54 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Pointless thread, but if it's entertaining, carry on.

I don't see anyone saying it's entertaining either.

Why post if it's pointless? Why even come in the thread if you know it won't interest you?

That seems more pointless to me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...
On 18/06/2017 at 22:02, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I think Peterhead are clear favourites. Then there's a clutch of teams who seem to have done decent business - Stenny, Stirling and Montrose. Just below them, Annan and Elgin will likely be reasonable. Clyde, Berwick, Cowden and City don't currently look very good.

Obviously could all change as there are loads of signings still to be made

I'm taking this as having called the top 4 right.

Cowden Cowboy's attempts to justify Cowden's price due to an unspectacular end of the previous season is the thread highlight.

I'm taking this as having called the top 4 right.

Cowden Cowboy's attempts to justify Cowden's price due to an unspectacular end of the previous season is the thread highlight.

Not sure there are any highlights in this thread but do tell us then what reason did the bookies use to set Cowden's price?

3 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not sure there are any highlights in this thread but do tell us then what reason did the bookies use to set Cowden's price?

Probably that some guy somewhere remembered them being in the Championship a few years ago.

Bookies seem to put a disproportionate amount of weight on size/reputation of the club, which if you're not paying that much attention, is probably as good an indicator as any. Cowden would probably have been seen as one of the 'bigger' clubs in their eyes due to spending most of the previous few seasons in a higher league.

I doubt many serious followers of L2 would have fancied Cowden over Montrose at any point of the pre-season.

They have a relatively poor knowledge of the lower leagues. If anyone has a significantly bigger budget or is full time, they're usually favourites. 
The rest are then lumped in as much of a muchness and the prices will change as the bets come in. I just found it amusing how defensive you got.

How defensive I got?? One 17 word post and that's it - suggesting why the bookies might have come up with their odds. I wasn't defending anything or even bothered about it - you are reading way too much into that post and its amusement value. And no this isn't me being defensive but it will keep you amused

They have a relatively poor knowledge of the lower leagues. If anyone has a significantly bigger budget or is full time, they're usually favourites. 

Wouldn't say so. Its hard to predict the lower leagues. Peterhead have a budget much greater than the rest and they came 2nd. Its all about the manager.

3 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Wouldn't say so. Its hard to predict the lower leagues. Peterhead have a budget much greater than the rest and they came 2nd. Its all about the manager.

Clearly there are other factors but I would bet heavily that if you looked at annual budgets vs league position in L2 over the last 10 years, you'd find a statistically undeniable correlation.

In the last 10 years, it's probably only Montrose and Albion Rovers (in 15/16) who've won the league without having the biggest or at least not too far off the biggest budget.

Archived