Tail Docking

Crossbill

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SNP are doing a fucking excellent job of chasing me away just now. As things stand, there's not a snowball's chance I'll be voting for them at the next Holyrood election.

Edit:  not just because of this btw. This is just another in a long line of f**k ups/policy I disagree with.

Just now, BradHorse said:

In fairness, Dobermans look fucking quality with their tails docked and their ears cropped.

Majestic beasts.

You'd probably look better without a head but it's not exactly cricket is it?

16 minutes ago, ginge123 said:

Just seems an absolutely bizarre decision.

Who in their right mind was even calling for this in the first place?

Fucking arseholes who shoot animals for sport, and who are, almost to a man, complete and utter cretins.

I’m a card carrying member of the SNP, and have been for a good few years now. I’m fucking ashamed by this. A disgusting policy to support, and incredibly hypocritical in the wake of their – correct – opposition to foxhunting. I didn’t join purely because of independence, and it’s not the sole reason I vote SNP, it's that they've been the only centre-left, progressive option available for a long time. Further leans to the right like this will certainly have me questioning my continued membership.

The SNP are doing a fucking excellent job of chasing me away just now. As things stand, there's not a snowball's chance I'll be voting for them at the next Holyrood election.

Edit:  not just because of this btw. This is just another in a long line of f**k ups/policy I disagree with.

IMG_1498132745.392875.jpg

Join us, you know you want to.

6 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

IMG_1498132745.392875.jpg

Join us, you know you want to.

Not until Scottish labour stop being a complete shambles.

As things stand I'll probably not bother voting next time, or vote greens if they're standing in my constituency.

The policy only effects 2 breeds of 'working' dogs and shall always be left at the discretion of the vet.

Cruel c***s like to use dogs for hunting this is an unavoidable fact. A lot of these dogs were being seriously injured by the length of their tales. The information the Government received through expert analysis and consultation is that the most humane path is to shorten the tail of these 2 species. Notice also that I said 'shorten' as that is what we're talking about, not docking.

I don't agree with everything the SNP do but I believe that people's anger over this is misguided. More the point to me is why are we letting fucking whack jobs roam around the countryside getting their dogs severely injured in the process of killing nice wee fluffy animals. Direct your anger towards that. 

I think the breed that this applies to are hunting dogs, it's just that they are 'gun dogs' used in game shooting rather than fox hunting.

Here's a link to the Holyrood report on tail docking: 

https://digitalpublications.parliament.scot/ResearchBriefings/Report/2017/5/24/Puppy-Dogs--Tails#Executive-Summary

A few of highlights:

- Tail docking definitely causes pain in neonatal puppies; neither anaesthetics nor post-surgical analgesics are routinely used

To prevent one such tail injury in these working breeds approximately 232 dogs would need to be docked as puppies. To prevent one tail amputation in spaniels, 320 spaniel puppies would need to be docked.

By any calculation, still far more animals need to be docked than are injured. So, even based on a pragmatic, utilitarian argument, it is still questionable whether this is acceptable. Surely it is better just to treat those injured, as then the total sum of overall harms would be far less than that caused by docking all puppies in a litter as a preventive measure.

Furthermore, that argument assumes that puppies and adult dogs feel pain equally, which has not been demonstrated; in fact it has been shown for many species, that neonatal animals feel more pain than adults.

- A study from 1977 argued that “neonates may not feel pain to the same degree as adults due to the nervous system not being fully developed” (Katz 1977 cited in Cameron et al, 2014)

- More recent studies provide evidence indicating that neonates have similar, if not increased, sensitivity to pain compared with adults (Morton 1992, Noonan and others 1996, McVey 1998, Fitzgerald and Beggs 2001 all cited in Cameron et al, 2014).

- Lederer (2014) states there is no information on the likely difference in pain perception between docking to different lengths.

- Key arguments for the introduction of an exemption were that -

• the pain of tail docking for a puppy is much less than the pain caused by injury in later life

• docking is a less invasive and painful process than tail amputation(s) in later life

• there is a high risk of tail injuries for undocked dogs.

- Key arguments against an exemption were that -

• tail docking causes distress and pain to a puppy

• the tail is an essential form of communication and expression for dogs

• it cannot be assumed that a puppy will become a working dog.

In response to the arguments for, the lesser pain in puppies and less invasive and painful process does not seem to be supported by any proper scientific evidence.  As for the risk of tail injury to undocked dogs, well there is a 100% incidence of tail injury in dogs that have part of their tail hacked off.

8 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Fucking arseholes who shoot animals for sport, and who are, almost to a man, complete and utter cretins.

Tastiest wild animals humanely shot rather than battered over the nut by a lump hammer wielded by a former P&Ber on a work programme:
Hare
Venison
Pheasant
Pigeon
Rabbit

I always thought Spaniels and the like were used as "retrieval" for shot game birds, with the alleged tail injuries coming from them charging about undergrowth, woods, fences etc etc. I didn't think they were used in "pack hunts" as such.

7 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I always thought Spaniels and the like were used as "retrieval" for shot game birds, with the alleged tail injuries coming from them charging about undergrowth, woods, fences etc etc. I didn't think they were used in "pack hunts" as such.

Aye pretty much. They are legally allowed to 'flush' the animal out their holes etc. After that they're called off, well they're meant to be.

It doesn't appear that this safeguards them from injury though. (So say the Scottish Government)

A lot of the dogs are actually happier without their tails getting in the way all the time. But don't let that disrupt your pre-judged leftist rhetoric. 

Plus, for all the wailing about how they're only 5 days old when they undergo the brief snip, just remember that's 35 dog days. 

Archived