Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Aye, no bother HH.

quite

but just out of interest, do you identify with and/or deify notorious Ugandan despot,  purveror of genocide,  war criminal and general nasty piece of work, Idi Amin ?

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Wouldn’t normally want an English team to win for obvious reasons, but I will be cheering on Liverpool.

Good on you Granny. I think everyone’s pretty much the same now right behind Jurgen and the boys. Great times :) 

Just now, Rab B Nesbit said:

Good on you Granny. I think everyone’s pretty much the same now right behind Jurgen and the boys. Great times :) 

I watch little EPL football but have watched Liverpool a few times since Andy Robertson started getting regular game time.

As a team they have been a joy to watch and I love seeing an ex-United player and Scotland regular in their ranks.  The lad’s progress has been wonderful and his attitude and modest demeanour makes him even more likeable.

3 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Whole family on my mother's side are Italian and we spent a lot of time in Rome when I was younger. Was also the first football top I owned.

I'm comfortable with saying 'we' as I do with Celtic and Pollok.

People seem to be really hung up on pronouns these days

Guess the irony was completely lost on you. Absolutely no issue with you saying “we”, but rather that you seem to bemoan Buffon and Juventus due to their despicable cheating whilst supporting... Roma.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Zidane was three times world player of the year.  Personally I barely remember the headbutt.

Indeed. The headbutt came a matter of days after one of the greatest individual performances in football history and wasn't even the most notable part of the incident (the Ref missed it & the Italian bench drew the 4th official's attention to a monitor at the side of the pitch).

When was the last time a really top player retired at the absolute top of their game? As in, playing regularly and starring at the top level.

Zidane was obviously still bossing it at the highest level and his last game was obviously at the highest level but it seems now with MLS, China etc that it's more profitable for great players to wind their careers down in relatively obscurity.

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

Indeed. The headbutt came a matter of days after one of the greatest individual performances in football history and wasn't even the most notable part of the incident (the Ref missed it & the Italian bench drew the 4th official's attention to a monitor at the side of the pitch).

Know what I was impressed by, where do you get the balls to take a penalty like that in the world cup final

When was the last time a really top player retired at the absolute top of their game? As in, playing regularly and starring at the top level.

Zidane was obviously still bossing it at the highest level and his last game was obviously at the highest level but it seems now with MLS, China etc that it's more profitable for great players to wind their careers down in relatively obscurity.

Other than Zinedine Zidane, Eric Cantona is the only player I can think of....?

Scholes was still a regular at United was he not? Just thinking him because I remember him coming back and starting straight away against City

51 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Xabi Alonso. Phillip Lahm as well. Must be something about Bayern.

2 minutes ago, David W said:

Xabi Alonso. Phillip Lahm as well. Must be something about Bayern.

Potentially Ribery and Robben in next couple of years.  Didn't realise how old they were til a news item popped up about their contracts

Jamie Carragher 
Paolo Maldini?
These are two that I would say had regressed quite considerably. I guess you could argue they were still getting game time at top level but werent who they once were.

Maldini though, he was truly fucking outstanding.

These are two that I would say had regressed quite considerably. I guess you could argue they were still getting game time at top level but werent who they once were.

Maldini though, he was truly fucking outstanding.

Aye, hence the question mark for Maldini, while technically he was still playing at the top level I guess (and he played more in his final season than the previous few) he had regressed towards ordinary human defender standard.

Archived