecr his performances or development? Why not, it happened with so many players at Manchester United.

Nope. He puffed out his chest, worked on his game, worked his arse off and he eventually won over the United fans, en mass. Not many of our players would have the same will, desire and drive. 

I'd also say that that's one of the reasons why our players are so reluctant to go abroad. Bannan is suited for a Spanish or a Portuguese league, but he'd much rather stay in the UK. Barry Ferguson, in my opinion, could've played in any league, but he suffered from home sickness so much that he couldn't even make it in England. I applaud Gauld for wanting to stick it out abroad, I wish more players had the same desire to expand their horizon.

Greg Stewart is the latest player to cry back to the comfort of the Spl having failed miserably to make any impact whatsoever down south. Does my head in when guys like this give up so easily coz that's exactly what they are doing when they come back. They should try and at least make a go of it with another club down their rather than come back here. Our reputation must be so shoddy atm down south and the list of players like Stewart is endless. Coll Donaldson, Scougall, Fyvie, Hendrie to name but a few have been spectacular recent fails. Even Stevie May wants back already. Christ Nicky Clark managed to last a whole 2 games down there. Come back when you are in your 30s and have done the business down south, not when you are still young and in your peak. By coming back all you are doing is damaging our reputation up here and ensuring future transfer fees will be affected. Well done to Robertson who has been the exception to the rule of late. Rant over

He'll need a time machine if he wants to come back to the spl.....

Embarrassing that Stewart has elected the prospect of experiencing Europa League football and the possibility of challenging for domestic trophies. He would have been better really challenging himself with a big side like Walsall or Fleetwood Town in League One for a season. 

57 minutes ago, dogmc said:

He'll need a time machine if he wants to come back to the spl.....

In fairness, I still call it the SPL.

The name of our top tier changes every, what, two or so years?

A league by any other name...

I would actually say that it's worse for English players.

Watching the U21 European Championships, and how they were bullied and outclassed by Germany. A lot of the England players are with the top teams in the EPL, but very few will break into their main team. They'd much rather either sit on their contracts and then join a team lower in the league than take a brave decision by moving abroad. 

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

1975, 1998 and 2013.  So yeah, basically every 2 years.

So, it changed twice in 5 years? Wow... I was miles off.

Forget about league reconstruction or a limit on foreigners or anything. What needs to change is the name. Can we just call it the Scottish superman, batman and the avengers league? That'll make it good.

Me thinks you're too stuck on the name. Who cares what anyone calls it? I think you knew what the OP meant, if not, maybe you have larger issues looming.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What? You need to learn maths m9.

Obviously I meant 15.

"You need to learn maths m9"? Errr..... OK.

And you need to learn English. What the heck is an m9? Do you think I'm a motorway?

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Talking of people leaving in a blaze of publicity but slinking back almost unnoticed, here's Supras.

OK. Do you know Supras's real name?

If you want I'll post any ID that you want. 

The paranoia in this place is so strange.

33 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

So, it changed twice in 5 years? Wow... I was miles off.

Forget about league reconstruction or a limit on foreigners or anything. What needs to change is the name. Can we just call it the Scottish superman, batman and the avengers league? That'll make it good.

Me thinks you're too stuck on the name. Who cares what anyone calls it? I think you knew what the OP meant, if not, maybe you have larger issues looming.

5 years :lol:

Close enough, m9.

7 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

OK. Do you know Supras's real name?

If you want I'll post any ID that you want. 

The paranoia in this place is so strange.

I'll take that as a "Yes"

And "No thank you, As It'll prove that we're nothing more than a bunch of paranoid morons".

:)

Archived