Your accent

Kejan

Irish, my old boss looked quite confused when I answered her question 'What are you doing for St Patrick's day?' with a flat - Nothing, couldn't care less about it. I've also had Newfoundland and PEI, which is a little more understandable and I really don't mind.

My mother in law is constantly telling me I don't sound Scottish, perhaps due to my fairly neutral accent that a lot of people in Inverkeithing seem to have

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gingette said:

Yeah it was when I was in the states last summer.

That explains it, lol!  What part of the States where you in?  There are some parts of the US where we Canadians are almost mythical creatures.

1 hour ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Have been asked the following by Americans 'do you guys have the internet?' 'do you guys have buffets?'.
They also label themselves as 'Scotch Irish' which outside my travels in america ive never heard of before. They seem very quick to tell you theyre uncle was Scotch irish and ask if you know him.

Locally known as Hillbillys I believe.

At some point on my travels I've been called German, Polish, Australian, French and English and a few more.
Irish is the most common mistake. Scotland has no real identity it's not really surprising people go there first with that Gaelic type accent.

The only time people were disparaging of my accent was in London where more than a few English people think Scotland was a violent, barren wasteland, and I had made an arduous Frodo Baggins type journey to escape to civilisation to steal English jobs.
c***s.

Irish, Canadian, Russian, Finnish.

Mistaken for German in Germany by a group of English women when I told them the price of something when they couldn't see it (the big sign with the price on it was a major clue!). Heard them commenting "she speaks better English than us".

Have been asked the following by Americans 'do you guys have the internet?' 'do you guys have buffets?'.
They also label themselves as 'Scotch Irish' which outside my travels in america ive never heard of before. They seem very quick to tell you theyre uncle was Scotch irish and ask if you know him.

Scots Irish..... According to wiki that's actually Ulster Scots... as opposed to Scottish or Irish...
I've heard the term a lot in movies

I've had the opposite problem, can't escape the Kilmarnock accent.

In Glasgow (!!) for a night out with an Irish friend and a Czech one. Talking to some (Scottish) people outside and one of them said:

"Oh my God... are you from The Scheme?!"

I've had the opposite problem, can't escape the Kilmarnock accent.
In Glasgow (!!) for a night out with an Irish friend and a Czech one. Talking to some (Scottish) people outside and one of them said:

"Oh my God... are you from The Scheme?!"

^^^ Looks like Marvin.

I think I've only ever been mistaken for English, and even then only in a "they can't tell the difference between British accents" sort of way.

I have quite a region-neutral middle-class Scottish accent though, so there's not really much scope for mistakes.

I absolutely resent any suggestion that as Scottish I am in anyway connected or associated with Ireland. It really really really grinds my gears when Americans etc ask if im Irish.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. I send love from Dublin. [emoji172][emoji172][emoji172][emoji172]

Irish, Canadian, Russian, Finnish.
Mistaken for German in Germany by a group of English women when I told them the price of something when they couldn't see it (the big sign with the price on it was a major clue!). Heard them commenting "she speaks better English than us".

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

On 21 June 2017 at 17:21, kilbowie2002 said:

Archived