Yoker news today

babfc

Given the pattern of postponements for Wishaw in the cup since the 3rd Round has been 4 (Downfield away), 4 (Downfield home), 3 (Forth home) and now 2 (Yoker), it may be touch and go for next Saturday! Having said this in recent years St Patrick's Day has usually been very sunny and spring-like so here's hoping that continues. On the other hand it would be quite nice to see Wishy's name (along with Yoker of course) in the semi-final draw (assuming it's the week after the other quarters are played). Anyway, if it does go ahead next week, will look forward to seeing the match and hope whoever does win through enjoy their day in the sun against Rob Roy and give them a bit of a run for their money. 

I see from the club website that Wishy last reached the 5th round in 75/76 (before I took any interest in the juniors), and I dread to think when they were last in the quarter-finals. Have Yoker been regulars at these stages of the tournament or is it the first time in a while also? I see from my research (ie, reading 'The Wee Red Book') that Yoker won the cup not long before the war (and were in another final around then if my memory serves me right). I'm an old codger myself now but even my granddad (and possibly his faither also) wasn't born the last time the trophy was paraded around Wishaw although somehow I doubt this cup run will end the 130 years of hurt!

26 minutes ago, ForzaWishy said:

Given the pattern of postponements for Wishaw in the cup since the 3rd Round has been 4 (Downfield away), 4 (Downfield home), 3 (Forth home) and now 2 (Yoker), it may be touch and go for next Saturday! Having said this in recent years St Patrick's Day has usually been very sunny and spring-like so here's hoping that continues. On the other hand it would be quite nice to see Wishy's name (along with Yoker of course) in the semi-final draw (assuming it's the week after the other quarters are played). Anyway, if it does go ahead next week, will look forward to seeing the match and hope whoever does win through enjoy their day in the sun against Rob Roy and give them a bit of a run for their money. 

I see from the club website that Wishy last reached the 5th round in 75/76 (before I took any interest in the juniors), and I dread to think when they were last in the quarter-finals. Have Yoker been regulars at these stages of the tournament or is it the first time in a while also? I see from my research (ie, reading 'The Wee Red Book') that Yoker won the cup not long before the war (and were in another final around then if my memory serves me right). I'm an old codger myself now but even my granddad (and possibly his faither also) wasn't born the last time the trophy was paraded around Wishaw although somehow I doubt this cup run will end the 130 years of hurt!

Hi Forza, our records are far from complete (I managed to fry the hard drive I was storing my own research on) but I don't think we have reached the quarters anytime in  the last 50 years. We made the semis way back in the 1920's though.

Yoker were last in the quarters in 2015 when we lost 3-2 to Linlithgow Rose at Holm Park. I'm pretty sure we reached that stage a few years earlier also when we lost  to Arthurlie. Looking forward to the Wishaw tie, I hope our recent improvement in form  continues and we give a better account of ourselves than we did at the Beltane. However lack of games doesn't help if you're trying to get form back. We'll see where we are on Saturday.

On 3/10/2018 at 16:15, Wishaw Secretary said:

Hi Forza, our records are far from complete (I managed to fry the hard drive I was storing my own research on) but I don't think we have reached the quarters anytime in  the last 50 years. We made the semis way back in the 1920's though.

Thanks for this. My granddad may well have been at the semi, probably got there in one of them new-fangled electric tram cars.

7 hours ago, babfc said:

Yoker were last in the quarters in 2015 when we lost 3-2 to Linlithgow Rose at Holm Park. I'm pretty sure we reached that stage a few years earlier also when we lost  to Arthurlie. Looking forward to the Wishaw tie, I hope our recent improvement in form  continues and we give a better account of ourselves than we did at the Beltane. However lack of games doesn't help if you're trying to get form back. We'll see where we are on Saturday.

Sounds as if it was an exciting match against Linlithgow, it would be nice if the team who get to the quarters can give as good a showing against Rob Roy (although maybe a bit optimistic given both sides lack of playing time recently).  Anyway I hope the Yoker v Wishaw match when it is played does justice to the long wait!

23 hours ago, ForzaWishy said:

Thanks for this. My granddad may well have been at the semi, probably got there in one of them new-fangled electric tram cars.

Sounds as if it was an exciting match against Linlithgow, it would be nice if the team who get to the quarters can give as good a showing against Rob Roy (although maybe a bit optimistic given both sides lack of playing time recently).  Anyway I hope the Yoker v Wishaw match when it is played does justice to the long wait!

The Lithgae match was a strange one ... Yoker were 3 nil down really late in the game and scored a couple of late ones - although it never really seemed on the cards. I'd obviously like to see my Yoker pals progress but I'd hope it's a decent game. Weather forecast is for rain later in the week so hopefully the park avoids the worst of it.

Yokers warm up friendly v Cumbernauld Colts last Saturday should give them a wake-up call...I believe they got humped 6-1 albeit CCs do play at several levels above Yoker.

Wishaw have a real opportunity if that was a typical Yoker performance.

1 hour ago, jinky said:

Yokers warm up friendly v Cumbernauld Colts last Saturday should give them a wake-up call...I believe they got humped 6-1 albeit CCs do play at several levels above Yoker.

Wishaw have a real opportunity if that was a typical Yoker performance.

To be fair I think both sides will be equally rusty so I think it could go either way (maybe will end up with another replay to fit in!)

Very nice also to hear the accounts and see the pictures from Yoker's quarter-final with Linlithgow.  Judging by the Wishaw secretary's message, there may be no-one left alive who can tell the tale of Wishy's last quarter-final.

One thing I noticed from the pictures was that it was real tee-shirt weather at Holm Park that day. Judging by weekend forecasts now mentioning a 'threat of snow' woolly vests and long johns may be the order of the day if the game does go ahead on Saturday. The fans might want to wrap up too.

Hopefully the weather won't be too bad on Saturday but if it rains then shelter is at a premium as part of the shed roof blew off during the bad weather, as of Monday it still hadn't been fixed.

It feels like I'm only thawing out now.  It was one very cold afternoon at Holm Park and for most of the first half there wasn't much happening to warm the fans up (probably understandable with both sides lack of match practice).

The penalty at the end of that half changed everything, you could see Wishy growing in confidence once they went ahead and Yoker wilting a bit at the start of the second half. If they had scored their penalty at 2-0 it would have been a very hairy last half hour, but the third goal so soon after was the killer. Credit to Yoker though for plugging away. getting one back and putting on some late pressure, I would have been in panic mode had a 2nd gone in.

Certainly not a classic but delighted to see Wishaw through to the quarters, once in a lifetime!  Congratulations to all the players and officials. Good luck to Yoker for the rest of the season, I'm sure the league game will turn out very differently (maybe even with a warm summer's evening thrown in). I also thought the young referee on Saturday did well, both penalty decisions looked correct to me and he let the game flow and wasn't as card-happy as many I've seen.

Anyway hope Wishy can put up a bit of a fight against Rob Roy  and show League 1 in a decent light.

13 hours ago, Glenconner said:

And the big time happens again this week for Wishaw. 90 minutes away from a semi final. Btw any neutrals thinking of going, Wishaw's Beltane park is right beside Wishaw General Hospital and there's plenty of parking space.

If there's any whiff on Saturday of Wishy getting to the semis it will be just as well casualty's only doon the road because I don't think my heart could take it!

For anyone interested here's a snap from the Yoker game as the goalies prepare to go head to head on the first penalty:

5ab053e1140dc_100_22421.thumb.JPG.2dd2b6464da748f4265efafc8a456010.JPG

100_2241[1].JPG

100_2262[1].JPG

17 hours ago, Footylife95 said:

Do you yoker pull a decent crowd on average?

But they're all decent guys, well most of them!

Saturday was disappointing but the better team won so no complaints. We now need to try to move up the League a bit. Defending still not good enough, midfield slack, not scoring enough goals, etc etc etc.

On the evidence of today's performance I believe this Yoker team is one of the worst performing  I have seen in over forty years of supporting this  great wee Club.

The goals conceded today  have to rank with the most amateurish and laughable we have seen  this season and indeed for many a season. Primary school defenders would have hung their heads in shame.

Anyone looking at a   3-3 result would think, good game. From my perspective as a Yoker supporter I think we were lucky not to be on the end of a real doing.  Without any disrespect to Thorniewood,who got their tactics right, a better team would have scored another four or five against us. That gives me no joy to say. We were that bad.

The irony is we have decent players in the squad but the level of performance is far below what they can deliver. 

The answer. Get a MANAGER in NOW. As far as I'm concerned the interim period is over.

From the body language of the George brothers today it seems to me they've lost any semblance of authority over this shambles and might not be too far away from throwing in the towel. Or maybe  that's just wishful thinking on my part. But if they do what do we do then?

We need a Manager now who can give the players a direction, stop the bickering between the sidelines and the field of play and most importantly get the most out of the players in the squad who have something to offer.

Now is the time for a change, before it becomes too late.

Edited by babfc

6 hours ago, babfc said:

On the evidence of today's performance I believe this Yoker team is one of the worst performing  I have seen in over forty years of supporting this  great wee Club.

The goals conceded today  have to rank with the most amateurish and laughable we have seen  this season and indeed for many a season. Primary school defenders would have hung their heads in shame.

Anyone looking at a   3-3 result would think, good game. From my perspective as a Yoker supporter I think we were lucky not to be on the end of a real doing.  Without any disrespect to Thorniewood,who got their tactics right, a better team would have scored another four or five against us. That gives me no joy to say. We were that bad.

The irony is we have decent players in the squad but the level of performance is far below what they can deliver. 

The answer. Get a MANAGER in NOW. As far as I'm concerned the interim period is over.

From the body language of the George brothers today it seems to me they've lost any semblance of authority over this shambles and might not be too far away from throwing in the towel. Or maybe  that's just wishful thinking on my part. But if they do what do we do then?

We need a Manager now who can give the players a direction, stop the bickering between the sidelines and the field of play and most importantly get the most out of the players in the squad who have something to offer.

Now is the time for a change, before it becomes too late.

As a neutral observer, I read your comments with interest. It was, to my mind at least, a good one to watch, but I can see why it would be one to tear your hair out also. Conceding three to a team with a plan A and not much else must be frustrating to say the least, especially as the central point of plan A was at little more than walking pace, if that, for a large part of the game

I can imagine some might argue they would almost prefer not to have levelled the game, as it hides some of the woes, but you did, so there you go,

Yellow cards handed out like confetti in a game with maybe only two or three worthy ones certainly didn't help the flow and whilst it was very watchable from a drama and calamity aspect, but it did appear that the team and those on the sidelines had a different view of what works and what doesn't and if that's obvious to a neutral, it must be very frustrating to a supporter.