Lanark United 2017/18

bc57

Lanark are definitely progressing under Paul and Craig from where they were at the start of the season.  Word is that training has improved dramatically, which is good to hear.

The return of Cameron Lawson is a boon.  The young lad Scott Schoneville has been excellent, despite getting 2 yellows today.

Peter O'Donnell is kicking on from last season. Had some good guys on the bench today. Still think we are a bit suspect at the back.

Great to see Shug make another cameo appearance today. Big Shaun Gallagher getting fitter. He has a great touch and smashed in his penalty today against a big keeper.  Young Ronan Kearney is a player although guilty today of shooting when his fellow striker was in a better position for a square ball. Hopefully he will learn.  Sean McKenna getting back to fitness. He has been a loss in the past few games.

We had a trialist who came on for 15 minutes at the end last week, lad with the hairdo.  Any news on him?

Finally, sorry to learn that our Player of the Year (IMO) Gareth Halford and the club have had a falling out. Worse still that he has signed for our nearest rivals Carluke. Clearly between the two parties but, will we get to hear what the problem was, if only the official version? Hopefully we will have some funds to invest.

Not as despondent as I was. With most teams  being able to beat the other on their day this division has lots of twists and turns ahead.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to our lads today.  A big jump in standard for us.  All I hope is that we give a good account of ourselves. We have some good individuals whom I hope take the opportunity to shine but, we need to maintain discipline and play as a team or we will get a hiding.

Unfortunately quite a few years since we were rubbing shoulders with the likes of Kilbirnie.

12 hours ago, bc57 said:

Good luck to our lads today.  A big jump in standard for us.  All I hope is that we give a good account of ourselves. We have some good individuals whom I hope take the opportunity to shine but, we need to maintain discipline and play as a team or we will get a hiding.

Unfortunately quite a few years since we were rubbing shoulders with the likes of Kilbirnie.

Despite the 4-1 scoreline, we did give a good account of ourselves and were still competitive at 2-0  with 10 minutes to go.  Pleased with the team today.

• 1 month later...

Pleased to report that Gareth Halford has returned to the club.  He will make a big difference.

Got to say that Cat stepped in at short notice and has done well for us, apart from the blip when he got himself sent off in the Scottish v Dalkeith. I don't think he has played since although he has been at the last couple of games. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lanark have signed Shaun McTaggart.  Don't know his background but he did score our final equaliser on his debut v RA.

Unfortunately we have lost our coach Craig Stark due to work commitments.

Am hearing that Lanark have dispensed with Paul Burns services and replaced him with ex Carluke manager Colin Slater, in the week we go to Carluke!

Will be interesting to learn why after such a good result on Saturday with a depleted squad. Committee have stuck by their man in the past and wonder why they have pulled the trigger so quickly this time round.

Sorry to learn this tonight.

2 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Gutted for Burnsy. Did he not bring Slater in to help if so it stinks

No. It was big Craig Stark,  who has had to withdraw of late because of work commitments.

Poor stuff from Lanark imo. It’s a difficult job up there and I think If the lad had been given the season they still had a chance of getting up. Apparently Slater has been at every Lanark game since he got sacked at Carluke- read into that what you will.

11 hours ago, bc57 said:

Am hearing that Lanark have dispensed with Paul Burns services and replaced him with ex Carluke manager Colin Slater, in the week we go to Carluke!

Will be interesting to learn why after such a good result on Saturday with a depleted squad. Committee have stuck by their man in the past and wonder why they have pulled the trigger so quickly this time round.

Sorry to learn this tonight.

Seems to be turmoil at a number of Lanarkshire clubs.

Ex-Lanark boss John Brogan leaves high flying Wishaw.

Ex-Carluke boss Colin Slater joins Lanark.

Carluke going through managers quicker than Leeds United.

Where will it all end ?

Good Appointment by the committee and hopefully Colin Slater can turn things around quickly and mount a serious promotion challenge .

whatever the circumstances the fact is the results weren't happening and the team should be higher up the league than it is at the moment and challenging for promotion .

The Commitee have brought in a manager with a lot more experience and potential so are trying to move forward and get the club promoted as it’s been too long in the bottom league

Must have been a tough decision for the committee to make but hopefully come the end of the season it will turn out to have been the correct one .

1 hour ago, kaybee said:

Good Appointment by the committee and hopefully Colin Slater can turn things around quickly and mount a serious promotion challenge .

whatever the circumstances the fact is the results weren't happening and the team should be higher up the league than it is at the moment and challenging for promotion .

The Commitee have brought in a manager with a lot more experience and potential so are trying to move forward and get the club promoted as it’s been too long in the bottom league

Must have been a tough decision for the committee to make but hopefully come the end of the season it will turn out to have been the correct one .

Would hope the club will issue some form of statement to explain the decision and the appointment.

9 hours ago, kaybee said:

Results hadn’t been great but they just beat the most in form team in the league. To be honest I really don’t think it will matter. Lanark don’t have any money and it’s very hard to entice people up there. It’s a great wee club but I disagree with this decision. And regarding above statement how can you say Slater has more potential lol . I am sure Paul will get a job somewhere else.

The loss of two players from the squad is also a blow. Sean McKenna was back in form on Saturday and did well. I have not been a big fan of Liam within our back 4 but have to say he was excellent last Saturday and had his best game for the club by a country mile.

One presumes that the new manager will be seeking to attract players to the club. Wishful thinking but would have the wee lad Watt who has some goalscoring record.

• 2 months later...

Won 6 and lost 1 to promotion chasing Bellshill in past 7 games.  The performances have been good as well as the results. Good way to end the season even if it is too little too late.

6th from 12. Our lowest position in the 11 years I have followed Lanark.

Archived