Tail Docking

Crossbill

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Estragon said:

A lot of the dogs are actually happier without their tails getting in the way all the time. But don't let that disrupt your pre-judged leftist rhetoric.

I wasn't aware that concern for animal welfare constituted a pre-judged leftist rhetoric, but thanks for letting me know. Are animal welfare groups and vets across the country just daft lefties who don't know any better?

40 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Plus, for all the wailing about how they're only 5 days old when they undergo the brief snip, just remember that's 35 dog days. 

:lol:

It's a fucking disgraceful policy. The SNP and anyone who defends it ought to be ashamed.

Just now, eez-eh said:

I wasn't aware that concern for animal welfare constituted a pre-judged leftist rhetoric, but thanks for letting me know. Are animal welfare groups and vets across the country just daft lefties who don't know any better?

:lol:

It's well known that there's an extreme left zeal to the so called animal rights brigade - I'm sure the commentators would be able to uncover a few vets to pass off opinion as fact. Again. 

Its nothing to do with animal welfare and you know it. It's just another excuse to lay into the Scottish government. 

There are far bigger issues at hand than a few dogs having this light trim, and as I think I've already pointed out - most of them are actually happier when the bandages come off and they get the full benefit of their new found freedom. 

More people will probably buy dogs thanks to this move. 

13 minutes ago, Estragon said:

It's well known that there's an extreme left zeal to the so called animal rights brigade - I'm sure the commentators would be able to uncover a few vets to pass off opinion as fact. Again. 

Its nothing to do with animal welfare and you know it. It's just another excuse to lay into the Scottish government. 

There are far bigger issues at hand than a few dogs having this light trim, and as I think I've already pointed out - most of them are actually happier when the bandages come off and they get the full benefit of their new found freedom. 

More people will probably buy dogs thanks to this move. 

Don't let pesky issues like facts, reason and perspective get in the way of their hysterical breakdown IMO. 

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

There it is.

Never mind the fact that many here have genuine concerns over the policy and find it disgusting, never mind that many on this thread - including myself - voted for the SNP at the Scottish Parliament elections last year - any disagreement on policy is just dismissed as needless criticism.

If it were the Tories down south enacting policy that went against the opinions of vets and animal welfare groups, such as fox hunting, the criticism on here would be widespread. Fortunately many on this thread have criticised this policy for what it is, unfortunately a few others are too blinkered to see that.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Fortunately many on this thread have criticised this policy for what it is, unfortunately a few others are too blinkered to see that.

The irony is, it appears you have reached your opinion without doing a drop of research on the topic.

I'm quite happy to call a spade a spade when it comes to bad policy- whether it's the SNP or not. This isn't one of those times in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

There it is.

Never mind the fact that many here have genuine concerns over the policy and find it disgusting, never mind that many on this thread - including myself - voted for the SNP at the Scottish Parliament elections last year - any disagreement on policy is just dismissed as needless criticism.

If it were the Tories down south enacting policy that went against the opinions of vets and animal welfare groups, such as fox hunting, the criticism on here would be widespread. Fortunately many on this thread have criticised this policy for what it is, unfortunately a few others are too blinkered to see that.

What a puzzling mention of the Tories...

Yeah anyhoo, you're overreacting. Anyone can hand pick a few vets to be the mouthpiece for an argument. Nobody's suggesting it's a compulsory strategy. This is merely an expansion of a dog's natural right to refashion a superfluous appendage to assist them in the job they've been born for. 

This isn't the same as whatever fashionable cause the animal rights fascists are filling social media with - Harambe/lion shot by dentist/cat thrown in a bin etc. 

11 minutes ago, Estragon said:

What a puzzling mention of the Tories...

Yeah anyhoo, you're overreacting. Anyone can hand pick a few vets to be the mouthpiece for an argument. Nobody's suggesting it's a compulsory strategy. This is merely an expansion of a dog's natural right to refashion a superfluous appendage to assist them in the job they've been born for. 

This isn't the same as whatever fashionable cause the animal rights fascists are filling social media with - Harambe/lion shot by dentist/cat thrown in a bin etc. 

So can they opt out? 

What a bizarre thing to post.

8 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

The Vet can on their behalf, yes. 

So how does the dog express it's own preference to the vet and make sure that it's rights are respected?  We both know that for the right money plenty of vets will perform the procedure regardless.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

So how does the dog express it's own preference to the vet and make sure that it's rights are respected?  We both know that for the right money plenty of vets will perform the procedure regardless.

So hang on while I get this right. On one hand the vets are being touted as paragons of virtue who speak for animal rights - now they're money grabbing scalpel monkeys willing to run roughshod over animal welfare "for the right price"...

I think we've heard enough. 

12 minutes ago, strichener said:

I'm not a dog so not sure I can answer your question.

2 minutes ago, Estragon said:

So hang on while I get this right. On one hand the vets are being touted as paragons of virtue who speak for animal rights - now they're money grabbing scalpel monkeys willing to run roughshod over animal welfare "for the right price"...

I think we've heard enough. 

You are of course free to point out where I have made any reference to vets being paragons of virtue, there are no guarantees with any profession otherwise the RCVS would not require any disciplinary processes ,would they?

This is what a former vet said:

Of course, not all vets deliberately set out to make as much money as they can out of treating animals. But money  -  not the welfare of the animal  -  is often at the forefront of the vet's mind.

Of course there are outright cowboys in any field and the veterinary profession is sadly no exception.

What we certainly do know is that you have completely avoided expanding on your claim that mutilation is a "dog's natural right". 

Whether or not you read the full legislation or have a detailed grasp of facts is immaterial. To Joe Public this sounds cruel as f**k and people won't like it. I know I don't and I know f**k all about it. Serious own goal from the snp. 

32 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Whether or not you read the full legislation or have a detailed grasp of facts is immaterial. To Joe Public this sounds cruel as f**k and people won't like it. I know I don't and I know f**k all about it. Serious own goal from the snp. 

I'm ignorant about this stuff too, but being as dogs seem to communicate emotions by tail wagging it seems horrendous on the face of it.

P.S. It could even be some sophisticated doggy morse code, perhaps we'll never know.

43 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Serious answer- A government shouldn't be in place just do things that they feel might be construed as popular but should do the things that they think they know to be right.

If you,or anyone else, is too lazy to actually investigate what they're proclaiming faux outrage over then that ain't the Governments fault- it's yours. 

Archived