The Celtic All Seasons thread

Kudos to Celtic. How the f**k do they do it 

Offload players for many millions and offer hee haw for players up here. Hibs should brace themselves for a bid of £325k for McGinn with a further £100k if he plays 10,000games. 

Not that I am bitter but still pmsl at the £325k bid for Carson. Almost as if they were affronted we turned them down. Fkin conmen. 

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

F  me. £ 7m for Armstrong.  A good player ( despite single-handedly blowing that lead against England ) but at that price Celtic will be pinching themselves. And you guys will now be able to hold out for £3-4mfor McGinn - who is undoubtedly a better player.

The Southampton scouts must not have seen that game but you're right 7 million quid is absolutely robbing them.  It will be interesting to see if Celtic offer us anything or hold out for the year and get him for nothing.. 

F  me. £ 7m for Armstrong.  A good player ( despite single-handedly blowing that lead against England ) but at that price Celtic will be pinching themselves. And you guys will now be able to hold out for £3-4mfor McGinn - who is undoubtedly a better player.

In what world is John McGinn undoubtedly a better player than Armstrong.

2 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Freedom of speech is overrated. 

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

Kudos to Celtic. How the f**k do they do it 

Offload players for many millions and offer hee haw for players up here. Hibs should brace themselves for a bid of £325k for McGinn with a further £100k if he plays 10,000games. 

Not that I am bitter but still pmsl at the £325k bid for Carson. Almost as if they were affronted we turned them down. Fkin conmen. 

325k is hardly a laughable bid for a guy who spent the majority of his career around the lower leagues. Considering you paid what was it less than 10 grand was it 6 months before it? I can totally understand why Motherwell turned it down but I didnt even want Celtic paying that much for a journeyman keeper who would ultimately be 3rd choice. We generally pay the going for Scottish players as we have off beaten off  clubs with similiar budgets down south (higher end of the championship) when bidding for the likes of Hayes and Armstrong.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I do find it quite funny when people get offended when clubs try to buy for as little as possible and sell for as high as possible.

That is good business. But if I offer £20k for a brand new Ferrari and expect £10k for a 3 year old Mondeo people would rightly think I was at it.  Celtic are often guilty of this. Carson may have played for lower leagues, but it was clear to all that he was a much better keeper than £300k and by the way that was the 2nd bid iirc. Now he is 1st choice International keeper. 

Good luck to Celtic but a bit more realism around the value of players they are chasing. Strangely had little problem paying £9m for Edouard - nothing to do with the fact it was PSG they were dealing with....nothing 

That is good business. But if I offer £20k for a brand new Ferrari and expect £10k for a 3 year old Mondeo people would rightly think I was at it.  Celtic are often guilty of this. Carson may have played for lower leagues, but it was clear to all that he was a much better keeper than £300k and by the way that was the 2nd bid iirc. Now he is 1st choice International keeper. 
Good luck to Celtic but a bit more realism around the value of players they are chasing. Strangely had little problem paying £9m for Edouard - nothing to do with the fact it was PSG they were dealing with....nothing 

Of course it had something to do with the fact it was PSG they were dealing with.

How good the player is only one of many factors in the value of a player. You might have a point if there had been a queue of clubs offering Motherwell £3m for Carson and they still sat at 300k.

Unfortunately they were looking for a cheap back up option in goals and weren’t willing to go any higher so they got Bain instead. Unfortunately a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

That is good business. But if I offer £20k for a brand new Ferrari and expect £10k for a 3 year old Mondeo people would rightly think I was at it.  Celtic are often guilty of this. Carson may have played for lower leagues, but it was clear to all that he was a much better keeper than £300k and by the way that was the 2nd bid iirc. Now he is 1st choice International keeper

Is this the same Trevor Carson who at the age of 30 made his debut for the failed statelet this year?  Comparing his fee with Edouard is even more bizarre. The alleged 9 million I believe has a fair amount of add ons and the guy is about a decade younger than Carson playing in a position which generally commands much more money. But yes if you are going to a bigger club you generally are expected to pay more as more often than not they have better players or ones with more potential which is why we generally dont buy from them. 

£7m for Armstrong seems mental, but realistically it's probably about right in the English market, especially when you see James Maddison moving for £25m.

Fair fucks btw. 

Signing McGinn for £3m would be stupid, he's nowhere close to the hype, and doesn't seem particularly strong at anything. Suppose that means he could be shaped however Celtic feel fit, though. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

£7m for Armstrong seems mental, but realistically it's probably about right in the English market, especially when you see James Maddison moving for £25m.

Fair fucks btw. 

Signing McGinn for £3m would be stupid, he's nowhere close to the hype, and doesn't seem particularly strong at anything. Suppose that means he could be shaped however Celtic feel fit, though. 

I think many are seeing parallels with Brown who wont be around forever. Brown,like Mcginn, isn't technique wise particularly strong at anything. He spent his first 2 years with us struggling to influence games and generally running around like a headless chicken before adjusting his game slowly and then getting better year on year Which is why I think you have hit the nail on the head with shaping Mcginn to be Browns successor.

Edited by gannonball

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair fucks btw. 

Nowhere near the hype ? Can't agree. He's an ugly, Sellick-supporting, diving  Hibby. But he's a great player. In time  he will get better defensively and be more influential, but is way more attack minded than Brown and stronger on the ball. Causes chaos for defences because he constantly takes on and gets past his midfield marker then runs straight at the central defenders forcing them to back off or step up and leave a huge hole.

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Of course it had something to do with the fact it was PSG they were dealing with.

How good the player is only one of many factors in the value of a player. You might have a point if there had been a queue of clubs offering Motherwell £3m for Carson and they still sat at 300k.

Unfortunately they were looking for a cheap back up option in goals and weren’t willing to go any higher so they got Bain instead. Unfortunately a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

A cheap option being the problem. To Motherwell we have a player on our books who we rightly feel is valued at quite a bit more than Celtic bid. Otherwise we would have sold him. 

The problem I have is the affect it has on said player. Thankfully Carson has his head screwed on and did not let it affect him. Other players might have thrown their toys out the pram.  Marvin Johnson springs to mind. 

You are right in that anything in the world is only worth what someone is willing to pay.  Let’s see if Carson is sold and how much we get for him. If he stays with Motherwell or we accept £350k then I accept you and Gannonball are correct more so than me. But is he is sold and at a value way above what Celtic bid then it goes to prove they were at it with their derisory bid. 

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair fucks btw. 

7m is a good deal for all parties imo. Celtic are getting a decent fee for a guy that does not want to be there. Armstrong gets to test himself in a more competitive environment which can only be good for Scotland and Southampton get a player they wanted for a fee that’s very low for them.

I also don’t see the hype around McGinn however given he is nearing the end of his contract I don’t see a gamble in Celtic offering 500k if they think better coaching might improve him.

I also think Celtic may regret letting Liam Henderson go although the counter argument to this is he just needed a change and is flourishing now.

7m is a good deal for all parties imo. Celtic are getting a decent fee for a guy that does not want to be there. Armstrong gets to test himself in a more competitive environment which can only be good for Scotland and Southampton get a player they wanted for a fee that’s very low for them.
I also don’t see the hype around McGinn however given he is nearing the end of his contract I don’t see a gamble in Celtic offering 500k if they think better coaching might improve him.
I also think Celtic may regret letting Liam Henderson go although the counter argument to this is he just needed a change and is flourishing now.
Hibs would rightly laugh in the face of a 500k bid. That's maybe 2 places in the league, reaching a cup semi final, or reaching an extra round in Europe. These are all things Mcginn would make more likely to happen. We'd literally be better off letting him leave for nothing next season. I'd also suspect that Celtic would end up having to spend more to get him if he was out of contract than 500k since he'd have lots of other bids driving up his wage demands.

54 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Hibs would rightly laugh in the face of a 500k bid. That's maybe 2 places in the league, reaching a cup semi final, or reaching an extra round in Europe. These are all things Mcginn would make more likely to happen. We'd literally be better off letting him leave for nothing next season. I'd also suspect that Celtic would end up having to spend more to get him if he was out of contract than 500k since he'd have lots of other bids driving up his wage demands.

Fair point. You let McGeough run down his contract and he helped you get a European place which is potentially worth more than 500k.

Maybe McGinn has his sights set on a move to England or Europe ??  Time will tell.