Prague

Kryptonite

1 hour ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

We are doing five days away in Prague and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good day trip town/city we could reach in an hour or two?

There's Karlovy Vary which I think is about two hours away by bus.

It's a quiet spa town, really nice.

Karlovy_Vary_Czech.jpg

There's also Plzen which is about an hour away and the birth place of pilsner.

1 hour ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

We are doing five days away in Prague and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good day trip town/city we could reach in an hour or two?

Plzen is about an hour and a half from Prague by train. Pilsner Urquell brewery, nice square, Cathedral and Synagogue.

On 12/01/2018 at 14:41, Ross. said:

Going to Prague on the weekend of the Champions League final with my youngest brother, who is tee-total and(Largely due to his aspergers) has a disliking of overly busy pubs. I assume most of the decent places will likely be packed when it comes to watching the game?

Also, has anyone been to the Speedway stadium there(Marketa Stadium). Looks easy enough to get to and from, just wondering if my initial thoughts are correct. Also wondering if there are any reputable boozers in that direction because I struggle to sit through the speedway while sober...

No idea but there should be quieter cafes where you can have a bottle or six while he has a coffee, juice whatever.

Edited by welshbairn

Prague 2 and Prague 8 are within walking distance of the centrum and have a lot of decent bars, there are probably half a dozen Irish bars also that will show football and the staff will all speak English but the beer will cost more. The Dubliner and Rockys are the two main ones and will be busy but there is also O'Ches

https://www.oches.com/

http://www.prague.eu/en/object/food/1753/the-james-joyce-irish-pub

https://prague.tv/en/s72/Directory/c203-Dining/n5163-J-J-Murphy-s-Irish-Bar-Prague

http://www.beckettsirishpubprague.com/

Most places tend to show major football and hockey games though, restaurants and cafes will rig up tellys , especially during the Ice Hockey world cup. 

On 19/06/2017 at 01:08, Kryptonite said:

Few of us are heading over in August (all early to mid twenties)

Mainly looking for recommendations for things to do, as well as what the weather/transport is like. 

Any shouts regarding decent nightlife & how much a pint costs also would be appreciated too.

Cheers in advance!

Cheers to you all.

You can visit:

Astronomical Clock
Old Jewish Cemetery
Museum of Decorative Arts
Prague Castle
Žižkov Tower
Charles Bridge
Veletržní Palác
Petřín Hill & Observation Tower

For Day Trips you can visit:
Výstaviště
Kutná Hora
Mělník
Karlštejn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone been to the concentration camp outside Prague? Can you use public transport to get there or do you need to go on an organised trip?

Terezin? If so, you can easy get a guided tour. Isnt overly expensive. Well worth the money anyway. Assume you can get public transport as well. IIRC its about 40 minutes away.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2018 at 09:15, ICTChris said:

My mates stag weekend is in Prague later this year, anyone got any stag recommendations, particularly for guys who are a bit too old for all this nonsense, ie me?

Go to Benidorm or some other bin where the locals won't absolutely despise you. 

My mates stag weekend is in Prague later this year, anyone got any stag recommendations, particularly for guys who are a bit too old for all this nonsense, ie me?

Just back from same stuff a couple of weeks ago. Lots of stag-do knobs abound so I’d say go low key, stay away from the tourist trap Squares and be pleasant. The locals are good fun and well used to arseholes.

I went as one of the more mature in a mid-20s rugby player’s stag do. You’ll be able to imagine most of what went on.

Lovely city. Had a great time mooching about the perimeter and the seemingly ‘authentic’ city is easily accessible. Local Gambrinus beer good enough and about £1 a pint. We used the U Templar pub as our hub but I’m sure there are many other bars around the city that’ll do the job just as well.

Will be back, probably take the wife next time.

On 3/26/2018 at 09:15, ICTChris said:

There is a sports bar a bit out the city centre that is not stag do friendly, Id recommend that if you are there without a bunch of arseholes all wearing banter tshirts and a groom in a Borat mankini 

22 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

There is a sports bar a bit out the city centre that is not stag do friendly, Id recommend that if you are there without a bunch of arseholes all wearing banter tshirts and a groom in a Borat mankini 

It's in September so I'm keen to try and get to a game, I assume their season will have started then.  

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

It's in September so I'm keen to try and get to a game, I assume their season will have started then.  

Yes, it runs from August to November, February to May, there are about a dozen teams in Prague so you will have a choice 

• 1 month later...

We are going on Friday for 4 days, going to take in Sparta Praha v Sigma Olomouc while we are there too.  

I have not been further out of Scotland than Carlisle since 2008 so will be good for something different. 

It is entirely possible to spend time in Prague without visiting a brothel or lap-dancing. 

When I stayed in Prague I used to meet guys over on stag parties all the time and they would always say, it must be great living here, cheep bear and hoorhooses every weekend.....These things are available in every major city but you chose not to, in most cases, where you live. I wouldn't say Prague is any better or worse for this kind of thing than London, or Paris. 

The city of Franz Kafka and Vaclav Havel, Milos Foreman and the velvet revolution yet it is synonymous with tits and beer.  

Edited by diegomarahenry