Failed Statelet Premier League

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done Crusaders, and to a lesser extent, Linfield. Both have a chance of progressing.

Not so well done to Ballymena, and as for Coleraine...

• 1 month later...

After 3 games Linfield, Glenavon and Coleraine are off to fliers, 9 points each. (No doubt this will be one of our "first half of the season good, second half of the season bad" seasons.) Linfield have yet to concede a goal, Glenavon are scoring goals  for fun - winning 6-1 at Ballymena yesterday, I'm surprised David Jeffrey hasn't got the defence sorted by now, that's 10 goals they've conceded in 2 home matches - and Coleraine win for the second successive Saturday, despite playing with only 10 men, and winning at Seaview for the first time in 7 years, to boot.

Glentoran have 7 points, only drawing yesterday at The Oval, could be a precious point for Carrick come the end of the season. Crusaders have 6 points, and then Cliftonville with 4.

Bottom half: Warrenpoint have 3, winning a six pointer - yes, at this early stage of the season - against Ards yesterday, then Carrick Rangers with 2, the two Uniteds - Ballinamallard and Ballymena - with 1 each and with nul points are Ards and Dungannon Swifts.

Long, long way to go yet, of course, but Linfield are going to be hard to stop. No doubt Glenavon and Coleraine will fall away once injuries and suspensions kick in, but so far so good. Crusaders aren't looking like they were according to the radio pundits yesterday, but you could hardly say they're out of it yet!

Two big games on Friday at the bottom of the table: Ards v Dungannon Swifts and Carrick Rangers v Ballinamallard United. Coleraine play Warrenpoint Town, and can't take that for granted. The other match is Glenavon - 16 goals to date - against Glentoran.

Saturday, the north Belfast derby, Cliftonville v Crusaders, and Linfield host goal leaking Ballymena United.

Although I think Linfield will win it comfertably I have a sneaky suspicioun that Coleraine will be challengers, 

The glens getting off to a good start, a few good young players this season will lift spirits as always down the oval, top 6 hopefully.

6 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Although I think Linfield will win it comfertably I have a sneaky suspicioun that Coleraine will be challengers, 

The glens getting off to a good start, a few good young players this season will lift spirits as always down the oval, top 6 hopefully.

I would have thought top 6 is a minimum for Glentoran.

12 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

,a club of that stature in this league yes it should be but finished 9th last season so it would be an achievement now ,baby steps etc..

I knew you had a bad season last time out, but top six should be a minimum. Linfield, Crusaders, Gentoran and Cliftonville should all be top 6, imo, with Coleraine, Glenavon (and Portadown when they're in the top flight!) and Ballymena fighting it out for the other two spots, with the occasional surprise package throwing a spanner in the works of the "big" teams.

Cliftonville might struggle a bit for a top 6, they are not the force they were, but will no doubt come again in a couple or three seasons.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I knew you had a bad season last time out, but top six should be a minimum. Linfield, Crusaders, Gentoran and Cliftonville should all be top 6, imo, with Coleraine, Glenavon (and Portadown when they're in the top flight!) and Ballymena fighting it out for the other two spots, with the occasional surprise package throwing a spanner in the works of the "big" teams.

Cliftonville might struggle a bit for a top 6, they are not the force they were, but will no doubt come again in a couple or three seasons.

I think the Irish league teams tend to have a few good years with a couple of dodgy ones thrown in, it's not that long ago that the Crues were struggling to impact on the league, you don't have to think too far back to remember Cliftonville being a lower club, the mid Ulster sides have a record of producing good players but again it is periodically,the Glens problems are more to do with financial mis management for many years and some pretty poor choices as manager.The IFA darlings at Windsor tend to be the only exception, a poor season for them is finishing 3rd ffs.

52 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

I think the Irish league teams tend to have a few good years with a couple of dodgy ones thrown in, it's not that long ago that the Crues were struggling to impact on the league, you don't have to think too far back to remember Cliftonville being a lower club, the mid Ulster sides have a record of producing good players but again it is periodically,the Glens problems are more to do with financial mis management for many years and some pretty poor choices as manager.The IFA darlings at Windsor tend to be the only exception, a poor season for them is finishing 3rd ffs.

You're right about the Crues and the Reds, but currently they would be part of the big 3/4. Back in the day (1970s - 80s, when I was a regular) it was Linfield, Glentoran and then the rest of us, with 1 or 2 teams putting in a challenge, winning a cup now and again. Then Ronnie Mcfall transformed Portadown.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're right about the Crues and the Reds, but currently they would be part of the big 3/4. Back in the day (1970s - 80s, when I was a regular) it was Linfield, Glentoran and then the rest of us, with 1 or 2 teams putting in a challenge, winning a cup now and again. Then Ronnie Mcfall transformed Portadown.

Roy walker had a good Crues team when I landed on planet NI , a real Bible basher if I remember correctly, healthy dose of the  Old Testament was part of the training, Coleraine were decent too, Marty Quinn was manager then I think ,the Glens were iffy , Tommy Cassidy was in charge.

2 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Roy walker had a good Crues team when I landed on planet NI , a real Bible basher if I remember correctly, healthy dose of the  Old Testament was part of the training, Coleraine were decent too, Marty Quinn was manager then I think ,the Glens were iffy , Tommy Cassidy was in charge.

Jim Platt had a good Coleraine side in the 80s, lost his way towards the end, should have won the league at least once. Marty Quinn turned things round whenever he came in, 1 Irish Cup win was scant reward for his efforts.

Archived