Comfort zone of Scotland

On 28/06/2017 at 21:18, Sergeant Wilson said:

Well tell us where and let us read it.

Yep, I know full well that you were trying to take the piss, but I just received good news on that front.

I sent an outline of a novel to a few (DOZEN) publishers and one has bitten. If things go well, then yay.

No one here will be interested, as I expect most of you are unable to read above a primary school level, but if you're nice boys and girls I'll share a link when the i's have been dotted and the t's been crossed, I'll send you a link. 

Life is funny sometimes. :)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/11/2017 at 11:10, gannonball said:

Quite an interesting interview that with Ferry. Allegedly we offered 5 million for Brown and Thomson to hibs back in the day, Hibs said they wanted Ferry thrown in as well but  Celtic rated him that highly they said he was not to be part of sny deal. He was out for about 2 seasons not long after that though.

England appears to still be behind other countries in terms of fitness and we still lag quite significantly behind them. It was interesting to hear him say about saying not getting paid enough to maintain that level of fitness. I think this is where lack of ambition comes in. Quite happy to take a wage and eat what they want, go through the motions at work/training and lead a life not much different to you and I.

I wonder what he considers the cut off (in terms of pay) to be in order to maintain a certain level of fitness. What a fucking loser's attitude.

On 7/11/2017 at 11:39, football maniac said:

I actually think we are better now technically than we have been for many a year. I agree with the above posters that our big problem is fitness. Old school training of running all the time is missing. If you are fit and have a small amount of ability you are much more use than someone with all the talent in the world but who is unfit. Stuart Armstong today stands out due to his superior fitness levels. He is technically competent with both feet, but its his ability to run all day that makes him the stand out. Too many of our players prefer fannying around with the ball rather than doing the ugly stuff no one likes which is what is required. We also seem to lack physicality. We seem to somehow have a group of neither nors. Neither fit nor strong but decent enough on the ball.

Are we f**k. We still just launch the ball up the pitch all the time for the most part. 

19 hours ago, SlayerX said:

For the populace it's an economical issue, cheap food is usually the worst for you.

As for athletes, it's more of an educational issue. There you are having Simon Ferry, a professional athlete, smirking and deriding his manager for declaring that ketchup and Mayonnaise and Sausages are bad for you. Football clubs should bring in nutritionists in order to educate the players. 

Recently Wayne Rooney was spotted in a McDonald's drive-thru with his son in tow. That's teetering on child abuse.

A monumental myth that healthy food is more expensive, and I'm not sure how it developed. You can buy a bag of carrots for 45p. An onion costs 19p. A pack of three peppers is under £1. A couple of chicken breasts is about £2. A bag of bananas is under £1. Etc etc.

No one here will be interested, as I expect most of you are unable to read above a primary school level, but if you're nice boys and girls I'll share a link when the i's have been dotted and the t's been crossed, I'll send you a link.

This is a very long sentence where you tell us twice you might share the link. I would avoid writing like this if you wish to make print. H2H.

Edit: ps, congrats btw. Hard work does sometimes pay off! All the best with it.

55 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Yep, I know full well that you were trying to take the piss, but I just received good news on that front.

I sent an outline of a novel to a few (DOZEN) publishers and one has bitten. If things go well, then yay.

Life is funny sometimes. :)

You could spend a bit of the advance on a PnB meetup - where we could all hug and bond?

Seriously tho, well done. The publishing industry is a tough nut to crack. Have you drafted the novel yet or just the outline?

One thing I've never grasped is this excuse for not eating healthy because unhealthy food is the cheaper option and trying healthier alternatives just increases the bill. It's just utter garbage. Fruit and veg is (pardon the pun) cheap as chips. I'm not saying that you don't get some cheap garbage in the frozen section, packs of 50 potato smileys for a quid etc, but making a salad or sticking some veg in the oven doesn't seem THAT out of the question or overly time consuming.

For example, today I've had yogurt with oats and chopped up apple, tin of soup at lunch and I made an enormous pot of pasta yesterday that'll do me a few days ago with the sauce made with chopped tomatoes instead of the pre-made tinned stuff that's balls full of sugar, have some o' that for dinner. I can't imagine that comes in at over a fiver for my scran today? And I'm not a particularly healthy person. I know that's just one day though, so maybe I'm talking nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

One thing I've never grasped is this excuse for not eating healthy because unhealthy food is the cheaper option and trying healthier alternatives just increases the bill. It's just utter garbage. Fruit and veg is (pardon the pun) cheap as chips. I'm not saying that you don't get some cheap garbage in the frozen section, packs of 50 potato smileys for a quid etc, but making a salad or sticking some veg in the oven doesn't seem THAT out of the question or overly time consuming.

For example, today I've had yogurt with oats and chopped up apple, tin of soup at lunch and I made an enormous pot of pasta yesterday that'll do me a few days ago with the sauce made with chopped tomatoes instead of the pre-made tinned stuff that's balls full of sugar, have some o' that for dinner. I can't imagine that comes in at over a fiver for my scran today? And I'm not a particularly healthy person. I know that's just one day though, so maybe I'm talking nonsense. 

I think it's also an educational and cultural issue - people need to have knowledge of cooking etc and also the time and inclination to sit and eat meals rather than graze all day on rubbish. 

I had a work trip to Italy a few years ago and they all took a full hour for lunch, went and sat in a group with their colleagues and ate a proper meal, sometimes 2-3 courses.  People came in later and no-one ate breakfast in the office or really grazed or snacked.  In every office I've worked in people tend to eat breakfast from the canteen (usually bacon rolls etc), eat a sandwich, crisps and a can of coke at their desk for lunch and snack during the day.  I think maybe the Italians have a better way of doing things.

I'm no different tbh, although I've started eating breakfast before going in and eating a more substantial lunch, not just a sandwich.

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

You could spend a bit of the advance on a PnB meetup - where we could all hug and bond?

Seriously tho, well done. The publishing industry is a tough nut to crack. Have you drafted the novel yet or just the outline?

lol. I'll consider it. :P

Thank you! That's very nice of you.:)

To be honest, I'm still buzzing. God knows what I'll be like when I come down. It's worth thinking about. I'm not counting my chickens, though, as I've dealt with a couple of publishing houses in the past and I know that things can do awry. Things are sounding promising, though.

I haven't written the novel, at least not all of it. If you send in a heavily drafted outline and a solid (3 or 4 times drafted) first three chapters then it can open the door. 

3 hours ago, NorthernJambo said:

This is a very long sentence where you tell us twice you might share the link. I would avoid writing like this if you wish to make print. H2H.

Edit: ps, congrats btw. Hard work does sometimes pay off! All the best with it.

lol. Trust me, copy-editors are my best friend. ;)

Thank you! :) There's a lonnnng way to go, but with any luck I'll be able to seal a deal. Hopefully.

Diet has no doubt a negative impact on many Scottish players but I still feel lack of effort and laziness is the main downfall. If you eat good quality big meals like pasta, chicken and stir fries then I think even if you end up eating rubbish like cookies, chocolate bars etc it doesn't have as much of an impact on performance if you are burning it off through running. Moderation though I guess is the key. Its an educational factor as much as anything. A lot of people in this country cant cook or have a very basic knowledge of cooking so therefore get takeaways frequently to make life easy. Takeaways as the main meal don't provide people with the right fuel and will have a massive negative impact on performance in the main. So I'm thinking eating healthy main meals plus fairly frequent treats you can get away with if you train hard. Eating poor quality main meals will make you suffer whether you have treats on the side or not.

Young people in Scotland generally eat crap and see getting drunk as a good night out. Not really conducive to a career as a professional athlete. England obviously have the same problem, but with more money and ten times the population they can get by.

If you eat good quality big meals like pasta, chicken and stir fries

Its an educational factor as much as anything. A lot of people in this country cant cook or have a very basic knowledge of cooking so therefore get takeaways frequently to make life easy. Takeaways as the main meal don't provide people with the right fuel and will have a massive negative impact on performance in the main.

They could easily get takeaway pasta, chicken and stir fry. There's plenty of takeaways which provide the right fuel. Just because you can't cook doesn't mean you have to eat shite, people just choose to eat shite.

Turns out that I was right to count my chickens, as the eggs did indeed hatch. 

If there are any budding or aspiring writers in this place, allow me to give you this tip; endeavour to make your narrative voice as familiar as possible. If your voice is familiar then it’ll give the reader an easy transition, the more familiar the voice the less transition there will be. And it WILL make your story stand out and it will make publishers/editors take notice.

For example: When I began posting in this place my voice was familiar with people, so much so that they thought that I had a pre-existing relationship to this place. Hell, I’ve lost count of the amount of posts who I was mistaken for. In hindsight, that absolutely gave me a boost when it came to the narrative voice question, not that it was ever a question, but if it ever were, it would be answered. :P

Do I have a familiar narrative voice? Quite clearly. I have an innate talent for it, but you can develop it if you practice.

The next 2-? Months it’ll be nose to the grindstone for me, so there’s little to no chance of me returning in that time. Will I return at all? I don’t know.

Thanks to you all, and I genuinely mean that.

The hard works starts now.

Archived