Ashfield F.C. - 2017-18

Ewaninblack

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 00:50, LeedsPhil said:

Have the speedway lot finished their works, to allow you back on to Saracen Park for this one?

Be aware, that the question is posed by someone whose polite enquiry is in contrast to them bad mouthing Ashfield simply for not dropping everything and responding to 'emails'. Not only that, but also someone who  sought 'support' for his displeasure from similarly obsessive super nerds elsewhere on the internet who think the world revolves around them and who fill the air with nerdish banalities wherever they go,. We're not all like that, I promise...some of us even have lives!

On 12/02/2018 at 00:50, LeedsPhil said:

Have the speedway lot finished their works, to allow you back on to Saracen Park for this one?

Apologies for not replying sooner however there was still a lot of work to do the Ground ahead of today`s Match v Vale of Clyde. All ready now  and game goes ahead. Cheers

2 hours ago, Ewaninblack said:

Apologies for not replying sooner however there was still a lot of work to do the Ground ahead of today`s Match v Vale of Clyde. All ready now  and game goes ahead. Cheers

No apologies needed. Glad they've done and their track widening has left enough for the fitba.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is why I like football, so many different opinions on how a game pans out. I like that people spend time doing match reports, helps for those who can't attend to get a feel for a game.

This being said, I was in attendance yesterday and felt it was Dunipace who had attempted to play football, on a fiery surface. From where I was ashfield went long, on the diagonal all game, from either their keeper or from one of the cbs. This is where there goal came from to be fair, but for me possession in bulk is a description of a footballing side, not long ball teams. I do though concede that ashfield won the game fair and square with this tactic, however I certainly wouldn't wish to watch that style for a prolonged period. 

Only my opinions though, maybe I don't see certain things when at the football. Anyway, all the best for next season ashfield, hopefully get back up the leagues again. 

2 hours ago, G4Mac said:

This is why I like football, so many different opinions on how a game pans out. I like that people spend time doing match reports, helps for those who can't attend to get a feel for a game.

This being said, I was in attendance yesterday and felt it was Dunipace who had attempted to play football, on a fiery surface. From where I was ashfield went long, on the diagonal all game, from either their keeper or from one of the cbs. This is where there goal came from to be fair, but for me possession in bulk is a description of a footballing side, not long ball teams. I do though concede that ashfield won the game fair and square with this tactic, however I certainly wouldn't wish to watch that style for a prolonged period. 

Only my opinions though, maybe I don't see certain things when at the football. Anyway, all the best for next season ashfield, hopefully get back up the leagues again. 

Heard today it's curtains for that famous old Glasgow institution, the Ashfield Social Club. Can still remember those LPs from 40 odd years ago, Glen Daly, Live at the Ashfield. To think Hawthorn St was one of the top entertainment hotspots in the city at one point. Maybe somebody else has more info. The greyhounds left years ago and now the social club. Take it the speedway crew have other plans for the place.

Always wondered was there ever any connection between the football club and the social club other than the name.

On 4/22/2018 at 17:22, G4Mac said:

Many thanks for your comments. Indeed I think that Dunipace like ourselves have a number of good Footballers and in the two games we have played them this Season, the small Midfielder for the `pace has been a stand out - Unfortunately I can`t remember his name. It is always a tight game when we play Dunipace however I think if Paul Maxwell`s header in the first half which was brilliantly saved and his header in the second which crashed off the bar had gone in then I think we would not have had to `hang on` in the last 10 mins. All the best.

On 4/22/2018 at 20:02, Glenconner said:

Heard today it's curtains for that famous old Glasgow institution, the Ashfield Social Club. Can still remember those LPs from 40 odd years ago, Glen Daly, Live at the Ashfield. To think Hawthorn St was one of the top entertainment hotspots in the city at one point. Maybe somebody else has more info. The greyhounds left years ago and now the social club. Take it the speedway crew have other plans for the place.

Always wondered was there ever any connection between the football club and the social club other than the name.

Many thanks for the comment. I must have missed this and wasn`t aware that the Ashfield Bar and Social Club was changing. The Football Club did own this however I believe was sold in the early 1970`s.

Half or more of the acts on the "Sunday Night at the Palladium" tv show played the Ashfield Club. That and the Embassy Club in Manchester were two of the biggest gigs for showbiz outside of London's West End in the 1970s.

Archived