European draws

wastecoatwilly

I also didn't see the dedicated draw thread so all the comments are in there, but worth repeating - Siroki Brijeg qualified for Europe by being the top of their bottom six group in the Bosnian league, so finished the campaign 7th. 

Edited by Menzel

All of these drawn teams are beatable. Think Rangers have the toughest draw if they end up going through and playing Limassol. Especially in the heat.

As for saints a trip to Sweden would be excellent if we make it through.

Nearby Mostar (or even Split - couple of hours) would be the place to pitch up if we played Siroki Brijeg - as I recall stopping there once, and it was a nothing place.

I reckon Ordabasy are winning that tie though.

So thats why theyve been signing up all the Mexicans.

The thought did cross my mind that that'll help.

Having had a look at the Swedish mob we're potentially facing. Finished third last season and gave Rosenberg a run for their money, losing 5-4 on aggregate last year. So no mugs that's for sure.

Horrendous draw for us in terms of progression. They won the Swedish league in 2015 and have been in contention the two years since - they're currently joint top after 13 games with 27 points, having won 4 and drawn 1 of their last 5 games. That's after playing a Lithuanian side who are also doing well during their own domestic season. After 15 games, they've only conceded 9 goals and are sitting 3rd.

Not beyond the realms we'll be in Q3, but a really difficult path to navigate to get there.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Horrendous draw for us in terms of progression.

tbf we do best when we have horrendous draws. Rosenborg and Luzern were nasty ties that few would have given us a chance in. We also drew with one of the best Turkish sides the year before.

But put us against diddies like Alashkert and we struggle.

Trakai is great, enjoy Saintees. The castle itself is a wee bit shit as a tourist attraction but it's a beautiful place. Between spending time there around the lake and the excellent nightlife in Vilnius that should be a fantastic trip. Dreadful second round draw for getting through, but no one gave you a chance against Rosenborg or Luzern so Norkopping isn't a foregone conclusion.

Aberdeen should make round three with no problems, AEL Limassol shouldn't be a walkover for Rangers but they're still clear favourites.

Celtic should really be looking at double figures on aggregate v Linfield.

49 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Assuming we beat the San Marinese, this was the one tie I did not want. An awful, awful draw. I can happily take the pumping as the gate receipts will more than compensate for any potential humiliation on the pitch, but the sh1te that goes with this tie is most unwelcome, as will all the extra security measures. It will bring out the knuckledraggers on both sides and a dreadful add for our local game.

My hope is that away fans are severely restricted at both games to minimise trouble, and that our potential home game is moved from 12th July.

Scotland's Shame.

43 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Trakai is great, enjoy Saintees. The castle itself is a wee bit shit as a tourist attraction but it's a beautiful place. Between spending time there around the lake and the excellent nightlife in Vilnius that should be a fantastic trip. Dreadful second round draw for getting through, but no one gave you a chance against Rosenborg or Luzern so Norkopping isn't a foregone conclusion.

Aberdeen should make round three with no problems, AEL Limassol shouldn't be a walkover for Rangers but they're still clear favourites.

Celtic should really be looking at double figures on aggregate v Linfield.

Will the Saints fans ever be in Trakai (unless they decide to go especially)? Trakai play at the old Vetra stadium in Vilnius. Actually the stadium which Scotland will visit in September.

Celtic should have no troubles onfield. Remains to be seen what will happen off it.

I'm not sure the other draws are quite what others may assume. St Johnstone should be good enough to beat Trakai, though the Lithuania runners-up are not among the real minnow material - Norrkoping would be a pretty tall order, though, which is disappointing. (That said no-one knows how good the debutant Kosovan sides will be!). Rangers should blow away Niederkorn and get past Limassol - they haven't played in Europe for several years and the heady days of reaching CL playoff and EL groups are well behind them. Aberdeen have in my eyes a reasonable but potentially tricky draw - Siroki Brijeg only qualified by winning the Bosnian FA Cup having finished Bottom 6 in the league, but Kazakhstan is a long trip and their sides are decent and improving.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Will the Saints fans ever be in Trakai (unless they decide to go especially)? Trakai play at the old Vetra stadium in Vilnius. Actually the stadium which Scotland will visit in September.

Ah, I hadn't realised that. Very well, stay in Vilnius and get pished. Cracking city.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aberdeen should make round three with no problems

Not sure where you're coming from with that one.

I suspect it will be Ordabasy.  Currently 3rd in Kazakh league, which is in mid-season and improving each season with a lot of finance behind it. They are 2pts behind Kairat who knocked us out a couple of seasons back - and have pumped Astana (recent CL qualifiers) 3-0 already.

Given that will our first 180 minutes of the season with a "transitional" team against one at full match fitness, I am not expecting "no problems".