Daniel Day Lewis

MONKMAN

Never saw the big deal myself, probably because I've never really enjoyed any of his films, which makes his abilities irrelevant. Gangs of New York was fucking garbage.

Hope he's managed to get over his crippling moustache phobia, however.

Did he not retire before and f**k off to Italy or somewhere to work as a cobbler?  Or have I made that up?

There Will Be Blood is an absolutely masterful performance, and he's the best thing in Gangs of New York by a country mile (albeit doing a good De Niro impression as the script was written with him in mind for the role)

I'm almost ashamed to admit I've not seen My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father or Last of the Mohicans though.

He should come back in a few years starring in a teen sex comedy like American Pie.  I bet the critics would still praise him to high heavens.  A good actor but not one of my favs.  There will be blood is fantastic however.

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Did he not retire before and f**k off to Italy or somewhere to work as a cobbler?  Or have I made that up?

There Will Be Blood is an absolutely masterful performance, and he's the best thing in Gangs of New York by a country mile (albeit doing a good De Niro impression as the script was written with him in mind for the role)

I'm almost ashamed to admit I've not seen My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father or Last of the Mohicans though.

Last of the Mohicans is decent. Give it a watch.

I've actually never seen There Will Be Blood. Might have to check out CEX this weekend to see if they have it. Seen Gangs of New York and it's ace.

There Will Be Blood (still the best title in film history) and Gangs of New York are amazing performances, My Left Foot is his best though. Not just DDL's best performance, but one of the best I've ever seen. It's flawless.

I wasn't fussed on Last of the Mohicans , Lincoln and Gangs of new York was ok but his performances are the reason to watch them, if you compare him to say Tom Hanks, i think Hanks has Done far better movies but DDL gives stronger more immersive performance, possibly because he has been so selective over the years.

Archived