League Predictions

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's getting almost impossible to predict the top 4. You would expect Dundee Utd to be challenging for the top spot, Falkirk have signed Loy but could lose Sibbald along with the others they have lost and not really replaced.

St Mirren still have a decent squad but bizarrely don't look like adding to  it and Morton look great up front but are still 3 or so players short for the squad as a whole.

Dunfermline will be there or thereabouts too, but look just slightly light on the quality the other teams mentioned above have at the moment. ICT have added unknowns to the squad and we may not know how good or bad they will be until the season actually starts.

QotS will probably finish mid-table but Livi will surprise a few of us but not making the promotion play-off spots. Feel Dumbarton will end up in the relegation playoff with Brechin relegated.   

It will be a really tight league this season coming and size of squad could make all the difference. An injury or suspensions in the squad could be the difference of where you finish as no team really stands out from the rest on quality  

It's getting almost impossible to predict the top 4. You would expect Dundee Utd to be challenging for the top spot, Falkirk have signed Loy but could lose Sibbald along with the others they have lost and not really replaced.
St Mirren still have a decent squad but bizarrely don't look like adding to  it and Morton look great up front but are still 3 or so players short for the squad as a whole.
Dunfermline will be there or thereabouts too, but look just slightly light on the quality the other teams mentioned above have at the moment. ICT have added unknowns to the squad and we may not know how good or bad they will be until the season actually starts.
QotS will probably finish mid-table but Livi will surprise a few of us but not making the promotion play-off spots. Feel Dumbarton will end up in the relegation playoff with Brechin relegated.   
It will be a really tight league this season coming and size of squad could make all the difference. An injury or suspensions in the squad could be the difference of where you finish as no team really stands out from the rest on quality  

Agree with much of this although Dunfermline not looking too clever in pre-season. That could of course change.

I think Dumbarton will be more competitive than you think though and I am less convinced by Livingston.

In saying all that, it's fair to say that it's quite an exciting prospect this season and impossible to predict much. A lot of it may come down to how well teams start the campaign and positions this season might come down to confidence and belief as much as the relative ability of the teams.

I think Dundee United have signed players who should be decent at championship level but have lost a few as well - Tony Andreu etc.  Overall they may be a little better than last year but that will probably be good enough without a Hibs in the league.

Falkirk have signed Loy but as others have said, have lost a few decent players without obviously replacing them though their youth system continues to throw up gems so who knows

St Mirren have lost Mallon and Loy from the team that finished strongly last season and now Magennis is out for minimum 3 months apparently.  Not sure they have signed enough quality to cope with that.

Outside of United, Morton look to have the best options upfront with Quitongo, Thomson, McHugh and Oliver.   Whether they are strong enough defensively remains to be seen with O'Ware and Kilday having missed most of pre season recovering from operations.  They have looked good in pre season but the opposition has not been testing.

ICT are a complete unknown but have not covered themselves in glory pre season so far.  I think they may be in for a consolidation season.

Dunfermline are another team that are incomplete with signings presumably to come but pre season has not gone well so far.  I don't think there is enough quality in their squad so far to seriously challenge at the top end of the league.

Queens have the leading goal scorer from last season and any team with that cannot be ignored.  Their pre season has gone reasonably well but other than Dobbie, it's not clear they have many players who are any better than average championship quality.  I suspect mid table but time will tell.

Livi absolutely strolled league 1 last season and unlike most teams, have had pre season matches against a decent level of opposition in Motherwell and Kilmarnock.  Whilst they lost both games, they did quite well in both.   They might be a bit of a surprise package this year and challeng for top four.

DUmbarton lost a good few of the team that comfortably stayed up last season including their leading goal scorer which is always the hardest to replace.   There is always a feeling that for a part time club, staying in this league involves punching above their weight and Dumbarton have been doing that for a good few seasons now.  I think to avoid the bottom two places they will need one of the clubs above to underperform against current expectations.

i know very little about Brechin but they will need to greatly exceed expectations to do other than finish bottom.   That may be somewhat disrespectful but it is just based on the resources of the club compared to pretty much all of the rest in the league.

On 09/07/2017 at 10:49, Tonsilitis said:

Dumbarton lost a good few of the team that comfortably stayed up last season including their leading goal scorer which is always the hardest to replace.

I'm not sure we can call staying up on Goal Difference comfortable, but I accept your point. I reckon 8th isn't out of our reach, but it entirely depends on who the last 3 or 4 signings are. We need 2 defenders and a striker minimum, I'd also like another wide player but our budget might not stretch to that. A lot will depend on how fit our key players remain throughout the season. If we can keep Dowie, Craig Barr, Nade and Stewart fit for the majority of the season I would hope we'll do well. I predict a slow start to the season for us, Aitken will take some time to figure out his best 11 (as he always has done) and with so many new players joining us they'll need to gel but we just need to sure we don't leave ourselves with too much to make up.

1. Dundee Utd
2. St Mirren
3. Falkirk
4. Inverness
5. Morton
6. Dunfermline
7. Queen of the South
8. Dumbarton
9. Livingston
10. Brechin 

Did you just look at Oddschecker and follow every bookmakers prediction?

On 6/30/2017 at 05:54, LIVIFOREVER said:

We were in the Championship only 2 seasons ago, I think we know what to expect. Sevco and Hibs were both playing there then too, and Hearts the season before that, I doubt it will be as hard this season as it was 2 and 3 seasons ago.

All these predictions are just guess work anyway, but I think we'll do ok this season.

^^^^ Trying desperately to pretend he doesn't care !!!   :lol::lol:

Kind of sums up this thread.  Everyone knows it means nothing but people can't help thinking it's for real !  

23 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Kind of sums up this thread.  Everyone knows it means nothing but people can't help thinking it's for real !  

The number of Falkirk fans people being offended by other folks' predictions is pretty funny.

I'm sticking with ICT. Robbo seems to be very relaxed, has a more creative signing policy than the regulars and has the geographical advantage of it being a long trek for away teams. Pars players loved a moan about a long bus journey in the seaside leagues. Falkirk and United might get caught cold, having been focused on rounding up Champioship jobbers like McMullan and Loy. 

Guest Back Post Misses
Just now, Shandon Par said:

I'm sticking with ICT. Robbo seems to be very relaxed, has a more creative signing policy than the regulars and has the geographical advantage of it being a long trek for away teams. Pars players loved a moan about a long bus journey in the seaside leagues. Falkirk and United might get caught cold, having been focused on rounding up Champioship jobbers like McMullan and Loy. 

John Baird FFS

Archived