Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Red Bull Salzburg complete their tenth straight  Champions League qualifying chokes going out on away goals to Rijeka.

I think the ship has sailed for them. Leipzig are a much bigger project now and Salzburg are basically just their feeder.

2 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

I think the ship has sailed for them. Leipzig are a much bigger project now and Salzburg are basically just their feeder.

I still think they should still have enough to put away Croatian and Israeli teams. Given they have the supposedly easier Champions route and good seeding they should still make the Playoff round at the very least. 

Does anyone know anything about this Istanbul side? Founded in 2014 and already in the UCL?

Did they not just change their name in 2014?

19 minutes ago, thekorean said:

Does anyone know anything about this Istanbul side? Founded in 2014 and already in the UCL?

They changed their name in 2014 they've been in Süper Lig for 10 years. 

Noticed they'd signed Clichy and Inler this summer

It's good to be back on here :) 

The qualifying play-off draw will take place at 11am BST on Friday at UEFA headquarters in Nyon.

Liverpool are one of the five seeded clubs in the section and can be paired with ...

Steaua Bucharest

Young Boys

Hoffenheim

Nice

Istanbul Basaksehir

The two legs of the tie will be played on August 15/16 and August 22/23.

So here is the draw

Champions route

Qarabag vs FC Copenhagen

Apoel Nicosia v Slavia Prague

Olympiakos vs Hijeka

Celtic vs Astana

Hapoel Beer Sheva vs Maribor

League Route

Istanbul Basakeshir vs Sevilla

Young boys vs CSKA Moscow

Napoli vs Nice

SAP AG FC vs Liverpool

Sporting Lisbon vs Steaua Bucharest

Hoffenheim could be a really tough test. Nagelsmann has done brilliantly there, and they're a tough team to beat. Only Bayern Munich lost less games and conceded less goals than them last season.

39 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Hoffenheim could be a really tough test. Nagelsmann has done brilliantly there, and they're a tough team to beat. Only Bayern Munich lost less games and conceded less goals than them last season.

Agreed, SAP AG FC were one of the teams I was hoping Liverpool could avoid.  Young Boys, Steaua or Basakeshir would have been better draws.  Nice could have been amusing as well, mostly due to the presence of Balotelli in the Nice team

I didn't realise no Azerbaijani side had made it to CL groups yet with all money they're spending these days.

I see they, Albania, Eire, Latvia and Moldova have had clubs in EL groups at some point but never CL. (Georgia also got someone into UC groups).

9 hours ago, accies1874 said:

They also went unbeaten at home all season. Be interesting to see how they cope with the loss of Sule and Rudy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived