Dalkeith Thistle 2017/18

jaggywaggy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RobB09 - It's fairly common knowledge that I am The Dalkeith secretary - if you want to see me at the next home game I'll refund you personally.

I'm not going to go into the club decision making process with you regarding why we charged for this game however to put things into context this is from the Spartans website from last weekend. 

Saturday 8th July

12.00 Spartans vs Hearts XI

15.00 Edinburgh City vs Hibs XI

Sunday 9th July

12.00 Spartans vs Hibernian XI

15.00 Edinburgh City vs Hearts XI

The points system to decide the winner is similar to the format for the Betfred League Cup.

Gates open both days from 11am.  Admission prices on the both days will be £12 Adults, Students & Over 65s £6 – Under 12s Free

Bottom line is clubs are entitled to charge for games at their discretion. It's up to the punters to decide if they want to pay in.

RobB09 - It's fairly common knowledge that I am The Dalkeith secretary - if you want to see me at the next home game I'll refund you personally.
I'm not going to go into the club decision making process with you regarding why we charged for this game however to put things into context this is from the Spartans website from last weekend. 
Saturday 8th July
12.00 Spartans vs Hearts XI
15.00 Edinburgh City vs Hibs XI
Sunday 9th July
12.00 Spartans vs Hibernian XI
15.00 Edinburgh City vs Hearts XI
The points system to decide the winner is similar to the format for the Betfred League Cup.
Gates open both days from 11am.  Admission prices on the both days will be £12 Adults, Students & Over 65s £6 – Under 12s Free

Bottom line is clubs are entitled to charge for games at their discretion. It's up to the punters to decide if they want to pay in.

Surprised that he actually went through the gate with all the nonsense he has spouted over a £6 fee to watch a match. Take it that Robbo is neither an old yin or on benefits as he hasn't mentioned this in any of his moans.

Most locals or genuine supporters of a junior football club don't mind paying this cost friendly or not. Doesn't even buy you 2 pints of beer in most boozers!

9 minutes ago, Robb09 said:

Jaggy I know exactly who you are and I'm not interested in a refund. I was more interested in why the decision was made to charge full admission prices for what was no more than a glorified training session. Judging by your response you don't have a viable reason therefore I will just have to come to my own conclusion. Yes I'm on benefits but that has nothing to do with the principle of the matter. Would you expect to be charged ringside prices to go watch a boxer sparring in the weeks leading up to a big fight?or full admission prices to see a golfer on the driving range before a major event? 

You haven't put anything into perspective with the example above either. Merely deflecting as there are several 4 team tournaments involving JUNIOR teams taking place preseason all of which are free entry.

Enjoy raking up the fuel cost for your trip over to Kelty - unless you are planning to hitchhike?

Did you buy a raffle ticket midweek, cause maybe you would have got your money back that way?

£6 or £3 for a night out of your choice, and no one forced you to go to the match,unless it was some form of community service you were involved in?

Don't think Dalkeith has to offer you any reason for charging the normal price for a junior match. If so, what was your viable reason to pay £6; (for that matter, with what you write, should have been £3), to enter the ground,when you weren't happy about it? 

As with all posts, it is your choice and right to comment here, but it seems you are being a bit of an idiot.

This is all about free will and the choices you made. Dalkeith v Hearts was advertised in advance what the prices were. If you said you were on benefits you'd have got in for £3. I notice that Gala charged £7 for a friendly game v Rangers last night, Easthouses charged £3 for a game v Leith today and Hawick were charging £5 to today's friendly vs Dalkeith. Stop having a go at Dalkeith they are entitled to charge what they want.

2 hours ago, Robb09 said:

the only idiot around here Toff Fanee is the one who can't fathom the difference between constructive criticism and moaning. No idea what Kelty has to do with any of this or why you are continually bating me but in reply to the smug, sanctimonious rubbish you've posted

did I attend a friendly today? Yes

was it free entry? Yes

did I buy raffles? Yes £2 worth

food and drink? Yes £5.70 worth

was I entertained? Yes

am I likely to return when the season begins proper? YES

Now do you see the difference?

Well that put me in my place, so better say sorry!

Constructive critisism. Not so sure, as no one appears to have agreed with you apart from??

Funny that the questions you answered were your own, and none that I asked.

Do you see.. oh never mind. The good thing is that today you went to a match that you enjoyed want to go back to and had no complaints with. That's what matters.

On 15/07/2017 at 12:46, Robb09 said:

Jaggy I know exactly who you are and I'm not interested in a refund. I was more interested in why the decision was made to charge full admission prices for what was no more than a glorified training session. Judging by your response you don't have a viable reason therefore I will just have to come to my own conclusion. Yes I'm on benefits but that has nothing to do with the principle of the matter. Would you expect to be charged ringside prices to go watch a boxer sparring in the weeks leading up to a big fight?or full admission prices to see a golfer on the driving range before a major event? 

You haven't put anything into perspective with the example above either. Merely deflecting as there are several 4 team tournaments involving JUNIOR teams taking place preseason all of which are free entry.

Dear Robb09,

I’m sorry to hear you were disappointed with having to pay at the gate last week.  In fairness in previous seasons we have run pre-season friendlies on a donation or ‘free admission’ basis, but we simply cannot afford to do this any longer.  I’ll try to give a bit of background and explain the club’s decision behind charging an entry fee for the Hearts match.  This is my sixth season serving on the club committee (now treasurer) so I have a good insight into the way the club operates.

We need to generate £1000 of income every week to run the football club - anyone in attendance at our AGM would know this, it's not a secret.  Some Junior clubs will get by on less than half of this amount and others will require double that sum.

It does not include the 100 hours of valuable unpaid work put in each week by our dedicated members and volunteers who all want to see the club progress and flourish. 

It also does not cover capital costs required for works to the ground such as roof repairs to our hospitality portacabin which needs to be fixed imminently, or landscaping works we are planning at the ground.

In terms of income, we do run a lottery and it actually takes a huge amount of time and effort to run it, by individuals who are very generous with their time.  Today we paid out £210 in prize money.  (At the hearts match we paid out £40 in raffle prizes)

Our last home fixture was 3 months ago against Armadale, an end-of-season game which did not generate much interest unfortunately.   So we have earned no gate receipts since then.  

We don’t have a wealthy benefactor or a major sponsor to invest large sums of money in the club.  So in May we ran two fund raising campaigns on social media to help pay for certain items on a ‘wish list’ of small projects needing to be done. 

We tried to do this using a ‘crowdfunder’ platform to help us buy a new lawnmower and also to source a replacement storage container.  Both were widely shared and ‘liked’ online with stats confirming that over 9000 people had been reached.  For whatever reason, by the end of the campaign we had raised only £345 less fees.  £80 of this was a donation from a former player and £120 was pledged by committee members.  We raised enough money to buy small tools, a few of bags of feed & fertilizer and 10 match balls for training.

So we have to conclude that people don’t tend to get excited about lawnmowers and shipping containers - it is not our core product. 

Putting on football matches is what we do, and seeing as it takes a great deal of effort and commitment for this to happen, we’re not prepared to give it away for free.  We have a squad of 20 dedicated footballers who are all signed on full professional contracts and they are paid to play whether it is a pre-season friendly or a competitive league match. 

We believe we have a product worth paying for and we really do value our players and coaching staff, as do our supporters.  

Regarding the Hearts match, for a reference point we would always prefer to look up to clubs like Gala and Spartans who also value what they do and this pre-season they have charged accordingly for their product, to their benefit.

We noted that four of the Hearts players on show at Dalkeith also turned out for the first team at Tynecastle against Newcastle United the other night.  The admission fee was £20 / £10, and it wasn’t a competitive match.  (And in our game we played one trialist, not several).

Having said all that I totally understand where you’re coming from, although you really should only have paid £3 at the gate if you had explained that you were concession rate. Hopefully I've done enough to answer your points, and provided adequate justification for the entry fee.  If it's alright with you we'd quite like to get this thread back on track in a more positive light for the season ahead - we all can't wait for the league matches to start tbh.

And if you are genuinely up for helping the club in a constructive manner you'd be more than welcome to come forward and join as a volunteer.  You might enjoy it, and all it costs is your time...

Cheers.

1 hour ago, CJ Dalk said:

We need to generate £1000 of income every week to run the football club - anyone in attendance at our AGM would know this, it's not a secret.  Some Junior clubs will get by on less than half of this amount and others will require double that sum.

Wow!

No It's at Pennypitt.  Don't suppose you want to buy a ticket for the Dalkeith Thistle Taste of the Fringe comedy night on 26th August.  5 comedians for a bargain £10......wait I remember you do the jokes..

8 hours ago, Robb09 said:

thought this game was at middleshot, has it been switched?either way they are not a greedy lot, 100% certain it will be free entry.

Tip-off: Avoid Ferguson Park Rosewell - it is £6 / £4 tonight for their pre-season friendly v Pencuik

Went to see Haddington v Bonnyrigg game tonight. Good game, with Haddington improving as the game went by and finishing the better team in the end. If this is going to be the standard of the Premier Division this coming season, think Musselburgh are going to have a few entertaining but hard games in the coming weeks.

Low and behold, I was charged to get into the match and also had to pay for my raffle ticket. Went thinking I'd get both for free! How bad was that?!?! CJ Dalk - I only wish you had tipped me off about that game as well as the Whitehill match.

10 minutes ago, Toffee fan said:

Went to see Haddington v Bonnyrigg game tonight. Good game, with Haddington improving as the game went by and finishing the better team in the end. If this is going to be the standard of the Premier Division this coming season, think Musselburgh are going to have a few entertaining but hard games in the coming weeks.

Low and behold, I was charged to get into the match and also had to pay for my raffle ticket. Went thinking I'd get both for free! How bad was that?!?! CJ Dalk - I only wish you had tipped me off about that game as well as the Whitehall match.

Sorry about that Toffee fan, it's a thankless task keeping on top of who's charging what.  I see that people-power at Tranent saw them reduce the admission fee from an eye-watering £5 to just £3 v Tynecastle tonight which worked out at 50p a goal, great value!   

Our visitors this weekend are Berwick Rangers - following an extensive community engagement process we have set the price for this match at £4 / £2 - Forewarned is forearmed (with four quid).

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 09:06, Robb09 said:

thought this game was at middleshot, has it been switched?either way they are not a greedy lot, 100% certain it will be free entry.

This was a "closed doors" game - they weren't allowed to charge for it. But they are charging for their game at the Pennypit vs Tranent on Saturday - £5/£3 Just so you know.

On 7/12/2017 at 08:47, Robb09 said:

don't want to sound miserable as I don't grudge paying £6 for an hour and a half s entertainment but it's the principle of the matter. Shouldn't be charging full admission fee for a decent run out what Dunny has perfectly described as a pre season preparation

f**k sake pal...have u seen the balance sheet for clubs at this level.one minute your claiming all you were doing was making constructive criticism then your spouting about clubs shafting people....your just coming across as a bit foolish on here

Archived