European draws

wastecoatwilly

It barely makes any difference these days... Only from 15th do none of your clubs have to play in QR1; only from 17th does only 1 club. Those will be the same after adjustments next season.

For some context:

- when they introduced groups into the UEFA Cup no-one qualified automatically and no-one dropped in from CL. There were accordingly 80 clubs in UC R1 and the 40 winners went into the groups.

- despite there being 48 slots in EL groups instead of 40, an increase of 8, currently 10 clubs qualify automatically and 16 drop in from CL; only 44 clubs play in QR4 and the 22 winners go into the groups.

- from next season 17 clubs qualify automatically and 18 drop in from CL; only 26 clubs will play in QR4 and the 13 winners go into the groups.

It's now an elite's cartel, almost entirely.

Edited by HibeeJibee

If you look at countries like Norway in the 15-16 season winning 19 games
last year Denmark 18 wins
Austria 18 wins
Israel 16 wins
Cyprus 15 wins 
Scotland should be on a par with these countries.

If Celtic didn't sign the best players from the other Scottish teams playing in Europe then maybe we'd have a better chance.

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If you look at countries like Norway in the 15-16 season winning 19 games
last year Denmark 18 wins
Austria 18 wins
Israel 16 wins
Cyprus 15 wins 
Scotland should be on a par with these countries.

It's just not realistic to expect that when we've only got 4 clubs, and they're unseeded after the opening EL stages. You can only build up gradually. Switzerland had 5 teams and only won 6 games. Poland won 5. Romania with 5 clubs won 5.

We're only ranked just behind Israel, btw.

Incidentally, you only won 3 of 12 games last season (25%) including losing to some Gibraltar part-timers... In contrast Aberdeen won 3 of 6 (50%), Hearts won 2 of 4 (50%), Hibs won 1 of 2 (50%).

Edited by HibeeJibee

The Euro-veterans (Dons and Saints) should be looking to get to QR3 as they are seeded in the rounds before. Depending on the draw, Rangers could easily emulate what Aberdeen have done in the past three seasons and get through QR2 unseeded.

From then onwards it gets very tough. Seeded teams in QR3 include Zenit, Bilbao, Fenerbache, AC Milan, PSV, Braga, Bordeaux, Everton, Marseille, Freiburg and Panathinaikos. A few glamour ties with the hope of catching a team entering at this stage cold but I'd be very surprised to see a Scottish side reach the play-offs, never mind the groups, unfortunately.

36 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's just not realistic to expect that when we've only got 4 clubs, and they're unseeded after the opening EL stages. You can only build up gradually. Switzerland had 5 teams and only won 6 games. Poland won 5. Romania with 5 clubs won 5.

We're only ranked just behind Israel, btw.

Incidentally, you only won 3 of 12 games last season (25%) including losing to some Gibraltar part-timers... In contrast Aberdeen won 3 of 6 (50%), Hearts won 2 of 4 (505), Hibs won 1 of 2 (50%).

All the countries i have listed above have only got 4 clubs in European competition plus they all have seeded and unseeded teams
I have no interest in the % from last year the 4 clubs go in together as one association every team has bad results

19th
Scotland 4 teams
  9 3 6 0 3 3 4 17.5 4.375
43 Celtic CL 3 1 2 0 3 3 4 10.5  
93 Aberdeen EL 3 1 2 0 0 0 0 3.5  
105 Hearts  EL 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 2.5  
140 Hibernian EL 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1.0
Edited by wastecoatwilly

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We should have made the playoff the year we went out to Minsk-but badly missed out on the luck element, losing a home game we absolutely dominated having beaten them in Belarus before losing a penalty shoot out. I'm pretty sure we only ended up with such a pish opponent that season because they'd maybe unexpectedly beaten someone decent in QR2? We certainly weren't seeded for it.

Originally you weren't, but because you beat Rosenborg the round before, you took their status as a seed.

Minsk had won the previous round against Valletta. They were the unseeded team.

Edited by Nightmare

7 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

If Celtic didn't sign the best players from the other Scottish teams playing in Europe then maybe we'd have a better chance.

I saw on the news that they had signed that ex-Inverness player from you?  How do you think Shinnie Storey Tansey Hayes will get on there?

Originally you weren't, but because you beat Rosenborg the round before, you took their status as a seed.
Minsk had won the previous round against Valletta. They were the unseeded team.

f**k sake, you're quite right! My excuse is I don't remember the Rosenborg game because, having travelled all the way from Perth to Trondheim, I got blind drunk, passed out and missed the game...

I saw on the news that they had signed that ex-Inverness player from you?  How do you think Shinnie Storey Tansey Hayes will get on there?

You won't find many Aberdeen fans complaining that Inverness are damaging the Scottish coefficient though.

57 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

f**k sake, you're quite right! My excuse is I don't remember the Rosenborg game because, having travelled all the way from Perth to Trondheim, I got blind drunk, passed out and missed the game...

A glorious tale that makes me laugh every time someone posts it.

Thank god for the cup final that season, eh? :lol:

A glorious tale that makes me laugh every time someone posts it.
Thank god for the cup final that season, eh? :lol:

I made the conscious decision to be designated driver on cup final day, which turned out to be a great call.