Europa League 2017/18

lichtie23

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Koeman clearly still has business to do. Keane will be a great signing, Rooney could be handy (though not as first choice) and Klaassen could be very good. Really don't know how Pickford or Sandro will pan out, and the less said about Martina the better...

I just don't see how they're significantly better than last season and find the media spin bizarre. They've moved early for a lot of targets which is commendable and are certainly better defensively with the additions of Keane and Pickford. Klaaasen should be a decent Barkley replacement, but their attacking options don't look great as it stands. Sandro certainly has potential, but Rooney is on the decline and neither will get close to the goal tally of Lukaku last year. Talk of them breaking top 6 this season is very optimistic IMO.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't see how they're significantly better than last season and find the media spin bizarre. They've moved early for a lot of targets which is commendable and are certainly better defensively with the additions of Keane and Pickford. Klaaasen should be a decent Barkley replacement, but their attacking options don't look great as it stands. Sandro certainly has potential, but Rooney is on the decline and neither will get close to the goal tally of Lukaku last year. Talk of them breaking top 6 this season is very optimistic IMO.

Before the season they had to sign a goalkeeper and centre-back partner for Williams - they've done that. Sandro looks like the complete antithesis of Lukaku, and would've been an excellent second option. I wish they used the £45m banded about for Sigurdsson on a top class striker. They won't break top 6.

Just now, accies1874 said:

I wish they used the £45m banded about for Sigurdsson on a top class striker. They won't break top 6.

That's the crux of it for me. They've made improvements in defence and bulked out the squad, but don't look like they're going to replace the goals and assists of Lukaku (he was involved in 50% of their league goals). An ok window, but hardly groundbreaking. 

Everton. :lol:

What an absolute shambles they were. Rooney getting effortlessly marked out of the game by a bunch of mid-table Slovak league ringers sums up his humiliating demise. 

In contrast to this, Ružomberok were excellent. A team with probably a similar budget to Morton or Queen of the South demonstrating how professional tactical organisation and half-decent players can lead to a respectable showing in Europe. A stark difference to many Scottish entrants, including most recently Saint Johnstone, who would no doubt have embarrassed themselves if they hadn't already been turfed out by an even smaller and financially poorer bunch of beetroot-howkers. Further evidence as if it were needed that Scottish clubs should be spending more resources scouting eastern Europe to snap up their talented players and manager for a knock-down price, as opposed to relying on the fifth-rate dross that gets shipped here from England or, bizarrely in the last couple of years, The Netherlands. 

Guest DAVIDB69

They bigged Rooney up tonight but the signs are there he isn't going offer much. He is going to be given that wander all over the place get in the way type role that finished his international career

They bigged Rooney up tonight but the signs are there he isn't going offer much. He is going to be given that wander all over the place get in the way type role that finished his international career

I doubt he'll be first choice come the end of the window. Koeman certainly gave the impression in his post-match interview that he's still looking for another striker. Sandro could even be ahead of him. I did think Rooney linked the play well, but I can't remember a single occasion that he didn't have his back to goal.
Despite the cash spent, clearly more is needed eventually. There are massive gaps that need to be plugged: a young centre-back to challenge Williams, an heir to Baines at left-back, a winger and a striker. Also, surely Mason Holgate was a better option than Cuco Martina? A one-legged Coleman would be better than him.

I gave up at half time. Well, she wanted Eastenders on and that would have been bliss compared to that first half.

Rooney was frustratingly deep and as you said, mostly with his back to goal. I'm not convinced that's what RK wanted from him last night either.

Klaassen had some good glimpses and there were a few horror passes at the back. Still, I'm optimistic about this season. Everton fans expecting a CL place are deluded. You can't sell your goalscorer and expect to improve that much.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:27, grazza said:

How come Cypriot runner up and cup winner started a round earlier than Aberdeen despite Cyprus being ranked 6 places above Scotland?

Apollon Limassol started in the second round as did Aberdeen.

AEL Limassol started in round 1

Archived