Currently watching the Putin interviews which I had no intention of watching for more than a few minutes, but 45 minutes on I'm still watching. 

Keen to know what everyone's opinion is of him? I'm in a mindset that I trust Russia more than I trust the USA. Putin comes across as a straight talker and doesn't bullshit. I don't agree with everything he does but on the whole I can see why the Russians love him. 

Throughout the interviews he has plausible answers to everything thrown at him, Knowing a few Russians, they all share news stories about American aggression towards them, flying in to air space etc much the same as the news reports here about the Russians. 

He came across, probably by design, as the victim, all he wants to do is get along with America and they wont let him.

11 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Throughout the interviews he has plausible answers to everything thrown at him, Knowing a few Russians, they all share news stories about American aggression towards them, flying in to air space etc much the same as the news reports here about the Russians. 

He came across, probably by design, as the victim, all he wants to do is get along with America and they wont let him.

100% mate

I imagine I'd be more wary of him and Russia if I was Polish, Estonian etc etc. Can't deny the ramping up of Cold War rhetoric by liberals is fucking irresponsible though.

Vladimir Putin is a murdering c**t. I have been to all 3 baltic countries who know how evil he is. Yes America is an absolute shitfest of a country but it is a democratic shitfest of a country. Russia is not democratic therefore Putin is a c**t.

31 minutes ago, pawpar said:

Vladimir Putin is a murdering c**t. I have been to all 3 baltic countries who know how evil he is. Yes America is an absolute shitfest of a country but it is a democratic shitfest of a country. Russia is not democratic therefore Putin is a c**t.

I've also been to Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia and in each country I asked about hatred towards Russia and they said they had none. The older ones I spoke to spoke more about the fall of communism changing their lives rather than the lack of Russian control. 

I'm sure all the families of the people he has killed don't love him.

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I'm sure all the families of the people he has killed don't love him.

Just like the families of the people who were killed by the UK/US don't like Blair/Bush

Kind of. But that was a war.
I'm more talking about the prosecution of homosexuals.
Also the 100s of Russians that were arrested the other day for protesting probably don't like him either.

Kind of. But that was a war.
I'm more talking about the prosecution of homosexuals.
Also the 100s of Russians that were arrested the other day for protesting probably don't like him either.

A war? A war suggests two sides with an equal chance of winning.

One of the major failings of the EU and the USA is the demonising of Russia when, in fact, we should be engaging with and partnering Russia in all areas of life. There is more that unites us than divides us.

It's fear of Russian political  influence  on the Eastern fringes of the EU Empire  and why the EU were responsible for the climate of distrust leading to the conflict in Ukraine. One of the reasons I voted  for Brexit.

For the US it's fear of Russian political influence in the oil rich  Middle  East that is their bugbear.

The more 'we' push back against Putin the more we consolidate his power base inside Russia.

4 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

A war? A war suggests two sides with an equal chance of winning.

When has that ever been the case?

First of all you have to consider how many Russians have a positive opinion of Joseph Stalin.
What about all those millions dead?  "It was necessary" might be the response.

How many have a positive opinion of Mikhail Gorbachev.  Apparently very few.

What about Boris Yeltsin.  Started off well but then he got to close to the Americans and looked weak.

I expect a lot of Russians admire his strongman image and ability to get the world to take Russia seriously.
Although getting the world to take your country seriously is a popular ploy used by numerous dictators around the world.

I think he has some legitimate concerns about the defence of Russia.
As we all know, it has been invaded numerous times.

I also understand his comments on the Soviet Union suddenly becoming 15 new countries and some fairly arbitrary internal borders suddenly becoming international ones.
For example, Nikita Khrushchev gave Crimea to the Ukraine because at the time it did not matter - Russia and Ukraine were part of the same country.

He is right to question our wreckless behaviour in the Middle East but that is not helped by his own wreckless behaviour.

My main concern is the suppression of any opposition and the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Russia is ruled by gangsters.

There's plenty to be against in Russian domestic politics, but when it comes to foreign policy and relations with the west in general Putin is usually spot on. He has been demonised as some kind of cartoon villain ever since his speech at the 2007 Munich Security Conference, where he criticized the US global war machine and signalled an end to the current unipolar world order. This was a huge shock to the US, whose policy since the Cold War was to remain the only global power and to never again allow another power to rise and challenge its dominance.

Most people will never read or listen to what Putin or Lavrov etc say, and will probably assume from the press coverage of everything Russian that they're going about ranting against the west and promising death to America like a scene from Air Force One. But given the unprecedented military, political and economic pressure put on them, they have shown remarkable restraint.  It's hard to imagine a reverse scenario in which Russia was planting puppet governments in Mexico and Canada, carrying out military exercises along the US border and establishing hundreds of military bases across the world. It would be like the Cuban missile crisis x100.

Edited by Zetterlund

One of the major failings of the EU and the USA is the demonising of Russia when, in fact, we should be engaging with and partnering Russia in all areas of life. There is more that unites us than divides us.
It's fear of Russian political  influence  on the Eastern fringes of the EU Empire  and why the EU were responsible for the climate of distrust leading to the conflict in Ukraine. One of the reasons I voted  for Brexit.
For the US it's fear of Russian political influence in the oil rich  Middle  East that is their bugbear.
The more 'we' push back against Putin the more we consolidate his power base inside Russia.

So you think it's alright to deal with someone whose power is built on thuggery and kleptocracy?

Putin is a mafiosa and kleptocrat who uses moronic nationalism as a means of hiding how much he and his criminal pals have stolen from the Russian people.

You don't have to think Trump's a good guy to acknowledge that.

In saying that, I agree that some anti-Russian rhetoric is really stupid and legitimises Putin rather than undermining him.

Ultimately I regard the Russia-US stand off as I do an old firm game; two cheeks of the same arse, and I want both sides to lose.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

5 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Putin is a mafiosa and kleptocrat who uses moronic nationalism as a means of hiding how much he and his criminal pals have stolen from the Russian people.

You don't have to think Trump's a good guy to acknowledge that.

In saying that, I agree that some anti-Russian rhetoric is really stupid and legitimises Putin rather than undermining him.

Ultimately I regard the Russia-US stand off as I do an old firm game; two cheeks of the same arse, and I want both sides to lose.

^^^^^

Used to be in the SWP

f**k off! I'd rather be mistaken for a Rangers fan than for being in that gang of rapey student Trots.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

There's plenty to be against in Russian domestic politics, but when it comes to foreign policy and relations with the west in general Putin is usually spot on.

Anyone who actively encourages the likes of the French National Front is OFTW.

9 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

f**k off! I'd rather be mistaken for a Rangers fan than for being in that gang of rapey student Trots.

Steady trigger, this ain't Windsor Park.