Sir Billy Connolly

Someone link to the proclaimers song - 'in recognition' please.

That sums the honours system up beautifully.

The sooner we leave this establishment charade for an independent Scotland the better.

As for this particular news...meh. He's definitely not as funny or rebellious as he was back in the day - but that's life. You get old. You change. I actually quite like some of the more random programmes he's made in recent years. Not that funny, but interesting.

I think the quote above that describes him as living to the beat of his own drum is quite accurate. People expected far too much of him, and that was always going to end in disappointment.

I'm just amazed I heard his name in the news and it's not because he's deed.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I blame that Stephenson cùnt. Never the same since she got her claws in.

Same. Always hated Ryan.

Billy Connolly taking one is up there with Sir Mick Jagger and Lord Prescott in the disappointing stakes as I thought he would be able to see through it but I can't be as harsh as some on here. He declined a bit in quality as he got older and when he stopped drinking but he's still a bit of a hero of mine. 

I don't get the anger because he's different now. He was always into art and was a square peg on a round hole working in a shipyard. I don't think he's ever tried to hide where he came from and recently spoke highly of Patrick and Glasgow on tv.

34 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I don't get the anger because he's different now. He was always into art and was a square peg on a round hole working in a shipyard. I don't think he's ever tried to hide where he came from and recently spoke highly of Patrick and Glasgow on tv.

Being into art doesn't really mean that you consequently want a trinket and an honorific title from a monarch.

Connolly is one of those guys that can do whatever the f**k he wants. Transcends all criticism because at the end of the day, he did what he wanted to do, it was amazing, literally changed society (just think about that, imagine being so incredible, so unique, you change society). He's earned the right to be beholden to nothing, no doctrine, no idealogy, nothing. 

So, to recap,

If John Lennon wanted to be bread making house husband to a wacky conceptual artist in his latter years - f**k you, you can't touch the guy.

If John Lydon wants to do a butter ad to fund his next tour - f**k you, you can't touch the guy.

If Billy Connolly wants to tell me to f**k off on an on set catering bus in 1992 before storming out an interview - f**k me, I can't touch the guy. And neither can you.

These guys were beyond, way beyond the do's and don'ts of conventional wisdom.

Connolly is one of those guys that can do whatever the f**k he wants. Transcends all criticism because at the end of the day, he did what he wanted to do, it was amazing, literally changed society (just think about that, imagine being so incredible, so unique, you change society). He's earned the right to be beholden to nothing, no doctrine, no idealogy, nothing. 
So, to recap,
If John Lennon wanted to be bread making house husband to a wacky conceptual artist in his latter years - f**k you, you can't touch the guy.
If John Lydon wants to do a butter ad to fund his next tour - f**k you, you can't touch the guy.
If Billy Connolly wants to tell me to f**k off on an on set catering bus in 1992 before storming out an interview - f**k me, I can't touch the guy. And neither can you.

This post took a bit of an unexpected turn...

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

So, to recap,

What did he change again?

Also, Johnny fucking Rotten? The sex pistols were a manufactured boy band

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

So, to recap,

Changed society?

Billy Connolly's first wife's maiden name was one of the most unusual according to Scotland's People. There was only 45 entries of the name in Scotland since 1855 and 41 of them appear to the 1850s and then nothing to IRIS comes along 90 years later.

57 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Johnny Rotten shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Billy Connolly...

I think this is probably the first time anyone has compared them. But since we're doing it. Lydon has continued to push creative boundaries, regardless of whether you like his music. Connolly has regressed from the boundaries to become a much more establishment figure.

6 minutes ago, cement said:

Silly me. I obviously didn't appreciate the artistic merit of his country life butter adverts. Or getting chased by emus in the jungle.

I agree those decisions turned him in to the nation's favourite punk for a while. He's also an irritating wee twerp, but he did those to finance tours and music production.

Archived