Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

PAY-PROD-NO-ONLINE-USE-UNTIL-AFTER-2115-BST-UK-TIME-29-09-2017-FLYNET-Exclusive-Melanie-Sykes-Filmi.jpg

Ahh good old Melanie just when we thought Thursday mornings couldn't get much better ... :) 

6 minutes ago, The Ginger Prince said:

See Rab didn’t quote TGIG’s quote when he said Liverpool were ‘absolutely brilliant’.

Poor show Mr Nesbit.

Don't worry GP ... Greenie got a wee greenie for that fair play to him. 

Mind how cringeworthy it was on here when Liverpool won the Champions League? "Us"s and "we"s thrown about like naebody's business. Cringeworthy in the extreme

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Mind how cringeworthy it was on here when Liverpool won the Champions League? "Us"s and "we"s thrown about like naebody's business. Cringeworthy in the extreme

Before my time unfortunately Gaz. 

here's what is in the offing for Monday's draw:

So there aren’t many possibilities for Chelsea in the draw then?

Correct. They know they will face Paris St-Germain, Barcelona or Besiktas – and it is fair to assume they hope to land the Turkish club, who finished top of a group that also included Porto, RB Leipzig and Monaco. Chelsea have the greatest probability (44%) of facing Barcelona, though, because Barcelona cannot be drawn against Juventus, who were in their group, Real Madrid or Sevilla.

The group winners will have it easier then?

Not necessarily. Bayern Munich, Juventus and Real Madrid finished as runners-up so they lie in wait, although Tottenham came out of Madrid’s group and so cannot play them in the last 16. The other non-English clubs that went through in second place are Basel, Sevilla, Shakhtar Donetsk and Porto.

So who can Manchester United get?

One of Bayern, Juventus, Sevilla, Shakhtar, Porto or Real Madrid.

How about Liverpool?

They will face Basel, Bayern, Juventus, Shakhtar, Porto or Real Madrid.

And Manchester City?

One of Basel, Bayern, Juventus, Sevilla, Porto or Real Madrid.

And finally Tottenham?

They can meet Basel, Bayern, Juventus, Sevilla, Shakhtar or Porto.

Hafta say, I find the whole "keeping teams from one country apart" approach a massive crock of shit - it should basically be two pots of eight (winners and runners-up) and just pick the fucking names out, one from each for each game, job done; I think it's unfair that the other English clubs are denied the opportunity to roll over Spurs when they go belly-up against whoever it happens to be - most unfair (even though it'd only be Chelsea who might benefit with the "two pots" scenario) !

8 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

here's what is in the offing for Monday's draw:

So there aren’t many possibilities for Chelsea in the draw then?

Correct. They know they will face Paris St-Germain, Barcelona or Besiktas – and it is fair to assume they hope to land the Turkish club, who finished top of a group that also included Porto, RB Leipzig and Monaco. Chelsea have the greatest probability (44%) of facing Barcelona, though, because Barcelona cannot be drawn against Juventus, who were in their group, Real Madrid or Sevilla.

The group winners will have it easier then?

Not necessarily. Bayern Munich, Juventus and Real Madrid finished as runners-up so they lie in wait, although Tottenham came out of Madrid’s group and so cannot play them in the last 16. The other non-English clubs that went through in second place are Basel, Sevilla, Shakhtar Donetsk and Porto.

So who can Manchester United get?

One of Bayern, Juventus, Sevilla, Shakhtar, Porto or Real Madrid.

How about Liverpool?

They will face Basel, Bayern, Juventus, Shakhtar, Porto or Real Madrid.

And Manchester City?

One of Basel, Bayern, Juventus, Sevilla, Porto or Real Madrid.

And finally Tottenham?

They can meet Basel, Bayern, Juventus, Sevilla, Shakhtar or Porto.

Hafta say, I find the whole "keeping teams from one country apart" approach a massive crock of shit - it should basically be two pots of eight (winners and runners-up) and just pick the fucking names out, one from each for each game, job done; I think it's unfair that the other English clubs are denied the opportunity to roll over Spurs when they go belly-up against whoever it happens to be - most unfair (even though it'd only be Chelsea who might benefit with the "two pots" scenario) !

I assume the thinking is that the longer sides from the same nations are in the competition then it increases the changes of a derby in the final e.g. Dortmund vs. Bayern, or the Real vs. Atleti finals, which are presumably more lucrative. I mean a CL final is going to rake it in either way but an established rivalry in the final/semi-final is pretty much printing money, I'd have thought.

7 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I assume the thinking is that the longer sides from the same nations are in the competition then it increases the changes of a derby in the final e.g. Dortmund vs. Bayern, or the Real vs. Atleti finals, which are presumably more lucrative. I mean a CL final is going to rake it in either way but an established rivalry in the final/semi-final is pretty much printing money, I'd have thought.

oh aye - it's bound to be down to cash, but this sort of contrivance kinda goes against the whole "luck of the draw" ethos

next step, wait for the EPL fixtures to be determined by the previous season's league positions, with the top six all playing each other over the last four weeks of the current season to ensure that every game is likely to be as "unmissable" as possible, with Stoke v Liverpool , West Brom v Chelsea and the like having been got out of the way back in November; additional pay-per-view system in place, over and above the normal subscription,  for these last few games, by any stretch of the imagination ???

Surely a derby final would get fewer viewers (with the exception of maybe Real v Barcelona) as while the people in that particular county may be more inclined to watch, it's only one country for which it's a "must see" rather than two? Anyway, agree with the general point. Make it an open draw or at the very least open by nation and group draw for the knock out stages. If they want to continue with seeding in the next round they should do it by their group performance so that teams have an incentive to win every game rather than chucking in the kids once they've qualified meaning teams in the group stages have an advantage when playing an already qualified team last.

Juventus v Spurs ... ooft 

Sevilla v Manchester United 

Porto v Liverpool 

FC Basel v Man City 

Real Madrid v PSG ... ooft 

Bayern Munich v Besiktas 

Chelsea v Barcelona ... ooft 

Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma 

Archived