Prague

Kryptonite

Few of us are heading over in August (all early to mid twenties)

Mainly looking for recommendations for things to do, as well as what the weather/transport is like. 

Any shouts regarding decent nightlife & how much a pint costs also would be appreciated too.

Cheers in advance!

Was absolutely fucking roasting when I was there last September. Generally about 25-30 during the day and you'd be lucky if it dropped much below 20 at night, but I was so blootered that this didn't present much of an issue. Pints were about 40-50 Kr wherever we went and, even in the five-level club there (well worth going to) located in/beside the small strip mall type thing next to the river, a pint was about 90 Kr or £3. Harley's is a brilliant bar to go to; a place where noughties hits are churned out and dancing on the tables is actively encouraged. Throughout the day I'd say just follow locals into boozers to find the better/more authentic ones - pretty sure they drink fairly casually (and not to excess like us) over there so that should see you right. On our last night (a Saturday) there was this tourist-aimed "Drunken Monkey" bar crawl being advertised around the centre of the city which I was initially sceptical about. £20, however, got you entry to a few bars/clubs and a free alcoholic buffet of beer for an hour in a pub beforehand. Met folk from all sorts of countries throughout the night. 

As far as non-drinking activities are concerned, I'd recommend going to see the castle in particular, although it's a bit of a trek and thirsty business on a warm day. Amazing views of the city once you finally scale the hill up to it, though. Other than that, wandering around everywhere is brilliant as there's a lot of lovely architecture and cultural stuff dotted about if that's what you're into. We took in a Sparta Prague game which cost 240 Kr/£8 for a ticket in the stand behind the goal. Very, very good atmosphere, even if their stadium is a bit lacking in character. Also a bit of a trek to get there. And you must, must, do the Staropramen brewery tour. Think it costs £5 or £8 and it's so naff that it's brilliant. Get a pint at the end of it too. Again, and this is a recurring theme, a bit of a trek. With roaming charges now basically gone you should be able to navigate/look for activities or places to go much better than my lot did, though. 

I believe you can get a week-long travel card from offices in Prague for about £10. We didn't use any transport though, nor did we really need it. Would echo the advice above about taxis as some of my mates were stung by them; probably favourable to what myself and some others did, which was wander around lost for 3 hours before finally getting back to the apartment at 6am with blisters on our feet from stumbling over the cobbles. 

It's a cracking place, with something for everyone. The only word of warning I would issue is to stay in a group at night time and firmly refuse the invitations of their sex clubs' versions of PRs - usually 6'2+, obscenely intimidating African gentlemen. 

Edited by the_bully_wee

If you want a more realistic Prague pub experience take the Metro to Jiriho z Podebrad in Zizkov (Tram line no. 3 also runs through Zizkov.) and walk towards the TV tower. Pubs I've been in where you'll probably be able to get a half litre of beer for  about 25 CzK include  Hostinec U Vodoucha, U Sadu, Bukowski's, Akropolis, Malkovich,  U vystřelenýho oka (The Shot-Out Eye) and, if it's open, the Viktoria Zizkov FC social club. There's a tiny pub in that area called Pivo a Parek which translates as Beer and Sausage and that's all they sell. A half litre was less than 20CzK.

Also this guys youtube channel has loads of great tips for eating, drinking, sightseeing and avoiding rip-offs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7oj318jVQi7vRbc1bNjJA/videos

ETA...that was a CnP from a post I made in a previous Prague thread from about a year ago. Beer prices might have gone up a little since then but shouldn't be by much.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Can't imagine much I would hate more than going now but for groups of lads your age it's dreamland.

If people think the castle is a bit of a trek I seriously fear for the health of the nation.

Do they still do the pedalos under Charles bridge? that was good fun trying to drown your mates.

It's pretty much set up for groups of guys in mid 20s. You can't go wrong.

Keep your hand on your wallet in your pockets when the Roma lassies start draping over you. Don't be tempted to buy drugs on the street or take a blow job off a Roma girl. Expect to be mugged if you do.

Don't take a taxi anywhere. Trams run late but when I was first there I didn't realise until last night that they change numbers at night so thought they all stopped about 9.

The astronomical clock was no doubt the wonder of the age when it first came about but not worth hanging about to see.

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

This weird building is not too far from Charles Bridge. I might be getting it confused with another building nearby, but they had a great Communism museum (temporary) and there were nice views from the cafe at the top. 

dancing_house_prague.jpg

That site was just about the only damage sustained by bombing during WW2 (allegedly a British bomber mistook Prague for Dresden)

It's known locally as "The Dancing Building" (the bit with the square windows being the man, the glass building the woman).

The river Vltava is just to the right as we look.

6 hours ago, Kryptonite said:

Cheers for the reply boys, much appreciated.

Right now the exchange rate is sitting at £1 to 29 CzK. I really hope the shouts of 40CzK pints is correct :lol:

42-45 Czk a pint in most Czech bars in the city centre when I was there in February. Either of the 2 Lokal's, U Medvidku, U Vejvodu, U Provaznice, Pivovar Narodni are all reasonable. Dlouha is a street running from the old town square to Revolucni and has plenty of bars and restaurants on both sides of the street. T'Anker on the 5th floor of the Kotva department store is a wee bit more expensive (about 55-60 Czk), but has fantastic views of the city, especially on a sunny day.

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

This weird building is not too far from Charles Bridge. I might be getting it confused with another building nearby, but they had a great Communism museum (temporary) and there were nice views from the cafe at the top. 

dancing_house_prague.jpg

Now a hotel, owned by Liverpool an Slavia legend Vlada Smicer
http://www.dancinghousehotel.com/en/

On 6/20/2017 at 17:26, centralTon said:

U Vejvodu

Was in there last October. Although they sell excellent Pilsner Urquell for 40CzK I cannot recommend it for food. The standard of the food and the service were abysmal plus at the table they have giant pretzels hanging from a hook. There were 7 of us and when the bill arrived we had been charged for 7 of them (around 300CzK), even though he hadn't touched the fuckers. When we questioned it the guy's English suddenly disappeared and just muttered "cover charge, cover charge".

Now most places in Prague will charge you maybe 10-20 CzK cover charge per head for bread and condiments which is fair enough. When you read reviews of this place on Trip Advisor it seems they try this "charging for pretzels" business on a regular basis.

13 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Was in there last October. Although they sell excellent Pilsner Urquell for 40CzK I cannot recommend it for food. The standard of the food and the service were abysmal plus at the table they have giant pretzels hanging from a hook. There were 7 of us and when the bill arrived we had been charged for 7 of them (around 300CzK), even though he hadn't touched the fuckers. When we questioned it the guy's English suddenly disappeared and just muttered "cover charge, cover charge".

Now most places in Prague will charge you maybe 10-20 CzK cover charge per head for bread and condiments which is fair enough. When you read reviews of this place on Trip Advisor it seems they try this "charging for pretzels" business on a regular basis.

Have probably been in there 8 times in my 11 visits to Prague. Had food each time I've been in and that's never happened to us, though I have heard read reports of it happening.

Coincidentally I have also been to Prague 11 times and have eaten at U Vejvodu at least a couple of times before with no issues. We arrived there about 9:30-10:00 pm on a Sunday (flight times) and  initially went to U Medvidku but their kitchen was just closing. As you know U Vejvodu is only a couple of minutes walk away and I'd remembered eating there before (albeit quite a few years ago) so we went in and sat downstairs.

Despite being really quiet (Sunday night) the service was glacier slow and the food (I had svickova, others had goulash, pork schnitzel...all typical Czech fare) was really poor quality. As for the pretzel thing, we just paid it and didn't leave a tip, it was already well past 11pm and we just wanted to get out of there.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Coincidentally I have also been to Prague 11 times and have eaten at U Vejvodu at least a couple of times before with no issues. We arrived there about 9:30-10:00 pm on a Sunday (flight times) and  initially went to U Medvidku but their kitchen was just closing. As you know U Vejvodu is only a couple of minutes walk away and I'd remembered eating there before (albeit quite a few years ago) so we went in and sat downstairs.

Despite being really quiet (Sunday night) the service was glacier slow and the food (I had svickova, others had goulash, pork schnitzel...all typical Czech fare) was really poor quality. As for the pretzel thing, we just paid it and didn't leave a tip, it was already well past 11pm and we just wanted to get out of there.

I genuinely wasn't disputing what happened to you Arch and I have read some bad reports on the subject, we've maybe just been lucky when we've been in there. Yeah U Medvidku is just round the corner, has Tankovna Budvar the food is better than U Vejvodu. U Tri Ruzi is also round the corner on Husova.

• 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 20:38, Kryptonite said:

Few of us are heading over in August (all early to mid twenties)

Mainly looking for recommendations for things to do, as well as what the weather/transport is like. 

Any shouts regarding decent nightlife & how much a pint costs also would be appreciated too.

Cheers in advance!

Have you been yet, and if so how did you get on?

I'm heading out there with 4 other lads on Friday for the first time so all the suggestions have been great thanks everyone :thumsup2

Has anyone been to any games over there? Bohemians are playing Slavia on Friday and we're thinking of going, so any info/advice on tickets/pubs etc would be great

Probably the easiest way to explain is, If you get a 22 tram from IP Pavlova, it will take you past Bohemians ground and get off at Koh-I-Noor, takes about 20 min, all depends on where you are and where you are staying, there are other trams go that way But that one is fairly central, you should be able to get a ticket at the gate/ticket office for it. 

I was a season ticket holder at Slavia for a few years, The atmosphere at the games can be pretty good. 

There is another thread in the travel forum called Krakow v Prague that has a few decent suggestions