Yoker news today

babfc

Disappointed to see Reece McGillion has signed for Maryhill. I thought he looked the part early on last season but for one reason or another he hardly featured afterwards. I know he had an injury but I thought we could have made more use of him.

Another to be filed under " clash of personalities"?

And no, I'm not his da!

Edited by babfc

Terrible news about Daniel McKinnon in Clydebank Post. It sounds like a real bad injury and obviously a long recovery. As if that wasn't bad enough he is getting messed about by his insurers as it happened on holiday in Spain. His family have started a crowd funding page to try to pay for his treatment. He may have to stay in Spain for the first part of his rehab after his operation. It must be a nightmare for them all.

I hope all goes well for him and he gets back to full fitness and can restart his footballing life. 

Winger Greg 'Tiny' Maitland today signed for another season at the Whe-Ho.

Left-sided player Stewart Sharkey has returned to Yoker having left for Annan Athletic last summer.

Today's 3rd signing is centre-half Rab O'Neill who joins after a spell injured at Clydebank. 

Good news on the signings front. Especially pleased Tiny has stayed on. The longer time went on the more I thought he was away. If he can avoid injury and get some consistency he should do well for us next season.

Stewart Sharkey should be a good addition.

I am not familiar with Rab O'Neil but will trust the recommendation from Bankiebill.

St. Anthony's 1 Yoker 2. A good workout for the team against a spirited Ants side with the usual revolving door substitutions.  Gregg "Tiny" Maitland scored two absolute crackers although his overall performance wasn't up to his usual standard.  The back four is shaping up to be a good unit & I think the defence will be a lot tighter than it was last season.

17 hours ago, dreggin said:

How did Yoker get the nickname The Whe Ho?

There is no definitive answer to that with there being several schools of thought. One of these is that it is derived from the time during Clydebank's previous tenancy, Yoker were known as the ' Wee Holm ' since Bankies were the big team playing at Holm Park.