Proposed football rule changes

Fuctifano

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ball almost always ends up in the net when an attacker rounds the goalkeeper and there's no-one else between them and the goal. 'Probable' is definitely good enough for me.
And besides, a higher proportion of those moments end in goals than penalties do, so it's fairer than giving a penalty. 

I think for a deliberate foul I'd like that. If it's accidental I'd still want a penalty.

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

ive seen this before too.think it was Italian football,every time there was a stoppage some infuriating advert of horses running.or maybe that was blade runner.

I'm not sure these proposed changes have been particularly well thought out-I read the clock would stop,for example,when the ref asks a player whos down if he needs treatment,if that's the proposal it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a team looking to timewaste will just have guys dropping like flies as far from the ref as they can manage

They definitely had that in Italy in the late 1990's - I remember watching a Champions League match on Mediaset where every time there was a corner or goal kick and it looked like there was going to be a slight delay in restarting (due to the ballboy retrieving the ball, a sub getting made, etc) there'd be a short 10-15 second advert.

I'm torn on how to stop encroachment on penalties. Taking it to the extreme it would be unfair to have a defender or attacker more or less level to the penalty taker at the time the ball is struck; at the same time, is it reasonable/practicable to expect the officials to enforce enroachment or retakes where pretty much every outfield player is trying to get to a possible loose ball first and its extremely marginal/unclear which side has encroached first, if at all?

I'm with hibeejibee that you don't want to be too punitive either way - id be interested to get the referees perspective on it. Are they given a lot of discretion to pretty much ignore the letter of the law on it?

I'm not convinced by claims that the ball is in play for 60 mins out of the 90, I'd say less than that. Sad as f**k, but I just spent 15 mins watching the last part of the Rangers v Celtic Hogmanay game with a stopwatch out. From 80:00 to 94:00 the ball was in play for just 4 minutes and 40 seconds. Obviously this is worst case scenario as Celtic were timewasting in the extreme, but if that was to happen over a whole match, you'd be looking at roughly 30 mins of actual football in the 90.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWowGKyQe8c

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 01:03, GordonS said:

I don't know why people think the timing thing suits TV. Just now they have a very good idea of when a match will end and can schedule accordingly; keeping count of game time would lead to much bigger variations in when matches end, as has happened in rugby. The France v Wales 6 Nations match this year went on so long they had to delay kick-off in the Ireland v England match following it.

It's not an idea I much like, but stopping the clock for injuries, subs and goals would take the sting out of timewasting and be fairer. And if they're doing it they should definitely connect it to stadium clocks.

Whether things are applicable at lower levels doesn't bother me. In the Junior league cup early rounds they don't even have linesmen. I watch a lot of rugby and it doesn't seem to cause any problems that non-professional levels don't have access to video replays, etc. Same happens in tennis with Hawkeye too.

I've always been in favour of penalty goals, not just for handball, but for any time a goal would probably have been scored. I've seen players taken down outside the box by the goalie, with no defender behind them, denying a near certain goal and it not even leading to a penalty. It works pretty well in rugby and I think it would be no more controversial in football than any other refereeing decision.

Taking free-kicks to yourself - imagine that this had always been allowed and we were debating preventing it. That would be mad, we'd see it as creating an incentive to foul. I'm in favour of it, I don't think it would make a massive difference in practice but I think we'd see a lot of tap-and-go free kicks, speeding the game up a little where it suits the team that have been fouled.

Goal kicks should be taken from whatever side is closer for the goalkeeper.

I can think of a couple of teams who, if a penalty goal were awarded against, there would be extreme controversy...

16 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

I'm not convinced by claims that the ball is in play for 60 mins out of the 90, I'd say less than that. Sad as f**k, but I just spent 15 mins watching the last part of the Rangers v Celtic Hogmanay game with a stopwatch out. From 80:00 to 94:00 the ball was in play for just 4 minutes and 40 seconds. Obviously this is worst case scenario as Celtic were timewasting in the extreme, but if that was to happen over a whole match, you'd be looking at roughly 30 mins of actual football in the 90.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWowGKyQe8c

This is from 2012 but can't imagine it's changed dramatically

Capture.PNG

A fairly minor point that came to me since ive not seen anything about it - presumably extra time in cup matches would either reduce from 15 mins per half of ET as well or be scrapped outright for pens by most associations? Keeping 30 mins total extra time if matches last, theoretically, for 60 of in-play mins would be a bit much, and if you're reducing the amount of extra time (even to say 10 mins per half) then it strikes me as being more efficient to just skip to pens, plus it does away with the usual away goals counting double in second leg extra time complaints you hear...

Encroachment is a simple one to solve. Everyone else starts on the halfway line and can run when the whistle is blown. If the forward hasn't hit the ball by the time someone reaches the box, they can be tackled. Would then mean you would have to be a total dick to not get the shot away.

I see they've been trialling the Video Assistant Referees in the Confederations Cup.

It's been, unsurprisingly, an absolute shambles :lol:

I'd like to see the advantage law modified to allow play to proceed, but, if no advantage accrues, the game can be brought back for the free kick, regardless of how much time has passed in that phase of play.

On 6/23/2017 at 14:56, Ross. said:

Encroachment is a simple one to solve. Everyone else starts on the halfway line and can run when the whistle is blown. If the forward hasn't hit the ball by the time someone reaches the box, they can be tackled. Would then mean you would have to be a total dick to not get the shot away.

Yeah the easiest solution to me is just to move the players back. Maybe not the half way line but somewhere they'll have no chance encroaching when the kick is taken.

10 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I'd like to see the advantage law modified to allow play to proceed, but, if no advantage accrues, the game can be brought back for the free kick, regardless of how much time has passed in that phase of play.

I like this too. Kinda rugby penalty advantage but with with free kicks. However this one would be harder to implement. It would really vary in usefulness depending on where the free kick is from. No point letting play go on for 30 seconds to pull it back for a trip in your own half.

28 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I like this too. Kinda rugby penalty advantage but with with free kicks. However this one would be harder to implement. It would really vary in usefulness depending on where the free kick is from. No point letting play go on for 30 seconds to pull it back for a trip in your own half.

The innocent team would regain possession.

Played in a 6 aside tournament at the weekend. The knock out games towards the end that finished a draw went to penalties, but instead of the usual 5 each then sudden death, it went straight to sudden death. Rattled the pressure right up straight away.

Archived