European draws

wastecoatwilly

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Currently watching FK Trakai playing a league match, they're winning 2-0 at half time. They look ok but the opposition look piss poor. Hard to tell how Saints will get on against them.

Oh and we'll outnumber them over there in the crowdwank. 

Lithuanian football seems to be a mess. I'm sure they had a 10 team A Lyga a couple of years ago, before having to move to 8 because everyone was going bust and they didn't have enough teams ready to compete in the top league.

Trakai get better attendances when playing in their own ground (obviously) - 650 average in Trakai compared with 195 in Vilnius this season. No idea why they seem to play about half their home games away from home. But either way, a 650 average is proper diddy level anyway. Saints will be fine.

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Lithuanian football seems to be a mess. I'm sure they had a 10 team A Lyga a couple of years ago, before having to move to 8 because everyone was going bust and they didn't have enough teams ready to compete in the top league.

Trakai get better attendances when playing in their own ground (obviously) - 650 average in Trakai compared with 195 in Vilnius this season. No idea why they seem to play about half their home games away from home. But either way, a 650 average is proper diddy level anyway. Saints will be fine.

They aren't that bad at football though, some very decent players from what I've seen. Whether they get the time and space that they are afforded in A Lyga is another matter and you'd hope Saints are organized enough to cancel out the quick attacking game they have success with. I just think this is a potential banana skin this early in our season, fingers crossed its not obviously.

Crowd size means absolutely nothing

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Crowd size means absolutely nothing

Having no fans and therefore selling very few tickets will impact on their budget, so it does mean something. How much they're bankrolled by other means nobody over here really knows, but crowd size doesn't mean absolutely nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I've said on the other thread rangers fans have absolutely no idea how many years it'll take to build up their european record. 

for sure beat progres and AEL but they could then have drawn AC Milan/Everton in R3 and either of them plus say Ajax/PSV in R4.

Europe is stacked so heavily against the minnows of which rangers are the minnow-ist

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:29, GeeJay said:

Terrible draws for all Scottish teams. Difficult to see St Johnstone or Aberdeen progressing past QR1 and QR2 respectively, Rangers might be able to get past the Luxembourg side but will get battered in Cyprus. Celtic will beat Linfield but I'm predicting will be the only Scottish team left in Europe come end of July.

Since we're bumping prior predictions - nice to know we'll get at least one match in August   (hopefully not involving being "battered in Cyprus" though).

Edited by tarapoa

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Since we're bumping prior predictions - nice to know we'll get at least one match in August   (hopefully not involving being "battered in Cyprus" though).

No complaints from me, I'm pleased for Aberdeen. A 2-0 win or better this week and the playoff round could be a possibility, long way to go though and I would still expect Apollon to get through.

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 20:00, thepundit said:

I think, realistically, that's about as far as any the 3 teams could go. It would be incredibly difficult for St Johnstone and Rangers in particular as only 6 teams out of 576 have ever made it to the groups from the first round. 

From a Rangers perspective, ideally they'd get to at least the 3rd round with hopefully some big crowds at Ibrox for the money.

This year a fantastic 3 teams out of the 100 teams that entered in round 1 of the Europa league draw have made the competition proper

One of those was the top seeds in round 1 Maccabi Tel-Aviv , with the other two being Red Star Belgrade and Albanian team Skënderbeu Korçë  who have beaten seeding teams in round 3 and the play offs.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It's that time again for the draw Celtic v Alashkert fc
Group 9 Group 2 
seeded: NK Domzale, Gabala FK, Dinamo Tbilisi, Glasgow Rangers, Apollon Limassol 
unseeded: Progrès Niederkorn, Siroki Brijeg, FK Shkupi, Stumbras Kaunas, DAC Dunajska Streda

seeded: Rudar Velenje, Dundalk, Hibernian, Sarpsborg 08, BK Häcken, FC København 
unseeded: Levadia Tallinn, IBV Vestmannaeyjar, KuPS Kuopio, FK Liepaja, Bala Town*, NSI Runavik

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's that time again for the draw Celtic v Alashkert fc
Group 9 Group 2 
seeded: NK Domzale, Gabala FK, Dinamo Tbilisi, Glasgow Rangers, Apollon Limassol 
unseeded: Progrès Niederkorn, Siroki Brijeg, FK Shkupi, Stumbras Kaunas, DAC Dunajska Streda

seeded: Rudar Velenje, Dundalk, Hibernian, Sarpsborg 08, BK Häcken, FC København 
unseeded: Levadia Tallinn, IBV Vestmannaeyjar, KuPS Kuopio, FK Liepaja, Bala Town*, NSI Runavik

Lightning to strike twice?

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I want rid of these qualifiers so hoping the Scottish teams do a bit better this season.

Need to do a bit better for the next few seasons to avoid these qualifiers. Though if Celtic can get to UCL groups again (or even the UEL groups and get a few wins), plus Rangers/Hibs can make progress to QR2 then we should have more coefficient points than last year. Any teams getting results in UEL QR3 would be a bonus.

9 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Need to do a bit better for the next few seasons to avoid these qualifiers. Though if Celtic can get to UCL groups again (or even the UEL groups and get a few wins), plus Rangers/Hibs can make progress to QR2 then we should have more coefficient points than last year. Any teams getting results in UEL QR3 would be a bonus.

A tough road but I feel that Scottish football could be at the start of an upward trajectory.

Edited by The_Judge