Your accent

Kejan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get...

London c**t when in Hereford

Hereford c**t when not in London

In Boston everyone thought I was Irish (ironic) 

I've had someone think I was Australian (the worst) but I can't remember where that was.

My accent is a weird mixture of West Country/Brummie and Cockney. 

Mostly Irish and German. 

One of they beach salesman in the Dominican started talking to me and when I replied in English he went "oh you're German I speak German as well."

On 04/07/2017 at 13:46, Gunz said:

Mostly Irish and German. 

One of they beach salesman in the Dominican started talking to me and when I replied in English he went "oh you're German I speak German as well."

Why didn't he say - "Oh, sie sind Deutsche Ich spreche auch Deutsch?"

• 4 weeks later...

Polish in Czech Republic

German and Russian when I was in Egypt - German by the hotel staff when we arrived and then Russian by some English twat I held a door for him and he said to his wife, that's a first a Russian with manners.

In Hollywood studios at Disney I stopped one of the Cast Members to ask for directions - Español???? Portuguesa????  he look utterly bemused as this pasty white Scotsman tried to explain I was speaking English . 

Most people that aren't from Scotland tend to comment on how fast I talk, got a few friends out in Cyprus and if I get chatting to another scot they genuinely believe we speak a different language.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 22:09, Kejan said:

What nationalities have you been mistaken for when abroad?

I often get Irish and even strangely enough from Irish people - mostly southern Irish think I'm from the failed statelet - but a Dundalk man which is right on the border thought I was from Newry! I sound like Christian Dailly aka polite Dundonian, so I have no idea why even Irish people think this sounds Irish.

It works both ways though, my Irish friend is often mistaken for English because his accent is non-existent and diluted.

Of course had the British/English thing too ; but strangely had South African more than once and most Yanks seem to either think Ireland or Australia - think its if you speak English with a non Hugh Grant accent you can't be from Britain.

Thank f**k I've never been mistaken for north England though.

Also, had a Portuguese man think I was Russia due to the R pronoun cation.

If you don't talk like the Queen, I have trouble placing which type of English speaking white foreigner your are right away. I have to go through in my head a list of famous people from Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, English who don't talk like the Queen, and try and see which one lines up the best. I can't process it in an instant like I can US or Canadian accents. I use Sean Connery for Scotland.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 17:57, John Lambies Doos said:

Scots Irish..... According to wiki that's actually Ulster Scots... as opposed to Scottish or Irish...
I've heard the term a lot in movies

I think it's because before you guys stole their potatoes and the Irish Irish came, the northern Ireland people were just called the Irish. Then half of Ireland moved here and the original Irish weren't very keen to claim the newcomers.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not surprised at the amount of Scottish people who have been mistaken for something else by English people. I'm guessing if you don't have a weegie accent, then they'll think you are something else. In America, it seems if you don't speak like Groundskeeper Willie, then they'll have no idea either.

They are almost as bad as the Americans for not having a clue about accents. I spoke to a English guy for about 20 minutes once, and then he pops up with ''what eastern European country are you from? You speak very well'' 

I wonder what they think when they hear south Welsh accents. ''Are you an Anglo-Indian by say?"

7 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Not surprised at the amount of Scottish people who have been mistaken for something else by English people. I'm guessing if you don't have a weegie accent, then they'll think you are something else. In America, it seems if you don't speak like Groundskeeper Willie, then they'll have no idea either.

They are almost as bad as the Americans for not having a clue about accents. I spoke to a English guy for about 20 minutes once, and then he pops up with ''what eastern European country are you from? You speak very well'' 

I wonder what they think when they hear south Welsh accents. ''Are you an Anglo-Indian by say?"

Have to admit thinking a couple of shop girls in Peterhead were talking Polish to each other when I was waiting to be served. Just strong Doric.

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2018 at 10:03, TheScarf said:

Irish.  From a Glaswegian I was speaking to in a pub no less.

Ex of mine was a very middle class girl from Coleraine. Her accent sounded "generic northern Scotland but cannot say quite where", which I always found odd. There were only a few words and terms you could use to identify where she was from originally but most folk she spoke to tended to assume she was Scottish.

20 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Ex of mine was a very middle class girl from Coleraine. Her accent sounded "generic northern Scotland but cannot say quite where", which I always found odd. There were only a few words and terms you could use to identify where she was from originally but most folk she spoke to tended to assume she was Scottish.

The north coast of NI seems to have a lot of Scottish in the accent - by the same token though a broad Stranraer accent has got more than a whiff of the failed statelet about it.

Weirdest one my accent's been taken for happened in America of course. I was talking to a mate of mine in a shop - might have been one of the Carolinas we were in - and one of the assistants asked us:

"Wow, I love your voices - what language is it you're speaking?"

"Errrm...English."

"Oh, thought you might be French..."

Chances are France was the only foreign country she'd actually heard of, though.

It was America.

Having a beer while waiting at Frankfurt Airport a few weeks ago, the barman thought I was American. 

While my accent has moved away from Dundonian to, er, less Dundonian over the years, I'm not sure it's gone that far. 

Archived