Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

Remember Buffon feeling sorry for us when the cheating b*****ds screwed us over at Hampden? Nah. f**k him.
Can't believe there are folk saying it wasn't a penalty or a red card :blink:.

I haven't seen anyone on here say it wasn't a penalty or a red card.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Did he not also get a red for stamping on someone in the group stage in 98?

He had 14 career red cards. I would still say that I remember him as one of the best midfield players ever though rather than for red cards and aside from the infamous WC Final one I can remember another 1 or 2 at most.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Very harsh on the defender imo. If he doesn't intervene at all the boy scores - it's as simple as that. He therefore has to challenge without any contact, or with minimal contact. That's exactly what he does - but there's just enough in it for the foul to be given.

On a different day he gets away with that. It wasn't a blatant barge through the back, and it wasn't a stonewall penalty. He took a risk, but the ref gave it (and was probably right to).

You're right that at that moment he did all he could, stop Vasquez scoring and hope the referee doesn't have the bottle to make the decision. But if you go back a stage you could argue he was only in that position due to poor positioning.

Buffon's reaction was unacceptable and was rightly sent-off. During the game, in the heat of the moment part of me understands it, especially given the circumstances and it being his last chance to win the Champions League. However his comments after the game when he has seen the incident were a disgrace, he must know watching it back it's a penalty, so to still maintain the referee got it wrong and 'destroyed dreams' is embarassing. 

Having read his interview, he barely says anything about it bit being a penalty. Focuses instead in how the referee 'ruined a dream' and should not be able to do that unless it was more clear cut.

Basically saying he should have made his decision based on sentiment and not given it because Juve had done well to come back.

Dry your eyes Buffon and maybe spare a thought for the countless players who genuinely were cheated out of their dreams by your vile club

11 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Dry your eyes Buffon and maybe spare a thought for the countless players who genuinely were cheated out of their dreams by your vile club

Your Team: Celtic

:lol:

43 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

http://romapress.us/2018/04/12/champions-league-revenue-sale-emerson-likely-wont-require-summer-sales/

Basically what I said. Hopefully true. Forgot Emerson was sold too

They should be able to hold out for a ridiculous sum. An analyst I follow on Twitter has him as the best performing keeper in the league and reckons Roma have conceded 33% less goals than they should have this season.

They should be able to hold out for a ridiculous sum. An analyst I follow on Twitter has him as the best performing keeper in the league and reckons Roma have conceded 33% less goals than they should have this season.

The Napoli game is the best example of that. Roma won 4-2 with about 4 clear cut chances. Allison made the best part of 10 saves in that game

1 minute ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Match fixing and the mass bribing of officials takes the biscuit I'd say

Let's be honest, you were probably thinking more along the lines of a certain Signor Amoruso.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Remember Buffon feeling sorry for us when the cheating b*****ds screwed us over at Hampden? Nah. f**k him.

Can't believe there are folk saying it wasn't a penalty or a red card :blink:.

There was far more contact and a foul on the Italian player at Hampden than the one last night by any objective measure; and I'm pretty sure that Buffon or anyone else wasn't responsible for Scotland being gormlessly incapable of defending a basic set piece. 

Between that and the Celtic fan there's been a remarkable amount of bizarre grievances being hauled into the discussion here. 

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Having read his interview, he barely says anything about it bit being a penalty. Focuses instead in how the referee 'ruined a dream' and should not be able to do that unless it was more clear cut.

Basically saying he should have made his decision based on sentiment and not given it because Juve had done well to come back.

You said “we” when talking about Roma yesterday.

The irony of that last sentence.

You said “we” when talking about Roma yesterday.
The irony of that last sentence.

Whole family on my mother's side are Italian and we spent a lot of time in Rome when I was younger. Was also the first football top I owned.

I'm comfortable with saying 'we' as I do with Celtic and Pollok.

People seem to be really hung up on pronouns these days

2 hours ago, virginton said:

There was far more contact and a foul on the Italian player at Hampden than the one last night by any objective measure; and I'm pretty sure that Buffon or anyone else wasn't responsible for Scotland being gormlessly incapable of defending a basic set piece. 

Between that and the Celtic fan there's been a remarkable amount of bizarre grievances being hauled into the discussion here. 

You're talking shite.

16 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Hopefully one of the diddy clubs can win the CL this season.

Another Madrid or Bayern win would be boring.

You should invite one of the diddy clubs youth teams up for a glamour testimonial ...:D 

5 hours ago, Widge said:

Of course he was a brilliant player. However ask people about Zidane and I reckon that the headbutt is the first thing that a lot think of. Not his MoTM performance against Brazil, not winning the WC, not his goal at Hampden. You’re right in that they’re both brilliant players who have had moments of madness, but it’s going to live with them forever in people’s minds. Fans are quick to remember the bad over the good a lot of the time.

Zidane was three times world player of the year.  Personally I barely remember the headbutt.

Archived