Proposed football rule changes

Fuctifano

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

Some selected highlights below- the main other part is the addition of a play clock and 30 minute halves. Games could last forever. I've been in favour of the handball on the line = goal rule for a while now but think most of these will quietly fall by the wayside. Being able to take corners & FKs to yourself is a nice nod to playground football.

• passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick
    • a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch
    • allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving
    • a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on
    • a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball
    • a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card
    • a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty
    • the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line
    • referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play
    • a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With that many proposed changes, I thought I'd have an issue with a lot more than that. Taking free kicks and stuff to yourself seems a bit on the silly side, but I'm not sure I can really think of much of an argument against it either.

20 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Personally I like the concept of real playing time. I've seen it happen in other sports and feel its a definite improvement. 

Same here. It takes away the subjectivity of the amount of time to be added on. Right now you see referees award 4 minutes stoppage time, where the ball will be out of play for half of it and the game will still end bang on 94. Timewasting definitely pays off with the way things are currently in football.

I think this kind of 'game clock' rule would probably work better when combined with the game only being allowed to end with the ball out of play (although not with a foul). 

You'd maybe need to reduce the game time to 80 minutes as well if you wanted to maintain the current time actually spent on the pitch, as I'd say the ball is out of play for a good 10+ minutes in the average game.

ETA - just clicked on the actual article and saw they're proposing 60 minute games. It seems mad that a third of the game sees the ball actually out of play, but fair enough if someone has actually studied it.

3 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

With that many proposed changes, I thought I'd have an issue with a lot more than that. Taking free kicks and stuff to yourself seems a bit on the silly side, but I'm not sure I can really think of much of an argument against it either.

This is where it gets interesting. One of the proposals would allow being able to dribble straight from a free-kick to "encourage attacking play as the player who is fouled can stop the ball and then immediately continue their dribble/attacking move".

More trouble than it's worth imo

Not at all a fan of a real time clock replacing 90 minutes. Rule changes should as far as possible be applicable throughout the game... so how accurately is this going to be kept in the lower levels where only the ref is officiating - or conveyed to supporters in levels without screens and scoreboards? I'd be disappointed if this replaced 90 minutes and stoppage time.

Other than that the ideas generally seem reasonable. Equivalent of 'tap and go' seems OK but maybe restrict it to cases where you can take things quickly (i.e. not free kicks where a booking is being given - or corners). Play the ball when it's moving seems OK. Only blowing for HT or FT would avoid controversies but nowadays barely any refs blows-up other than when the ball's in a 'neutral' situation, indeed many only blow as it's crossing halfway.

Could the penalty-taker "follow-up"? If not, favours defending team, IMO.

Taking the goal-kick on the side it's gone out would be consistent with the policy for corners. However, we used to have a 'keeper who kicked from the middle, running out of his net...

Some selected highlights below- the main other part is the addition of a play clock and 30 minute halves. Games could last forever. I've been in favour of the handball on the line = goal rule for a while now but think most of these will quietly fall by the wayside. Being able to take corners & FKs to yourself is a nice nod to playground football.
  •  
    • passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick
    • a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch
    • allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving
    • a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on
    • a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball
    • a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card
    • a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty
    • the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line
    • referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play
    • a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area

Turning our game into American Football. Can just imagine teams wasting even more time holding onto the ball as they know exactly how long to hold onto it then kick it straight into touch to finish the game.

Seen this in recent years in Rugby Union and absolutely hate the way those games end.

As someone said, perfectly set up for a stop start game with adverts in between.

Absolutely atrocious ideas that need to be stopped.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

ETA - For any rules changes to come in there should be an agreement that X % of fans worldwide agree to them. Clubs, in countries organised enough to do this, should write to season ticket holders with suggested changes and a simply Yes/No next to each option. Perhaps not even every club just one per division or something.

I know that they don't care about fans but they really should, It is the viewers (either at the game or watching on tv) who pay the bills.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

ETA - For any rules changes to come in there should be an agreement that X % of fans worldwide agree to them. Clubs, in countries organised enough to do this, should write to season ticket holders with suggested changes and a simply Yes/No next to each option. Perhaps not even every club just one per division or something.

I know that they don't care about fans but they really should, It is the viewers (either at the game or watching on tv) who pay the bills.

I'd say some of these proposals are set up for armchair viewers. Hammer them with ad breaks etc etc...

15 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Can't quote the bullet points for some reason, but pretty much all of that can get directly into the fucking sea. Leave the game the f**k alone. 

I think HJs point is good about replication at all levels is great. Fair enough if you're watching Barcelona vs Madrid on sky and there's a clock saying 60 seconds of playing time left, but what if it's a junior game or something? 

I guess similar must apply in rugby, but with the video ref and now this it seems football wants to head in that direction. 

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I think HJs point is good about replication at all levels is great. Fair enough if you're watching Barcelona vs Madrid on sky and there's a clock saying 60 seconds of playing time left, but what if it's a junior game or something? 

It's the same with a lot of things that are already in sport though. For example there is only a forth official at higher levels of the game, goal line technology etc. Same in rugby, as you go down the levels I guess they don't use a video ref, hawk eye in tennis I presume is only in use at the top professional levels etc. 

I presume this would be the same and lower levels would just keep the current system? 

Interesting ideas and certainly worth a trail to see how they work in practice I reckon. 

16 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

On the penalty one at the bottom. I do have one problem with that. They could try actually enforcing the laws that are available to them.

hit the nail on the head-they have laws in place,the refs don't enforce them as it is,what do they thinks going to happen with the new ones?

Archived