Football tours / Liverpool

3 hours ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Anyone been on a football tour? I'm going to Liverpool fc next month. Has anyone done the a field tour? Any good. Wanted to do Goodson but no dates when I'm there

First thing they tell you is don't park anywhere near to the ground

I did the Anfield tour back in 2008, was pretty good although we didn't go on the pitch as it was in the middle of the season.  And Uncle Scan is correct, parking near the ground will be dicey, better off researching public transit to get to Anfield or taking a taxi.  

I've done the Newcastle one, the Hampden one and the Arsenal one the Newcastle one was absolutely brilliant and is the benchmark for me nothing has come close.

Ive done Dortmund and Newcastle ones. Newcastle one was superb as guy really knew his stuff.

I did a tour round St James on valentines weekend with my Mrs. Was a pretty tall grey haired chap who took us round, he was a top bloke and took a genuine interest in everyone on the tour. Would recommend.

Sounds like the same bloke. They actually did a piece on him on MOTD once.

You got a link to anything about him? I would recognise him if I saw him. It was a great tour and a good way to spend a Valentine's Day anyway.

I've done quite a few, most through school trips at work. Newcastle one was good; it was a wee woman that did our tour when we were there but again really knowledgeable. Anfield was good as well, as was the Mestalla. Makes a huge difference having a tour guide rather than the rubbish at the likes of the Nou Camp/Bernabeu where you just follow some arrows and learn very little.

Best stadium tour I've done though have been Fenway and Citizen's Bank Park in America. Tour guides were outstanding, and we saw basically everything in the ballparks.

Have done a few, 

Hampden - Brilliant tour guide, really good tour. Did this little game at the end where you had to hit the ball as hard as you could. Would record the speed. Beat a Spaniard, felt very proud. Even my old man was quietly chuffed. Bloke was in his sixties but you can only beat what is in front of you. Fairly cheap as well from what I remember, about £20 for two of us.

Westfalenstadion - Basically we were told we could go on the day and get a tour. This turned out not to be the case. However the safety officer on site took pity on us, asked us to donate some loose change to a local charity (I assume) and he took us in the ground at pitch level for ten minutes. That is all we wanted to see in all honesty, so worked out for the best. Not sure on the official price but cost us about £5

Vicente Calderon - Did this last Summer, they do an English and Spanish speaking tour. Obviously we made a cock up and went on the Spanish one. The tour lady was quality though and saw we had no idea what she was saying, so would walk with us at the end of her little talks and explain what she had said. She was incredibly knowledgeable about football in general, had a Hearts top on, and she asked if our rivalry with Hibs was on par with theirs and Real Madrid. Around £30 for two of us.

The Boleyn Ground - The best of the lot, we did it the morning after the final game. Met a Dunfermline fan on it. Tour guide was brilliant, as it was his last day on the job. Had no problem with me choring a couple of keep sakes from the dressing room, which still hadn't been cleaned from the night before. Knew the club inside out and wasn't afraid to give his opinion on the move. Then again he was being told he wasn't needed, so imagine he didn't give a f**k. 

Off the top of my head:

Hampden. I'm biased but it was the absolute best if you include the museum. Got the game that LondonHMFC played, did well for an old c**t :lol: Guide was brilliant as LondonHMFC says. Also it was the day after the Denmark game so there were a pile of programmes in the away dressing room so I nicked a few (worth £5 each) :lol:

Wembley - excellent but pricey. Amazing stadium, great photo gallery etc but they push the England thing too much. Very busy with coloured id tags for each group.

Amsterdam ArenA  (now Johann Cruyff ArenA) very good and the split screen films in the Ajax museum made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Saw the cage where they put the Feyenoord fans :lol:

Bilbao (old San Mames) went in 2005. Boring. No talk, guy just opened doors and shut them again. Saw pennants from Dunfermline and Rangers Fairs Cup ties. New San Mames should be something else though.

Barca - tour a bit meh for such an amazing place but f**k me you should see the baths. Glad I also saw a game a couple of days later.

Berlin Olympiastadion - went self-guided but a very great sense of history. Jesse Owens carved on the winners monument from 1936 Hitler games.

Allianz - couldn't get on an English speaking tour unless I waited 2 hours. Had a bit of a look but then came back and took photos at night when it was lit up.

Munich Olympiastadion - been twice. Loads of photos on my blog.

Union Berlin - just wandered in. This was before the supporters rebuilt it. Probably harder now.

Espanyol when they played up at Montjuic - not a tour but a great place to wander round.

Also at non-league level, wandered in many times and played the daft laddie. Got shown round Coleraine, Blyth Spartans, Brora and a few others. Groundsmen etc are always proud to show off their club. Got into Pittodrie to photograph the stadium pitchside by pretending I was over from Shetland. Sneaked into Windsor Park as there were workies doing jobs inside. Wandered into Starks a couple of times and never saw a soul.

Biggest disappointment was the night before ICT played Astra Giurgiu in Romania. Steaua were playing Trencin at the national stadium. There were Trencin fans in our hotel but they couldn't get us tickets as it was closed doors due to the Steaua fans behaviour. I went along anyway and got a really good floodlit shot from outside by balancing my camera on a fence. There were armed soldiers at every street end so you couldn't even approach the turnstiles. You could hear the Trencin fans singing in an almost deserted stadium.

On 26/06/2017 at 21:19, senorsoupe said:

I did the Anfield tour back in 2008, was pretty good although we didn't go on the pitch as it was in the middle of the season.  And Uncle Scan is correct, parking near the ground will be dicey, better off researching public transit to get to Anfield or taking a taxi.  

The street next to Stanley Park near the crematorium (between Anfield and Goodson) is pretty decent if you ask me. Just dog walkers and the like, you could easily be in Inverleith or Kelvingrove.

12 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Allianz - couldn't get on an English speaking tour unless I waited 2 hours. Had a bit of a look but then came back and took photos at night when it was lit up.

Done the tour a couple of years ago. Boy that took it was a massive Bayern fan and hated having to mention anything about 1860. Was a good tour all the same.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 23:08, throbber said:

I did a tour round St James on valentines weekend with my Mrs. Was a pretty, tall grey haired chap who took us round, he was a top bloke and took a genuine interest in everyone on the tour. Would recommend.

Why thank you sailor.

Archived