Belgium

senorsoupe

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'll probably complete my shopping for 2 kilos of Drum tobacco in the first 10 minutes of arrival. The rest of the time I intend to waste like you, although the walking into town might do me some good.

Just mind and pace yourself. Average ABV on the beers there was easily 7.5 to 8 %. Fair to say it felt like it too.

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'll probably complete my shopping for 2 kilos of Drum tobacco in the first 10 minutes of arrival. The rest of the time I intend to waste like you, although the walking into town might do me some good.

20 hours ago, Ross. said:

Just mind and pace yourself. Average ABV on the beers there was easily 7.5 to 8 %. Fair to say it felt like it too.

I like Antwerp used to head down there to avoid Queensday when I lived in the centre of Amsterdam.

I really like the little bar in the shadow of the cathedral called Paters Vaetje if you can get a seat outside its a great spot to watch the world go by, as mentioned watch out the Belgian beer can kick your arse.

If you decide to have some chips don't go with the mayo option go for stoofvlees sauce, its a rich Belgian stew gravy it's good.

1 minute ago, stevieKTID said:

I like Antwerp used to head down there to avoid Queensday when I lived in the centre of Amsterdam.

I really like the little bar in the shadow of the cathedral called Paters Vaetje if you can get a seat outside its a great spot to watch the world go by, as mentioned watch out the Belgian beer can kick your arse.

If you decide to have some chips don't go with the mayo option go for stoofvlees sauce, its a rich Belgian stew gravy it's good.

Will do. Surprised to see the train from Schiphol only takes an hour.

3 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

That's a nice wee boozer. There's one just along from there called Elfde Gebod, which is decorated like an old church and is full of religious art and statues. It's a bit of a tourist trap but the food and beer was pretty good. 

One thing I love about Antwerp is the refreshing lack of stag night type tourists, which is surprising given that it's such a good place for a piss  up.

54 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

That's a nice wee boozer. There's one just along from there called Elfde Gebod, which is decorated like an old church and is full of religious art and statues. It's a bit of a tourist trap but the food and beer was pretty good. 

One thing I love about Antwerp is the refreshing lack of stag night type tourists, which is surprising given that it's such a good place for a piss  up.

Elfde Gebod ( 11th commandement in english ) is a good shout! 

Antwerp is class. Last time I was there we went into a bar called Beer Centraal which had this massive book full of beers. Anyway, I went sensible and stuck to the 5-6% stuff, my wife on the other hand was tearing into the 10-11% stuff. 

Safe to say, she lost her cool and we argued all the way back to the hotel with her waking up in the morning none the wiser :lol:  

35 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Antwerp is class. Last time I was there we went into a bar called Beer Centraal which had this massive book full of beers. Anyway, I went sensible and stuck to the 5-6% stuff, my wife on the other hand was tearing into the 10-11% stuff. 

Safe to say, she lost her cool and we argued all the way back to the hotel with her waking up in the morning none the wiser :lol:  

Is that the place just down from the station and the diamond district? If it's the place i'm thinking of the beer menu was about the size of a telephone directory.:lol:

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

Antwerp is great, Brugge is very nice for a day trip, Brussels is a hole.

I was thinking of Brugge remembering the film, but Antwerp is so easy to get to from Inverness, direct flight to Schiphol then an hour on the train. 

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I was thinking of Brugge remembering the film, but Antwerp is so easy to get to from Inverness, direct flight to Schiphol then an hour on the train. 

You can get a train from Antwerp to Brugge no bother.

I'd add in Ghent also, I thought was just as nice as Brugge. Never been to Antwerp to compare, although I have  a huge dislike for it as the traffic is always a nightmare when driving through, as its a bottleneck from a number of roads from Belgium into Holland

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

I'd add in Ghent also, I thought was just as nice as Brugge. Never been to Antwerp to compare, although I have  a huge dislike for it as the traffic is always a nightmare when driving through, as its a bottleneck from a number of roads from Belgium into Holland

Ghent is nice.  I really enjoyed it when I was there.  Brasserie Pakhuis in particular is a highlight as a restaurant

https://www.pakhuis.be/en/

Archived