Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, David W said:

I wanted that to go to extra-time, definitely didn't want RM to win but can't moan about the penalty being given. Reaction from Buffon was a disgrace and he deserved a red.

This.  Surely nobody genuinely sees it differently?  For all the photographs of the referee looking a little uncomfortable with a 6ft 4 athlete running full force at him, I think he handled that particular incident - the penalty and the red card - well in extremely trying conditions.

I have no love of Juve but I detest Real Madrid and the Portuguese p***k Ronaldo.
That said it was a stonewall penalty, a definite red for Buffon and the penalty was well taken in the circumstances.
Juve’s comeback was immense and it was a crazy challenge in the box that cost them what could have been an historic night.  Benatia should get pelters for his stupidity.

You could see Vasquez was looking to go down, so really careless from Benatia to put hands on him and come through the back. He's definitely the weak link in that Juve backline. An upgrade needed this summer if they want to win this competition.

Very harsh on the defender imo. If he doesn't intervene at all the boy scores - it's as simple as that. He therefore has to challenge without any contact, or with minimal contact. That's exactly what he does - but there's just enough in it for the foul to be given.

On a different day he gets away with that. It wasn't a blatant barge through the back, and it wasn't a stonewall penalty. He took a risk, but the ref gave it (and was probably right to).

Can see why the penalty was given, personally not sure it was. In this instance VAR may have helped, 3 referees or whatever it is deciding over it would remove a lot - not all- of the controversy surrounding it. 

What must be said is, would the ref have given that penalty in the other box at that time of game? I'm very skeptical..

It’s a foul anywhere on the pitch. There’s a hand on his back as Benatia tries to slow his momentum and he makes contact at the side without getting the ball. It’s a pretty clear penalty, despite it being “soft”. People are getting embroiled with the whole Buffon thing and as sad as it was to see. He’s reacted like a total bellend and quite rightly got sent off for his actions. Zidane will forever be remembered for his headbutt not his brilliant skill. Buffon will now be remember for this in some people’s eyes.

It’s a shame that a career spanning 20 years can be tarnished so quickly. But he’s only got himself to blame. I get emotion are running high, but if the penalty is in the 20th minute he says a few words stands in his goal and tries to save the thing.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Very harsh on the defender imo. If he doesn't intervene at all the boy scores - it's as simple as that. He therefore has to challenge without any contact, or with minimal contact. That's exactly what he does - but there's just enough in it for the foul to be given.

On a different day he gets away with that. It wasn't a blatant barge through the back, and it wasn't a stonewall penalty. He took a risk, but the ref gave it (and was probably right to).

Maybe a little harsh on that incident in isolation, but I watch Juve regularly and that's fairly typical of his defending; poor positioning and then a clumsy challenge to try and recover the situation.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

Zidane will forever be remembered for his headbutt not his brilliant skill. Buffon will now be remember for this in some people’s eyes.

Will they really? Most people will probably still remember them as brilliant players who had a moment of madness.

Will they really? Most people will probably still remember them as brilliant players who had a moment of madness.

Of course he was a brilliant player. However ask people about Zidane and I reckon that the headbutt is the first thing that a lot think of. Not his MoTM performance against Brazil, not winning the WC, not his goal at Hampden. You’re right in that they’re both brilliant players who have had moments of madness, but it’s going to live with them forever in people’s minds. Fans are quick to remember the bad over the good a lot of the time.

27 minutes ago, Widge said:

Of course he was a brilliant player. However ask people about Zidane and I reckon that the headbutt is the first thing that a lot think of. Not his MoTM performance against Brazil, not winning the WC, not his goal at Hampden. You’re right in that they’re both brilliant players who have had moments of madness, but it’s going to live with them forever in people’s minds. Fans are quick to remember the bad over the good a lot of the time.

Maybe for younger people who only saw the end of their careers. I for one don't remember Zidane for the headbutt incident.

3 minutes ago, nsr said:

Maybe for younger people who only saw the end of their careers. I for one don't remember Zidane for the headbutt incident.

the volley at hampden always sticks out to me more than the headbutt, his performance v brazil at 2006 world cup was outstanding too

3 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

the volley at hampden always sticks out to me more than the headbutt, his performance v brazil at 2006 world cup was outstanding too

And the one in the 98 final.

It would be fair to say one of most people's major memories of Zidane would be the headbutt, but it won't be what he is remembered for.

4 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

The Materazzi incident wasn't even the first time he went psycho and got sent off. I seem to recall him doing something similar while playing for Juve in the CL a long time ago, but nobody seems to remember that one.

You think they are holding on to Allison this summer? Obviously have an interest with Liverpool sniffing about. He's an upgrade on Karius. Would be happy to get him.

http://romapress.us/2018/04/12/champions-league-revenue-sale-emerson-likely-wont-require-summer-sales/

Basically what I said. Hopefully true. Forgot Emerson was sold too

1 minute ago, nsr said:

The Materazzi incident wasn't even the first time he went psycho and got sent off. I seem to recall him doing something similar while playing for Juve in the CL a long time ago, but nobody seems to remember that one.

Did he not also get a red for stamping on someone in the group stage in 98?

3 minutes ago, nsr said:

did it to a hamburg player , im sure it was a crazy game i think 4-3 or 4-4 or something

Archived