European draws

wastecoatwilly

Love it when folk take a look at the name and judge without knowing anything about them. Happens every year :lol:. Tough tie for the sheep whichever team gets through. Would like every Scottish team through, even them, but knowing the calibre of teams St Johnstone have faced these last few years it's always going to be tough.

Terrible draws for all Scottish teams. Difficult to see St Johnstone or Aberdeen progressing past QR1 and QR2 respectively, Rangers might be able to get past the Luxembourg side but will get battered in Cyprus. Celtic will beat Linfield but I'm predicting will be the only Scottish team left in Europe come end of July.

Guest Bob Mahelp
40 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Terrible draws for all Scottish teams. Difficult to see St Johnstone or Aberdeen progressing past QR1 and QR2 respectively, Rangers might be able to get past the Luxembourg side but will get battered in Cyprus. Celtic will beat Linfield but I'm predicting will be the only Scottish team left in Europe come end of July.

Based on what, exactly ?

40 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

All the draws are tricky but are all defo winnable.

Funny feeling this Swedish side will be papped out by that Kosovan outfit, based on nothing but a gut feeling.

Either way I doubt we'll be making the groups this year, some of the names in the third round/play offs are a bit of an eye opener

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Funny feeling this Swedish side will be papped out by that Kosovan outfit, based on nothing but a gut feeling.

Would be a pretty big shock if so. They were Swedish champions two years ago, came 3rd last year and are right up there challenging again, in what is a pretty decent standard of league. As someone has mentioned already, though, it might facing the bigger, stronger side in Norrkoping might work out better for St Johnstone than playing an Eastern European diddy.

Ordabasy is an absolute fucker of a draw for Aberdeen. They're right up there with Astana and Almaty this season, and both of them are loaded, which suggests this mob might be as well.

Based on the likely tie against the Kazakh side.

Presumably due to the Kazakh league being "rich" and the long journey time?

I don't think anyone knows enough about them to offer a strong opinion either way - I'd say that being at home first is far from ideal though.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Either way I doubt we'll be making the groups this year, some of the names in the third round/play offs are a bit of an eye opener

"this year" :lol::lol::lol:

10 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Would be a pretty big shock if so. They were Swedish champions two years ago, came 3rd last year and are right up there challenging again, in what is a pretty decent standard of league. As someone has mentioned already, though, it might facing the bigger, stronger side in Norrkoping might work out better for St Johnstone than playing an Eastern European diddy.

I consider, maybe naively, Scandinavian sides to be similar to Scottish sides, in that they'll struggle a bit when overwhelming favourites. I've never actually checked if thats based on anything other than just a feeling I have.

24 minutes ago, TartanWarrior said:

"this year" :lol::lol::lol:

A man can dream...

FWIW, we could end up Trakai -> Prishtina -> Helsinki -> Malmo -> Groups.

Sweden are no great shakes. They are actually ranked immediately below us now. They got no clubs into groupstages last season. Their 3 EL entrants were eliminated by clubs from Eire, Greece and Azerbaijan... their CL entrant (which was Norrkoping) lost to Rosenborg in QR2. In last decade they've only managed 2 appearances in CL groups; 4 in EL groups.

However their leaders... v our 4th place... in QR2... is formidable.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I consider, maybe naively, Scandinavian sides to be similar to Scottish sides, in that they'll struggle a bit when overwhelming favourites. I've never actually checked if thats based on anything other than just a feeling I have.

Might not be far off being right, actually. In addition to what HJ has said above, I seem to remember AIK struggling last year against a team from Gibraltar, only winning 1-0 in both legs.

16 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Might not be far off being right, actually. In addition to what HJ has said above, I seem to remember AIK struggling last year against a team from Gibraltar, only winning 1-0 in both legs.

In AIK's defence, teams from Gibraltar are of a high quality...:unsure2:

Last season the 4 Swedish clubs only won 5 ties, which was actually worse than Scotland's - we managed 6. Plus 3 of theirs were against part-time UK opponents...

Goteborg beat Llandudno 7-1, Piast Gliwice (Poland) 3-0, HJK Helsinki 3-2
AIK beat Bala 4-0, Europa (Gibraltar) 2-0
Norrkopping and Hacken were eliminated in their first ties

By the same token I imagine Norrkopping are pretty happy with their route to QR3 requiring beating a debutant from Kosovo, then the 2nd best team in Lithuania or 4th in Scotland.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Last season the 4 Swedish clubs only won 5 ties, which was actually worse than Scotland's - we managed 6. Plus 3 of theirs were against part-time UK opponents...

Goteborg beat Llandudno 7-1, Piast Gliwice (Poland) 3-0, HJK Helsinki 3-2
AIK beat Bala 4-0, Europa (Gibraltar) 2-0
Norrkopping and Hacken were eliminated in their first ties

By the same token I imagine Norrkopping are pretty happy with their route to QR3 requiring beating a debutant from Kosovo, then the 2nd best team in Lithuania or 4th in Scotland.

Now that the dust has settled are you feeling a bit more optimistic 
i'm thinking 5 wins and a draw from QR1,Celtic home and away same for rangers be hard for the saints to win in Lithuania but think they can win the home tie 

47 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I wouldn't disagree (although Celtic = QR2).

Quite where your remaining 11 are coming from is more questionable.

If the teams get through to QR2 or QR3 for Celtic
The games become very important in terms of co-efficient 3 countries that are sitting right behind us
2 draws makes a win