League Predictions

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Surely the fact that nobody looks set to run away with it means that the league is there for the taking? If I were a supporter of any of the top teams pushing for the play-offs I'd be looking at this season as a massive opportunity to go up, everyone is beatable.

But likewise, everyone can beat you too making it very difficult to find that consistency.  In our case, Beat dunfermline, lose to Livvy!

There are 6-7 teams so evenly matched it makes it very difficult to simply kick on and "take it"

I thought Houston promising promotion this season was nuts going by how competitive the league is this year.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, madton said:

But likewise, everyone can beat you too making it very difficult to find that consistency.  In our case, Beat dunfermline, lose to Livvy!

There are 6-7 teams so evenly matched it makes it very difficult to simply kick on and "take it"

I thought Houston promising promotion this season was nuts going by how competitive the league is this year.

I agree with you.  Given that nobody seems to be showing tremendous levels of consistency though, I'd suggest that makes the league "there for the taking".

Nobody will run away with the league this season in the way that Rangers or Hearts did.  Its probably going to be one of those seasons where any team gathering 70ish points will probably win it.  In the last seven seasons the average points are as follows:

Pos   Points   High   Low

1              77       91       69

2              64       70      55

3               60      70      52

4               54      62      49

5               49     53      43

6               44     47      42

7               41     44      34

8               38     42       32

9                35    40        27

10              26    33       20

6 hours ago, madton said:

I would say our squad is probably the thinnest.  We couldn't even fill our bench on Saturday with only 6 players and that included 3 youth players!

We only  have 17 players to choose from right now and that includes our emergency backup Darren Barr and Lee Kilday who has been injured for months.  Hopefully Murdoch being out on Sat was short term!

Still amazed we never brought more in during the window and it will prob come back to bite us.

We have 21 signed first team squad players.  Two of those (Strapp and Iredale) are on loan but could be recalled if necessary.

19 minutes ago, madton said:

Don't disagree but surely that means that any team that can find a bit of consistency will find the league "there for the taking"  The issue is can any team do that?   I would think that there is a top six with not much between them but I expect Falkirk and maybe Inverness to improve and join that group.   Possibly too late for either to entertain hopes of winning the league but the play off spots are still all to play for.  

2 hours ago, madton said:

I've heard a few people say the league is there for the taking, but im not sure it is. There are a lot of decent teams in this league and stringing 5 or 6 wins together will be really tough even for the better teams, ( Think the most amount of wins in a row is 3 so far)

DU are arguably the best team in the league on paper and appeared to recruit really well yet they seem to be struggling.

Even if a Falkirk, Pars, Morton, St Mirren really pushed the boat out to try and win this league this year, I'm not sure that would automatically give them them the title as there are just too many decent teams in this league who can beat anyone on their day. 

It's going to be really competitive league and I can't see anyone running away with it. Could be the tightest finish in a few years similar the Hamilton/Dundee/Falkirk battle in 2014, just hope we are involved!

Yeah that's what I mean. The league is there for the taking for about 6 teams this season where as before it was Hearts, Hibs and they w@nks to lose. Still time for Falkirk to recover and Dundee United to kick on but at this stage I don't think there is an outstanding favourite.

40 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

We have 21 signed first team squad players.  Two of those (Strapp and Iredale) are on loan but could be recalled if necessary.

Can we really say we have a first team squad of 21 then?  Even our official site only has 19 players in our first time squad and that includes;

McGowan- only 20 and out on loan to the juniors and still plays for the Dev team.

Darren Barr who is an emergency player only  and even you said yourself is not included in the first team squad budget. Plays for the Dev team.

Iredale-  Can you really say he is first team if we signed him for 6 months and sent him on loan weeks later to Queens Park?

Who are the other 2- Strapp and Tiffoney? Strapp is only 17 and again out on loan to League 2 and Tiffoney is only 19 and plays for the Dev team every week.

There is obviously a fine line these days between Dev Squad and First Team Squad but to say we have 21 first team players is nuts IMO. I think its more a first team squad of 17 sprinkled with a few dev players to make up the numbers!

Surely you can see that we needed more " first team players" in over the Summer?

• 1 month later...

Bump

A read through the first few pages is good fun.  Particularly with regard to ICT and Falkirk.

Having been sensible enough not to make a pre-season prediction the best guess I will go for now is:

United, St Mirren and Dunfermilne will be 3 of the top 4

Brechin will finish last (sorry guys)

Falkirk or Dumbarton will finish second bottom.

Bump
A read through the first few pages is good fun.  Particularly with regard to ICT and Falkirk.
Having been sensible enough not to make a pre-season prediction the best guess I will go for now is:
United, St Mirren and Dunfermilne will be 3 of the top 4
Brechin will finish last (sorry guys)
Falkirk or Dumbarton will finish second bottom.

Ballsy stuff here, fair play mate.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Ballsy stuff here, fair play mate.

Not as ballsy as this.

On 20/06/2017 at 13:28, Marshmallo said:

Falkirk

-----

Dundee Utd

St Mirren

Morton

-----

Dunfermline

ICT

Queens

Livi

-----

Dumbarton

-----

Brechin

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Correct. Wildly wrong with Falkirk. Shift us down to 8th and move everyone up a place and I'll probably not be a million miles away.

^^^ Desperate for 8th spot.

Its not even the end of November yet.

Archived