East Cup of (Football) Nations 2017-18

HibeeJibee

aka the Football Nation East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, and now entering its third campaign under their patronage IIRC.

Draw streamed live on Thursday (time and platform tba) according to EOSL website. Involved are 11 of the 16 Lowland clubs - Dalbeattie and Edusport play in the Southern Counties Cup; BSCG, Cumbernauld and East Stirlingshire neither - and all 12 EOSL clubs. Finalists join the mighty Berwick and Edinburgh City in the East of Scotland Cup. Holder are Spartans. Kelty make their debut.

http://www.eosfl.com/news.asp#170

1 Burntisland Shipyard
2 Civil Service Strollers
3 Coldstream
4 East Kilbride
5 Edinburgh University
6 Eyemouth United
7 Gala Fairydean Rovers
8 Gretna 2008
9 Hawick Royal Albert
10 Heriot Watt University
11 Kelty Hearts
12 Leith Athletic
13 Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale
14 Ormiston
15 Peebles Rovers
16 Preston Athletic
17 Selkirk
18 Spartans
19 Stirling University
20 Tweedmouth Rangers
21 Tynecastle
22 Vale of Leithen
23 Whitehill Welfare

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers.

Did they have to join the EOSFA or could they have joined another local FA?

With Kelty playing in this does that mean they won't be joining the Fife cup

9 minutes ago, holme said:

Cheers.

Did they have to join the EOSFA or could they have joined another local FA?

With Kelty playing in this does that mean they won't be joining the Fife cup

The Lanarkshire FA went defunct years ago, I suppose they just joined the EOSFA so they could play in the cup competitions same with Kelty.

I would imagine Kelty would be able to join the Fife FA next season once they become an SFA member, Burntisland Shippy are in both. The draw for this season was made in April before they switched over.

You can join as many local FAs as you like.

Burntisland did and play in Fife Cup + various EOS cups. I expect Kelty will do same in future (Fife Cup was drawn before season ended).

In recent times the EOSFA has expanded well beyond its traditional Lothians & Borders area. In the last decade Stirling Uni, Gretna, Burntisland, EK, Tweedmouth have all joined. In contrast - but understandably in the different circumstances - the Southern Counties FA remains very much still Dumfries & Galloway based with only Edusport (at first) and now Bonnyton outwith that area, and not even Gretna.

If BSCG, Cumbernauld and 'Shire ever decide to join in - and granted they must have special issues with ground availability and rental etc. - you'd expect it to be EOSFA not Southern Counties FA.

Thanks guys 

I couldn't at first see the point of being in more than 1 comp, but I can see the attraction of the Fife cup for both sides

As for us I would assume we are still in the Stirlingshire FA  and await the resumption of that comp

Given it's been suspended for several years - doubtful it'll return at first-team level, IMO, sadly. You could of course decide to join EOSFA and play in EOS Qualifying Cup regardless.

There are really 2 very different brackets of local cups, and their associations...

EOSFA, Southern Counties FA, Aberdeenshire FA and North of Scotland FA are built around providing pretty important first-team cups for HL, LL, EOSL and SOSL clubs. They're mainly played on weekends. SPFL participation is quite limited... in EOSFA there's a standalone Shield for Hearts & Hibs, and a Cup for Berwick & Edinburgh City (plus Qualifying Cup Finalists).

Fife FA, Forfarshire FA, Glasgow FA, Stirlingshire FA and WOSFA are predominantly for SPFL clubs, and have mostly wound-up their cups entirely. Glasgow Cup is an U18s league; Stirlingshire Cup is suspended; Forfarshire Cup is basically suspended (only seen 1 tie played in a couple of years); Lanarkshire and Ayrshire cups abolished - and Renfrewshire Cup suspended since St Mirren got relegated. Fife Cup is still ticking along but very erratically:

2011-12 ... all 4 ties completed - Raith beat Cowdenbeath in Final
2012-13 ... abandoned with 1 SF & Final outstanding - not awarded
2013-14 ... abandoned with both SFs & Final outstanding - title awarded to Cowdenbeath (won R1 tie)
2014-15 ... abandoned with Final outstanding - not awarded
2015-16 ... abandoned with R1 tie, 1 SF & Final outstanding - title awarded to East Fife (won other SF)
2016-17 ... 3 ties completed (East Fife scratched) - Cowdenbeath beat Raith in Final

Burntisland's experience in the Fife Cup tends to be 1 tie a season, normally an autumn midweek, and pocketing some £. They did beat Cowdenbeath in 2012, tbf.

R2 draw:

Coldstream/Tweedmouth v Hawick

Heriot-Watt Uni/Tynecastle v Eyemouth

Civil SS v Edinburgh Uni

Whitehill/Leith v Spartans/Kelty

Stirling Uni v Gala/LTHV

Burntisland/Selkirk v East Kilbride

Peebles v Gretna/Ormiston

Vale of Leithen v Preston

16 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

I'm sure I heard it said that, to become an SFA member, you also had to become a member of a local association.

Same as when you join the SAFA.

Referees also belong to local associations.

Back in the old days I think you did. Local FA's were more important then as each got reps on the SFA councils. Since they done away with that their significance has died out.

3 hours ago, Voice of (t)reason said:

Round 1

Whitehill v Leith

Heriot Watt v Tynecastle

Coldstream v Tweedmouth

Gala v Lothian Thistle

Gretna v Ormiston

Spartans v Kelty

Burntisland v Selkirk

Got what I wanted Spartans v Kelty should be a good guage to see where Kelty stand in the pyramid against one of the top sides.

8 hours ago, Voice of (t)reason said:

Round 1

Whitehill v Leith

Heriot Watt v Tynecastle

Coldstream v Tweedmouth

Gala v Lothian Thistle

Gretna v Ormiston

Spartans v Kelty

Burntisland v Selkirk

Some good games in there

Archived