C**** on a Train

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I get the Inverness train home most days. Hearing these conversations on a daily basis mean I have some immunity to them. It also mean I don't particularly want to engage with them to help. I leave that thankless task to the Ticket Inspector.

The other fun thing with the Inverness train is that it departs from the same platform as the 17.37 Aberdeen train. Every day or two there is the familiar tale of people catching the wrong train and then being annoyed/furious about catching the wrong train.

Seen exactly that happen earlier this year, there was a guy and his burd heading home to Dundee from Edinburgh, they had however got on the Inverness train rather than the Dundee/Aberdeen one. She was not amused when it was realised they would have to get off at Kirkcaldy and wait there for the train they had meant to get on. :lol::lol:

Edited by bobbykdy

I often get that 1741 train (or whatever it is) to Inverness on a Friday for the football. As mentioned the number of idiots who think it's it train to Aberdeen which leaves just before it and is on the same platform is staggering even with the "Front / rear three coaches" messages that flash up.

1 hour ago, bobbykdy said:

Seen exactly that happen earlier this year, there was a guy and his burd heading home to Dundee from Edinburgh, they had however got on the Inverness train rather than the Dundee/Aberdeen one. She was not amused when it was realised they would have to get off at Kirkcaldy and wait there for the train they had meant to get on. :lol::lol:

Could they not have got off at Haymarket...:whistle

17 hours ago, RiG said:

I often get that 1741 train (or whatever it is) to Inverness on a Friday for the football. As mentioned the number of idiots who think it's it train to Aberdeen which leaves just before it and is on the same platform is staggering even with the "Front / rear three coaches" messages that flash up.

Bad planning IMO to have two trains on the same platform leaving only a couple of minutes apart.

Bad planning IMO to have two trains on the same platform leaving only a couple of minutes apart.

While planning is clearly an issue for Scotrail, it may have to do with lack of capacity at Waverley.

That said, the platform electronic information boards are shocking for those trains. The Inverness train is noted as a Perth train on occasion and the Aberdeen train is occasionally noted as a Glasgow train. Then the boards change while you're standing on the platforms

45 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I think, as mentioned below, it is partly to do with capacity at the station. There isn't always an abundance of spare platforms at those times to spread the trains out.

30 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

While planning is clearly an issue for Scotrail, it may have to do with lack of capacity at Waverley.

That said, the platform electronic information boards are shocking for those trains. The Inverness train is noted as a Perth train on occasion and the Aberdeen train is occasionally noted as a Glasgow train. Then the boards change while you're standing on the platforms

Aye I've noticed that the destination boards on the platforms often don't update until just a few minutes before the train is due to leave having, as you say, been showing departures scheduled for later in the day.

Never mind the notice boards, the actual trains themselves will tell you where they're going. Every time I get on a train I double check the scrolling message thing they have on the (inside) roof that lists where the train is going and where it will stop. Plus there are announcements on most trains as to where they're going.

Can you tell that I got caught like that myself once? Travelling from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh; I had loads of time so didn't mind that the train took an hour and a half and stopped virtually everywhere along the route. No ceiling display and I never heard any announcement as to where the train was going. I started to wonder when it left four minutes earlier than I was expecting.  Turned out it was going to Ayr or somewhere like that. Had to get off at the arse end of nowhere and wait twenty minutes for the next train back to Central.

The Ayr and Edinburgh trains were on the same platform but I hadn't read the platform display, only the main board. So my fault, but if the trains had been on two different platforms it wouldn't have happened. And while I take the point that this isn't always possible surely they could have had somebody standing on the platform making sure that people got on the right train?

Many years back, the train I was due to catch was delayed so I decided I had time to nip over to the other platform and grab a quick pint in the bar. As is often the way, the quick pint led to a second and then a third. Suddenly I looked up and saw the train ready to depart. I chugged the rest of my drink, raced outside and leaped onto the train only seconds before  it pulled out of the station. In the wrong direction.

I'd forgotten the whole bit about changing platforms and that my train would be leaving from the other one.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Can you tell that I got caught like that myself once? Travelling from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh; I had loads of time so didn't mind that the train took an hour and a half and stopped virtually everywhere along the route. No ceiling display and I never heard any announcement as to where the train was going. I started to wonder when it left four minutes earlier than I was expecting.  Turned out it was going to Ayr or somewhere like that. Had to get off at the arse end of nowhere and wait twenty minutes for the next train back to Central.

The Ayr and Edinburgh trains were on the same platform but I hadn't read the platform display, only the main board. So my fault, but if the trains had been on two different platforms it wouldn't have happened. And while I take the point that this isn't always possible surely they could have had somebody standing on the platform making sure that people got on the right train?

How would the people on the platform know what was your correct train?

20 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Many years back, the train I was due to catch was delayed so I decided I had time to nip over to the other platform and grab a quick pint in the bar. As is often the way, the quick pint led to a second and then a third. Suddenly I looked up and saw the train ready to depart. I chugged the rest of my drink, raced outside and leaped onto the train only seconds before  it pulled out of the station. In the wrong direction.

I'd forgotten the whole bit about changing platforms and that my train would be leaving from the other one.

Not train but directional related. A guy I knew left a party in Strathaven and against advice set out to walk to East Kilbride. After a fair way, he stopped to light a fag. He forgot he had turned round to shield the lighter and walked back to Strathaven.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

And while I take the point that this isn't always possible surely they could have had somebody standing on the platform making sure that people got on the right train?

It would be a complete waste of a body tbh. Central's main boards say which platform the train is on and flash "Front 2 coaches" when applicable. They then have the wee board after the barriers. The TE or Guard is generally at the back so can be asked if the person is unsure. They then (normally) have the info. on board as DA stated. And a manual announcement is made as well.

The folk that tend to make these mistakes are normally wearing headphones or have their head in their phone so wouldn't even notice someone directing them!

Years ago the train used to split at Kilmarnock so I'd always make sure and ask someone what coaches were going to Dumfries. I don't think I could get on transport if I wasn't sure where it was going.

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It would be a complete waste of a body tbh. Central's main boards say which platform the train is on and flash "Front 2 coaches" when applicable. They then have the wee board after the barriers. The TE or Guard is generally at the back so can be asked if the person is unsure. They then (normally) have the info. on board as DA stated. And a manual announcement is made as well.

The folk that tend to make these mistakes are normally wearing headphones or have their head in their phone so wouldn't even notice someone directing them!

Years ago the train used to split at Kilmarnock so I'd always make sure and ask someone what coaches were going to Dumfries. I don't think I could get on transport if I wasn't sure where it was going.

They could always free up one of the staff watching the "automatic" barriers.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If folk knew how to go through the barriers properly then perhaps...

Like put your ticket in the slot and the barrier doesn't open because it's linked to a railcard? There's more staff watching the new machines at Inverness than there were checking tickets before.*

*that may be an exaggeration.

Edited by welshbairn

Like put your ticket in the slot and the barrier doesn't open because it's linked to a railcard? There's more staff watching the new machines at Inverness than there were checking tickets before.*
*that may be an exaggeration.

No that's probably a fair observation.

Never mind the notice boards, the actual trains themselves will tell you where they're going. Every time I get on a train I double check the scrolling message thing they have on the (inside) roof that lists where the train is going and where it will stop. Plus there are announcements on most trains as to where they're going.

From my experience, those notice boards inside the train are occasionally wrong. For instance, they'll tell you you're at a certain station, when you're not; like they are out of sync and running one or two stations behind. I thought these things automatically updated but after seeing this I'm assuming there's been some human error.

There aren't always announcements either. At least not until the train has left the station.